Member Profile - Lorby's liberty

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - Lorby's liberty

Postby lorby » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi everyone! My name's Lorby and I've had my new gen4 liberty 3.0R -B spec for just over a week now :).

Thought I'd make a progress thread as I plan to be doing a fair bit to it! It has big shoes to fill haha!

These are my cars I had before purchasing the liberty

An 89 JDM 3rd gen S1 prelude

A 91 AUDM 3rd gen S2 prelude

Both fairly heavily modified with the 91 being turbo, unfortunately the 89 has become a bit of a handful trying to maintain now. It has too many issues and I was just spending too much time fixing crap, the body was not great and the paint had gone to hell. After 12 years of ownership and being my first car it's been hard saying goodbye though. I'll stlll be hanging onto the 91 as my project car though.

This is the lib just after I picked her up. 2004 3.0 spec b with the 6 speed box and sunroof.

Mods to come:
  • Gearbox and rear diff fluid with syntrax 75-90
  • Change reverse light switch (have the part sitting on my desk and have bought some crows feet spanners)
  • Fit window visors (ordered from the US)
  • Front and rear whiteline swaybars (Have already priced the liberty kit but need to confirm they can supply the 35z front bar instead of the 30z listed as I believe that won't fit the H6). heavy duty rear mounts, lift kit and some replacement bushings and linkages.
  • Order and fit raptor headers when they're available in a few weeks time
  • After exhaust is done definitely a tune!
  • Repair or get repaired the centre diff (I believe that's what's probably making the rattly clunking noise)
  • Fit stereo from old car to replace mcintosh pos. (fascia and steering wheel adapter ordered already)
  • Fit alarm and immobiliser from old car
  • Look into a replacement clutch and flywheel. I believe I need a 240mm STI clutch and an FF03 flywheel?
  • DRL lights (not for the wank factor, simply for better visibilty)
  • HID kit retrofit maybe
  • Finding a decent set of Subaru 17" wheels to fit slightly larger tyres, I'm finding the 18's too low profile for me.
lorby

Car: MY05 3.0R-b

Re: Member Profile - Lorby's liberty

Postby lorby » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:45 pm

Did my very first mod on the weekend and also broke my first clip of course!

Removed the resonator and plugged the hole in the airbox and screwed a new hose bracket on to replace the broken clip:

Did a bit more work today:

I am absolutely hating the fly by wire throttle. It's laggy, the pedal is stiff and sticky and just overall crap in my opinion. I pulled the assembly off cleaned it up a bit and tried to get a bit of lube in there without damaging the sensor. Have also removed the second spring as I find it much better being lighter. Definitely looking forward to a tune to hopefully alleviate more of these problems.

Did an oil change as I'm not sure what oil it was running. Had been serviced at Subaru in October by a "technican". I checked the dipstick when I bought the car and it was very overfilled but I thought that might just have been because the car was on a slant..... I drained over 7 litres of oil before even taking the filter off. Put in the correct amount of Penrite 10w40 synthetic

Been reading through common problems and found my surge tank had a crack in it. Used a soldering iron to try and seal it up a bit, will need to keep an eye on it.

Definitely looking into clutch/flywheel options, I'm not sure if it's just me or the clutch is on it's way out but I'm finding it quite difficult to drive. The friction point is very high on the pedal and has zero bite to it. I managed to slip it something fierce going around a round about today while trying to give it a bit of stick, could smell it pretty bad :?. Doesn't seem to be slipping in high gear low rpm and heavy load though.
lorby

Postby lorby » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Had these sitting on the door step on Tuesday morning. Pretty efficient delivery considering I only ordered them on the weekend! Xforce catback system for the H6 but in mild steel. I know stainless is better but I've found stainless to be a bit tinny/raspy sometimes so I thought I'd try these out :)

lorby

Postby applegeek897 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:52 am

Interesting stuff so far man.

I find it interesting what you have to say about the throttle. I actually really enjoy the E-Throttle, no lag in mine at all, but hey I haven't driven a untuned H6 so that could very well be the issue. A tune especially when done with E85 IMO completely transforms the feel and response of the car.

I've got the X-Force mildsteel catback on my car, sounded the business, specially when paired with Raptor Headers and Highflow cats :)
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby lorby » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:14 am

Hi mate.
I keep hearing the difference between tuned and untuned is night and day, so I expect that should fix most of it :). Although after taking off the second spring and leaving the pedal with just one has already made a noticeable difference.
lorby

Postby lorby » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:25 am

Looking at clutch/flywheel options soon. Is it just a 240mm clutch and flywheel from a wrx sti that will bolt up? Will I need new flywheel bolts when changing to a single mass flywheel or are they reusable? Will change thrust bearing and pilot bearing while I'm at it. Already have to change the reverse switch, and get the Centre diff rebuilt so I figure I might as well!

How do the smf flywheel and clutches go on the libertys. I see lots on the wrx stis. So I assume it can't be too noisy/chattery? Do any of you guys run lightweight flywheels? Have one in the prelude and I love it but obviously this is a different beast. Thanks guys!
lorby

Postby lorby » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:26 pm

Can't have nice things :( got my first dent at the shops even though I was only in there for 20 mins and parked right at the back so there was only about 10 spots behind me :(.

Anyway, fitted the xforce exhaust today!

Not quite 100% bolt on, the bolts included don't fit in the factory cat flange. Had to dig up something a bit smaller.

All on now, sounds pretty meaty, possibly a little droney though. Will see how it goes. It has made a miss the car has off idle glaringly obvious now, just on take off the car stutters noticeably and then picks up fine, seems to be a bit worse when the cars cold and/or ac on but it's pretty much always there.

Bought some 17" liberty wheels to put on. Getting more convinced I'm the only person in Sydney who has a different opinion of what good condition looks like. Look at the rash and scratches on these damn things! Going to bog and paint them probably gold. But will decide a bit later on :).

New double din fascia has arrived so I can piss off this stereo. And going to have to find time to pull the centre diff out to get rebuilt by corgiwerx :)
lorby

Postby lorby » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Centre diff done and reverse switch changed!

Pulled rear housing off the box and pulled out the centre diff and off to corgiwerx for a rebuild! I wished there was more of a guide for taking off the gearbox housing and/or changing the reverse switch. Might try and take some pics next time I'm in there. Ran a slightly thinner washer on the reverse switch to try and minimise those issues with it not switching properly. Luckily for me my arm seems to fit beside the box and I could thread the switch in pretty easily. Sealed the housing with anaerobic gasket maker, hopefully it seals well enough! Running 75w90 syntrax in the gearbox now.

New weathershields on:

Changed the wheels, ~2012 WRX 17x8 wheels. Scrub slightly at full lock but I think It's just on the splash shield.

Changed the rear motor in the passenger door central locking. Found rather than trying to glue it back shut I just drilled the plastic and put a screw/nut through it

Now have been working on the stereo. Turns out someone installed some Nokia wired phone controller pos. It even has a speaker of it's own rather than using the stereo. The wiring was pretty bad, to power it someone cut a fuse in half and jammed the power wires into the socket using the cut up prongs, it was fun sorting that crap out.
Also discovered from a bit of searching this my05 model has the lan controller in between the steering controls, so had to cut and rerun them over to the aswc-1. Their provided wiring instructions are useless, luckily one person on the forums had listed the proper wiring and have it all working now.

Got the very expensive stupid double din adapter wrapped black to match a bit better. (It looks a lot better irl)

Now onto running 4 guage power down the length of the car and getting the 2 amps up and running, then swapping my hertz speakers into the front. Hopefully the stock speaker wiring is enough :/

A question now, these 2 single wire white plugs are sitting near the ignition harness that are perhaps something the installers left behind, anyone have any idea what they might be for?

lorby

Postby applegeek897 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:23 pm

You look to be making some good process mate!
applegeek897

Postby lorby » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 am

Cheers mate! I have to admit, the centre diff and reverse switch were a bit more time consuming than I was hoping!

A few other things done:

Thought I might as well change the cabin filter while I had half the car apart

Doing some wiring for my amps, both to distribution blocks. Original plan was to put an amp under the seat to replace the factory McIntosh. Unfortunately jaycar amp was far too large to fit :P

Bit of door wiring

Replacing tweeters

No wonder the factory speakers sounded like crap

Head unit in. Unfortunately the double din fascia is jamming up the fold out screen mechanism :(. Will need to work out how I can space it out or something

Have these guys (plus associated hardware) ready to go in. Just waiting to hear about the raptor headers and I'll do them around the same time. Also have to order the AVO heavy rear mount

And probably should work out why she's missing like crazy off idle!

lorby

Postby lorby » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:55 am

Been a bit busy with other stuff lately so not much progress but these arrived today:

lorby

Postby MadmanSean » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:34 am

Noice work! Keep the updates coming :D
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby applegeek897 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:35 am

Good stuff man, heaps of goodies happening!
applegeek897

Postby lorby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:32 am

Cars been booked in for the exhaust work now. 2x 100CPI cats, deleting the 3rd cat, replacing the xforce hot dog with a mid muffler and upgrading all the pipework to match the headers and cat back including a new Y pipe. also doing extra bung for a wideband 02.

Still not really digging the silver colour, thinking about getting the car wrapped through a friend. Possibly purple but haven't decided yet!
lorby

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:25 pm

You'll want to log the car eg cyl misfires, alvs/avcs angles etc :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Next

Return to Post your mods