Member Profile - James' H6 Wagon - SKD55S

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - James' H6 Wagon - SKD55S

Postby MadmanSean » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Car Looks Immaculate! Nice work mate!

Id be keen to see this thing in person at MotoGP, i'll be there for sure :D
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby gtbsti » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 pm

applegeek897 wrote:Image

Sits perfectly. Well done
gtbsti

Car: MY08 GT Spec.B Tuned By STi Wagon
Profile URL: JDM Wagonist

Postby applegeek897 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 pm

MadmanSean wrote:Car Looks Immaculate! Nice work mate!

Id be keen to see this thing in person at MotoGP, i'll be there for sure :D

Thanks man sounds like a plan!
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby applegeek897 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:43 pm

July 2017: So my initial plan for my brakes has changed. Basically just doing Brembo's for the front with new calipars, painted new pads and rotors I'd be looking at over 2K, now considering I could do new pads, lines and rotors front and rear for half the price it really makes more sense, specially when there are other things that money can be spent on. So at this case I'm just waiting for my tax-return to enter my bank account and the second it does that will all be ordered.

I've been trying some new car-wash and wheel cleaner lately, it wasn't easy switching from what I've been using for years but I'm absolutely love the Super Syrup products so far, the names will forever make me laugh.

It ended up doing a good job.

Again once the tax-return comes in a plan on doing a extremely major in-car-entertainment overhaul, but while that will happen in due time anything over 5 volume is completely unlistenable. I'm under the understanding that the factory Macintosh system while somewhat decent is pretty weak and very common to blowing. I was lucky enough to find a mostly good set of factory speakers uber cheap from a mate, so at least in the meantime I can have somewhat half decent speakers.

Door card off.

The amount of factory sound deadening is actually fairly impressive.

Man oh man these were BAD, basically torn completely all the way round.

While I was there and considering I also had them I replaced the 4 inch speakers, the passenger side was fine but the drivers side needed doing.

Rinse and repeat for the other side.

Holy balls the difference is huge, amazing how good working speakers are (mind blown).

A decent set of OEM floor mats recently popped up for sale and I was very keen to burn the old Supercheap Auto ones, mats that actually clip in is a nice thing.

Luckily it was a complete set front and rear.

Something I've been thinking about doing for some time is to remove all the stickers on the car. I liked them at one point on the car but they don't really do it for me anymore and removing them will really help clean the car up I think anyway.

Started with drivers side, before / after.

Passenger before / after.

Front before and after.

Rear before and after.

I had to keep the chopped sticker.

I need to remove a small amount of residue but otherwise it's looking much cleaner.

Lastly after a quick trip to Pick n Payless I managed to find a couple gen 4's, while most of the good stuff was already gone I managed to find a decent set of front guard liners which I really needed.

I also grabbed a bunch of these plastic devil screw clip things that should help to replace the missing ones in the car now.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:52 pm

August 2017: I finally had some time aside today to fix the steering wheel. I seemed to have been around 2 splines off being perfectly centre, not a huge deal but I did want to fix it.

This was basically what true straight looked like.

Having done this before it was a quick and easy affair, airbag off and out.

Corrected

And back together, I took the car for a drive, besides the fact that the car could barely keep itself running, something that is normal for me when putting the battery back on, it actually felt strange having the wheel straight and it going straight. I just got so used to it.

Also gave the old girl a quick wash. I really need to raise the car a bit too.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applegeek897

Postby jslayz » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Looks good at that height though!
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby applegeek897 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:23 am

jslayz wrote:Looks good at that height though!

I know I know, turns out for an unknown reason the drivers side had actually lowered about 25mm, causing the issue, more on that below though.

August 2017: Time to hopefully sort the front of the car out a-bit, basically the entire front end was held on with two zip-ties on either end of the car, bad show.

Lots of this.

While I did get a whole heap of plastic clips from Pick n' Payless it was fairly rushed and I didn't know what I really needed. So the front end came off and the digging began.

The drivers side was the main culprit, as that was the side that took the hit while in the hands of the previous owner.

Zip-ties or nothing...

Then we got to this. The previous owner had rigged the fog-lights to only come on when the high beams were activated. This was done because high-beam HID's were installed and they would be too bright anyway, but one, I don't use fog-lights at all, as rare as that might be for a Subaru driver and they didn't work with that setup anymore anyway, plus I thought they screwed up the rest of the headlights but more on this in a moment.

All the unnecessary stuff was removed and I returned the wire to the way it was, mostly, I couldn’t find my soldering iron so crimps and tape will have to do for now.

Yay for single foglight, the other side doesn’t have a connector at all so that will have to be obtained from a wreckers.

Moving on to fixing the headlights, they have been like this for some time now, the high beams on low, drivers side on low and passengers side on normal.

Then it hit me, fuse?

Yep there is was, drivers side headlight fuse blown.

Quick pop down to Supercheap and a new fuse was acquired.

What do you know, perfect now.

Lastly the suspension. After finally getting the car into the air with my shitty jack, I straight away saw the problem.

For what ever reason, despite being setup and alignment by pros, it seemed like the shaft was ‘self lowering’ if you will.

It ended up being a good 25mm lower then the other side, which was so strange because everything actually felt really tight. Regardless I raised it back up to level we shall see how that goes, I will certainly being going back to Heasman to at least get it setup again, they are welcome to have the car for longer then they had it last time if that means the job will be done better. Hey maybe there is something wrong with the coilover, we shall see.

Inside of the guard was not happy…

Sitting better now.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:25 pm

August 2017: Tax came in today and I didn't want to waste anytime, so I went straight from work to Ryda to get the bulk of everything I needed to do my entire Audio overhaul.

The main bulk of the stuff includes,

Headunit: Sony XAV-AX100
Front Speakers: Morel Hybrid 6.5" Two-Way Component 
Rear Speakers: Morel Tempo Ultra Integra 602 6.5” Two-way
Amplifier: JL Audio HD900/5 HD 5-Channel Amplifier
Sound Insulation: DS18 sound deadener bulk pack (2x)

The fronts are on order but should be here on Thursday to make for a weekend install. More on the components another time though.

Something I do want to get started on is the headunit, I truely hate the current one. This is such a nice little unit and very reasonable priced all things considering, plus most importantly CarPlay!

Comes with everything I need except a reverse camera which is fine as I can use the current one.

It's such a nice little unit, should fit nicely in the car.

Kinda strange it being a double din with single guts, but I suppose considering it doesn't have a CD player and being modern it doesn't need the extra space.

Goodbye.

With no surprise they was quite the wiring job inside. The previous owner had hooked all the extra bits up to work like the parking brake and reverse camera, both a good and bad thing I suppose.

The kicker amp that was in the car doesn't use RCA cables and instead uses this block thing, it'll stay for now so that I can use the current setup until the new front speakers arrive and I replace everything.

I was hoping the connector was the same considering they were both Sony but no, so chopped it got. Colours were the same though so that was a bonus.

Quick bit of wiring and everything is good. At least most of this will be replaced and significantly neatened up with the new install, considering it will only be in for a week of so it'll do fine.

In she goes.

With the fascia back on it was way to deep and needed to come out a bit.

After redoing it and bringing it out as far as possible it looked good but due to the design on the unit the actual fascia won't go all the way in, damn.

Because of this the trim doesn't go back on correctly so I will have to either go halfway in-between with the unit sitting a touch further in, which could effect the nob, or trim the fascia. Tomorrow I will attack this but for now, the drive to work will be like this.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applegeek897

Postby KelvinTaylor88 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Just read through your whole build thread, really love the attention to detail and effort put in both with the car and updating this thread!

How are you finding the Teins after now having had them for a while? Was always curious by them before I got a good deal on some Shockworks.
Also I think a front lip should be on the agenda!
2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B Urban Grey Metallic
Tuned, Raptor Headers, K2 Gear Spec Neo Catback, HKS ES Premium Ti Limited Mufflers, Shockworks Coilovers, Rays 57 Pro w/ Titanium Lip, Advan AD08R, JDM Front End w/ Zerosports Front Lip, Corazon Grille, Deltaspeed Side Skirts, Custom Headlights, Stickered, and more...

WTB: Diffuser, Subaru Badge, Brembos?
KelvinTaylor88

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec-B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26710

Postby applegeek897 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:28 am

KelvinTaylor88 wrote:Just read through your whole build thread, really love the attention to detail and effort put in both with the car and updating this thread!

How are you finding the Teins after now having had them for a while? Was always curious by them before I got a good deal on some Shockworks.

Thanks man, means a lot. The Teins ride very nicely, I think anyway. Although I am comparing them to 345,000km+ Bilsteins. Saying that though, I'm not sure if this is a part issue or a setup issue, but since Heasman did the work on it the drivers side as slowly been dropping flick I had to fix in the upper post, and doing that seems to have thrown the alignment out, so I'll have to book it in again and see what can be done.

Yes lip is certainly needed but I have other things to do at this point, but hey, if one come up for a decent price I'll jump on it for sure.
applegeek897

Postby KelvinTaylor88 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:25 am

applegeek897 wrote:
KelvinTaylor88 wrote:Just read through your whole build thread, really love the attention to detail and effort put in both with the car and updating this thread!

Thanks man, means a lot. The Teins ride very nicely, I think anyway. Although I am comparing them to 345,000km+ Bilsteins. Saying that though, I'm not sure if this is a part issue or a setup issue, but since Heasman did the work on it the drivers side as slowly been dropping flick I had to fix in the upper post, and doing that seems to have thrown the alignment out, so I'll have to book it in again and see what can be done.

Yes lip is certainly needed but I have other things to do at this point, but hey, if one come up for a decent price I'll jump on it for sure.

Yeah i read your post about the coilover problem, how weird. Hopefully Heasman gets it all sorted out for you or maybe Tein's warranty if it is a hardware issue?

What are in the more immediate plans then?
Although remember, I may no someone parting out a zerosports front lip soon :wink:
2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B Urban Grey Metallic
Tuned, Raptor Headers, K2 Gear Spec Neo Catback, HKS ES Premium Ti Limited Mufflers, Shockworks Coilovers, Rays 57 Pro w/ Titanium Lip, Advan AD08R, JDM Front End w/ Zerosports Front Lip, Corazon Grille, Deltaspeed Side Skirts, Custom Headlights, Stickered, and more...

WTB: Diffuser, Subaru Badge, Brembos?
KelvinTaylor88

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec-B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26710

Postby applegeek897 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:35 pm

August 2017: So something really shit happened, but I'm extremely lucky it happened while reversing into my car spot rather then happening driving on the highway, because then things could have been much worse.

So while entering my garage and turning to reverse in I heard a large clunk and the steering felt super weird. I straight away got out and could see something was clearly wrong with the drivers side wheel. After jacking it up I quickly saw that I had broken a endlink.

But then I noticed this...

Yeah completely rooted control arm.

Again I am extremely lucky this happened the way it did and not at any speed, because it's very likely the car would have been written off. Anyway after hours of completely blocking my garage a tow truck driver came so I could use their go-jacks, because it was Sunday evening and everyone was closed, I could push the car into my spot so I could fix it.

While it isn't great that they broke, the car is just about at 350,000km and something like that was bound to break, rest assured I will be having a very good look around the car to see if there is anything else like this that could fail in that way.

Thanks to the CorgiWerx team I was able to sort out a replacement set of lower control arms.

They might have looked pretty dirty but after a clean they are looking decent.

I've ordered both Whiteline W0506 lower inner front bushes, KCA334 lower inner rear bushes. Plus I thought hey, while I'm there lets get a KCA313 Front Roll centre/bump steer correction kit, apparently 'essential for lowered cars' but it also means fresh ball joints and tie rod ends and the car will be going in for an alignment anyway.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applegeek897

Postby jslayz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Very Lucky!!
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby applegeek897 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:55 pm

August 2017: So time to fix this thing, after a couple of days of running around to find parts it’s time to get started.

I started with a quick trip to Pick N Payless to grab some end-links.

Once I got home it was time to start on the work.

After it was up on stands I could get a proper look with how bad things were.

And to no surprise, things were truely munted.

Time to fix it all, starting with the end-links a 14mm socket and some WD40 helps crack the nut.

While a 14mm ratchet and a hex-key did the main work.

Out they came, not looking good.

Then the ball joint comes out, this was surprisingly quick and painless.

Followed by the lower inner rear bushing, interestingly it does seem to have a aftermarket poly unit, likely Whiteline but not the KCA334.

Lastly the star of the show, these also seemed to have a whiteline unit in it.

Certainly wasn’t in good shape.

Once everything was out it was a rinse and repeat affair for the other side.

While I could blame the end-link breaking on the other side, the passenger one was extremely loose.

With the old arms out it is time to get into the good stuff.

The KCA313 looks great, hopefully we should be seeing a nice change with these, even if for just a fresh set of ball joints and tie-rod ends.

Ball joints

Tie-rod ends

One of the very strange things I noticed is that for what ever reason one of the bushes was missing the metal thing in the middle… Who knows, I imagine it didn’t help things. *I actually found it later.

New stuff certainly looking better then the old.

Getting everything back in the car took way longer then I originally thought, which was very frustrating but oh well. With the help of a shit tone of the 'high performance' lube the arm ended up in.

Once that was done it was time to get the ball joints in, after a quick sand on the inside to clean any debris they slotted in nicely.

The tie-rod end was a bit of a bitch to get off but eventually it came loose.

Goodbye old and rubbish.

In goes the new one.

Once that was done it was another case of rinse and repeat for the other side.

After all the components were in it was time to time to torque everything done.

Pins in.

Then to finish everything up, end-links.

Wheels back on and done.

While this was certainly an unexpected event it gave me a chance to do some upgrades and I can't say how lucky I was that this didn't happen at speed.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:00 pm

August 2017: Before I take the car for it's first drive since doing the suspension I though it a good idea to quickly to an oil change on the transmission, something that I actually haven't done at all on the car. According to the book, I believe it's been over 50,000km so well overdue, for me anyway. I decided to go with Penrite Pro Gear 75W-90.

After a bit of quick reading it seemed that I needed to get a Torx T70 to get the main drain plug off, this was so difficult to find, no one stocked them surprisingly but finally Sydney Tools had a set, which I really didn't want as I actually have any other size anyway, so yeah 90 bucks later I got this.

Car off the ground.

Torx ready to go and that's when I saw, it wasn't -_-

So yeah turns out it's actually a 21mm, oh well, could be worse. Once it was off, the oil came out nice and easy and happily the drain plug looked pretty clean.

Next up was this 14mm which basically instantly melted and rounded off, really felt like it was made of jelly, so yeah that's another thing to deal with, but for another time. I feel like I got most of the oil out but before my trip in October I'll do it again and address that issue.

The 6MT's dipstick seems really poorly placed there is just no room. So some of the intake had to come off.

Once that was done and filled I took it for a drive and instantly noticed smoother shifts, so much nicer.

Then the car was off to Heasman to get the alignment done and a small height and coilover adjustment.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applegeek897

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods