Member Profile - James' H6 Wagon - SKD55S

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - James' H6 Wagon - SKD55S

Postby applegeek897 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:31 pm

January 2017: So after what was probably more then 6 months I finally got the short shifter and bushings installed.

I went over the Peter / CorgiWerx for the help with the install, after all he did make them, and has done this install many times.

Started bright an early, pro tip, get engineer to jack car up. Yes eyelid fell off, luckily at home, need to heat-gun to help mold a bit better to shape of the headlight.

We decided to do the bushings under the car first.

Started with taking the heat shield off, then the gearbox crossmember. Due to the way the exhaust is laid out on the H6 this is apparently much harder then it is on a GT.

There were a bunch of pesky little things like clips refusing to come out and then fact that one of the bolts was actually installed the opposite way, we were guessing that happened when the clutch was done by a previous mechanic. That and the fact that we obversely didn't have a hoist it made the process quite lengthy, but eventually it all came out.

The bushings here weren't too bad but certainly still due for replacement.

After the new bushings were pressed in and the knuckle got a clean it all went back together, and much quicker too. Next up was the shifter.

Leather and knob off

Then bit by bit everything came off

Pretty festy, it got a small clean before everything went back in.

Short shifter installed.

Then removed old and installed the new bushes

Peter also decided to take out a small curve section on the shifter bracket thing, just to make things a bit easier when reinstalling.

Then everything went back in

And done.

Man what a difference it makes too, not only is the shorter throw nicer but the extreme amount of slop is completely gone. So much better!
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby applegeek897 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:05 pm

February 2017: Car has been running well as per usual. Rego / pink-slip has just happened which certainly hurt the wallet / mod money but its just something that has to be done.

The only issue the car has had lately is its been leaking quite a bit of coolant but at completely random times. Everything looked good, hoses were fine and the radiator is only a couple of years old. Turns out in the end to just be a bad radiator cap, which is lucky, could've been something much worse. A $9.00 replacement item fixed the problem quick smart. Its a non genuine item but it will do for now.

The other day I saw a post of Garage 88s Facebook page regarding a recently released Cusco rear diff brace. Ive seen a few liberty owners running a similar version of this from Beatrush. This is the Cusco version.

I had a quick look under the car and to no surprise considering the milage of the car, the rear diff bushings that connect to the rear sub frame were completely shot.

Considering the condition of the above I’d imagine the ones that are on the actual diff support are also completely gone as it’s hard to see from that particular angle.

Whiteline sell replacement polyurethane units for both the support and rear section. Due to the fact that the Cusco brace is fairly inexpensive, similar price to if I were to purchase aftermarket bushings and pay a replacement labour, I may as well just get the Cusco unit for a swap. Plus it’s a good excuse to get started on the Cusco band wagon which I’m sure will get out of hand one day. This is what it will end up looking like.

As far as the actual rear bushings are concerned I will likely just get some whiteline units and replace at home. It’s no easy job, but considering the cost of labour I’ll happily attempt it at home.

A bunch of other goodies have also been ordered today.

- 3D floor mats front and rear in carpet
- Gas bonnet struts
- Genuine Subaru oil filter
- Genuine washer and overflow caps
- Genuine radiator cap
- Atrax Engineering laser cut battery tie-down bracket
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:20 pm

February 2017: This was something that I suppose I wasn't expecting to do today. Bridgestone have once again run their buy 3 and get the 4th free promotion on select tyres, one being the Potenza series. The last two times this happened I didn't manage to get any tyres in my size, they were always out of stock, so this time I wasn't going to let it go. Called straight away and headed over to Bridgestone Select.

While I was there I thought I may way well just get an alignment as its been pulling right a touch lately, its wasn't going to be anything perfect, but its cheap and it'll need to be done again anyway in a couple months when coilovers go on, at that point I will go to Heasmans Suspension and get it done properly.

The absolute rubbish cheap shit Goodride's had served fairly well over the last year plus and it looks like they have hardly worn.

The biggest difference Ive noticed so far is they are significantly more comfortable and quiet. The grip isn't there just yet but they have to be broken in so no problem there. I love the sidewalls, just a nicer shape and kinda gives an illusion of a smaller profile.

I would have loved to have gotten some Advan Neova AD08Rs but considering the price difference I just couldn't justify it at the moment. Hey, maybe next time.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby SH30RB » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:10 pm

applegeek897 wrote:
After the new bushings were pressed in and the knuckle got a clean it all went back together, and much quicker too. Next up was the shifter.

Leather and knob off

Then bit by bit everything came off

Pretty festy, it got a small clean before everything went back in.

Short shifter installed.

Then removed old and installed the new bushes

I definitely need to do my selector bushes, sooooo much slop in my shifter, was also thinking of doing the short throw adaptor for super short through on my STi short shifter lol

Also, what a satisfying thread to read James, to think what the car was like when you first got it to what it is now, easily added the value of the car a couple of $$$
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby applegeek897 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:16 pm

SH30RB wrote:I definitely need to do my selector bushes, sooooo much slop in my shifter, was also thinking of doing the short throw adaptor for super short through on my STi short shifter lol

Also, what a satisfying thread to read James, to think what the car was like when you first got it to what it is now, easily added the value of the car a couple of $$$

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Your car has certainly been huge inspiration for me. I actually didn't think about the double short shifter but that could actually be really cool haha. Bushes really do make SUCH a big difference, specially on a high k car.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:22 pm

March 2017: My gas bonnet struts arrived today and I wasted no time getting them on.

Out with the old…

In with the new…

It’s such a neat little improvement. Plus for the price and ease of installation it’s really a no brainer.

I also dropped past Garage 88 today to pick up the Cusco diff brace. While I was there I thought I may as well also get a strut brace, spent so much this week whats a touch more -_- Anyway I ended up going with a Cusco unit with the built in Brake Master Cylinder Stopper. I was told the it wasn’t compatible with an H6, which seemed strange to me as it was with ever other model of gen 4. A few people on the club.lib Facebook page seemed to be running it with no issues so I bit the bullet.

Another employee at Garage 88 mentioned that he had installed a few on an H6 but the intake got in the way and needed to be cut up and filled up to make room, I was interested to see if this was the case but it turned out it fitted perfectly and by cleared by miles.

All tightened up and working wonders.

More shots because why not.

Diff brace will go on over the weekend. Also spoke to 3D mats and unfortunately they are completely out of stock of the carpet style mats. I’m not keen on the rubber so I’ll either wait until stock comes in or go for another option, maybe just finding a mint set of legacy mats is the go.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby MadmanSean » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:42 am

Very keen to hear how the car feels with the new TRICK Diff carrier :D
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby applegeek897 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:38 am

MadmanSean wrote:Very keen to hear how the car feels with the new TRICK Diff carrier :D

Hahaha. Main reason was the bushings are toast, and considering it would have to come off to replace them anyway I thought i'd get some Cusco goodness, well that's what I tell myself... Hey it was only $220
applegeek897

Postby MadmanSean » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:16 pm

applegeek897 wrote:Hahaha. Main reason was the bushings are toast, and considering it would have to come off to replace them anyway I thought i'd get some Cusco goodness, well that's what I tell myself... Hey it was only $220

My bushes are also toast... $220!! Placing an order now! Justified HAHA :D
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby applegeek897 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:21 am

March 2017: Another goodie from Atrax Engineering arrived, this time a battery tie-down. Nothing special but another nice addition to the engine bay. I decided to go with a grey anodised finish.

It's a really nicely designed unit with cutout for the bolts.

Out with the old...

In with the new...

It does feel much stronger. Is it making a difference? Probably not, but at at least it looks better. Same the battery is so ugly. I'll be getting some battery and ABS covers at some point anyway so oh well.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:46 am

March 2017: My care package arrived from BCW today

Got a bunch of nice new genuine items

Genuine Oil filter

Genuine H6 radiator cap

Genuine Washer-bottle

Also grabbed an overflow bottle cap but I didn't realise it was a different unit for the H6

Goodbye bye non genuine rad cap

Goodbye old washer-bottle cap

Why bother with these little things? Because I already needed to do an order with Benny and they were so cheap so why not clean the bay up a bit.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:56 am

March 2017: Picked up some DAMD goodness from Garage 88 toady.

The excitement was real.

So happy with the look and feel of the unit, a brand new wheel is such a nice thing.

Seems so well put together with nice touches.

Only thing left to do now is install it. This wheel is a post face unit so I'll have to do some electrical conversion to make everything work, doesn't look like it will be to hard though. I have a post facelift wheel, airbag, controls and clock spring on the way which will make the conversion possible.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:52 pm

March 2017: Today was the day to throw the DAMD wheel in. The old wheel had seen better days years ago. It was well over due for replacement. Even to the point where it was actually starting to peel on the right side.

Even the media controls were completely haggard.

Started with some pesky torks T30 screws to remove the airbag.

With the airbag and horn connector off the airbag came off with ease.

The 17mm bolt came off with some help from a big pry bar. Looks so strange with no wheel.

I also picked up a normal momo wheel from a post FL GT that I could rob the controls, airbag and wiring from to use on the new wheel.

The cruise control needed to be removed from the old wheel so I could steal the connector from it.

The same deal for the media controls / horn

Everything was then spliced together to make it all work. I did purchase a post FL clock spring as it might have been a better option but this worked perfectly.

All sorted, time to get it in the car.

Airbag on and done, man what a difference. Certainly something I need to get used to though. This total cost of this was about $800 but that included also getting a another wheel to do the post face conversion. A hard number to stomach but a no brainer once it's actually on the car.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:21 pm

April 2017: Another 5,000km (ish) another service.

Penrite HPR10 10W-50 has been the choice for the last couple services and it's been great.

Oil drained and filter off, goodbye Ryco!

Hello Subaru genuine goodness.

Ben was nice enough to supply a new sump washer gasket with the filter.

I also finally after like 4 months correctly put on the passenger eyelid, the shape was so far off but with some help from a heat-gun, everything was sorted.

Finally matching with the other side, pity the bonnet is so bent...

I've also orderd some Tein Flex Z Coilovers would should be here tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby robsH6 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:37 pm

That front end really looks tough, really like those eyelids. Need to find some for a facelift model, dont like the ultrex carbon ones, prefer that shape! Curious whats that hole in the bumper from? Looking mad though, jdm front bar looks mint!
robsH6

Car: Liberty 3.0R Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34083

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods