Member Profile - James' H6 Wagon - SKD55S

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - James' H6 Wagon - SKD55S

Postby applegeek897 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:06 pm

robsH6 wrote:That front end really looks tough, really like those eyelids. Need to find some for a facelift model, dont like the ultrex carbon ones, prefer that shape! Curious whats that hole in the bumper from? Looking mad though, jdm front bar looks mint!

Thanks man I'm so happy with it. Hole is where the previous owner for what ever reason decided to put a single parking sensor in, who knows why. I'll likely put in a full set in the front at some point.

April 2017: They're here!

I'm ready for the pleasure.

Man they are almost more art then part, oh and VERY green.

They were also nice enough to supply a bunch of nice stickers.

Also included was a nice damper adjuster and really nice set of c spanners.

Install should happen tomorrow, I'm just so keen!
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby MadmanSean » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:22 pm

Oh my god! That is the sickest thing ever!
Put them in right now! :mrgreen:
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby applegeek897 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:07 pm

April 2017: Install time, started with just doing a basic setup, get a rough height, although I'm flying completely blind and just did what I thought would be good.

Car in the air ready for the install.

I thought the front would be more involved so I started there first to get it over and done with, wheels off.

Time to pull the struts off.

Holy shit balls those bolts were on tight, but with lots of arm juice it came off eventually.

Strut bolts and brace next to come off.

And out it comes, goodbye old bastard.

Coils in, rinse and repeat for the other side.

The guessed high seemed to work pretty well for a first go, I might go a slight touch lower but that can be done when it goes in for an alignment at Heasmans.

For the rears just about everything had to come out to get to the rear strut tops, and even then they aren't great.

Onto the rear now.

Wheels off and struts out, these took not even a quarter of the time to remove.

Coils in, it was fairly hard with one person, trying to get everything to sit right but it went in eventually.

The rear settled a bit more after a drive. I set the dampers 8 stops down from the hardest setting, which was the recommendation from Tein. It actually seems more comfortable then the old suspension, although I take that more to the fact that this has 347,000km less then the old stuff. Everything will get another spanner check in the morning as well as a wash and a small photo shoot.

I'm so happy I finally did it, well overdue. I didn't go for the usual MCA or Shockworks, but after the recommendation from Garage 88, so happy I went this direction.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:14 pm

May 2017: Didn't get the angles perfect and the light was very different the next day but heres a rough idea of the difference.

Fronts, before and after.

Rears, before and after.

And full side, before and after.

Certainly some more fine turning to do, but man I'm happy with the result.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby zack » Wed May 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Sweet ride. Very interested in feedback on ride quality after a few weeks.

I was recommended Tein Flex Z for my GenV and they seem to be competitively priced as well.
zack

Car: 2014 Liberty GT wagon

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed May 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Looks fantastic, and thanks for the write up! :)

(Your front rotors are on opposite sides :P )
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby MadmanSean » Wed May 03, 2017 2:10 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Looks fantastic, and thanks for the write up! :)

Alexei slot direction doesn't matter...
Pic from DBA website: http://www.dba.com.au/upgrading-a-wrx-s ... pc-rotors/
Attachments
Upgrading a WRX STI with DBA 5000 Series T3 2pc rotors - 4.jpg
DBAT3
Upgrading a WRX STI with DBA 5000 Series T3 2pc rotors - 4.jpg (97.17 KiB) Viewed 7523 times
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed May 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Sean,

1. You're referring to different brake rotors (and brand). James has RDAs slotted and dimpled.
2. This is off RDA's wesbite: http://www.rdabrakes.com.au/page/Product-Rotors.aspx

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.85 KiB) Viewed 7519 times

Simply, the optimal orientation for the RDAs is one where the pad causes the dust/gas build up to wipe outward from the centre. The inner section of the slot is not 'open' in the same way as the external side of the groove/slot (if you have a look at the picture you'll see where the inner section stops).

If the rotor was to spin the other way (how James has it set up) - it would restrict the gas from flowing out freely, causing it to try and escape past the pad surface, as it has nowhere else to go.

This is in contrast to the DBA T3s, where the grooves are cut pretty much symmetrically. :air_kiss:
alexeiwoody

Postby MadmanSean » Wed May 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Alexei, Fair point did not know that the Slot on the RDA's was closed at the inner of the disc.
Second to that my point mainly was that DBA's have slots in opposite directions that also do not vent the air outwards.
MadmanSean

Postby applegeek897 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:20 pm

Interesting, I didn't know this. In my defence, they were done by the previous owner. They are basically bent at right angle by this point and need to be changed. In the next couple of days I am going to try my wheels on a friends car with Brembo's and that will decide my next course of action. I don't mind spending the money on brakes but I don't want to invest into the current brakes if I want to upgrade in future.
applegeek897

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu May 04, 2017 3:40 pm

MadmanSean wrote:Alexei, Fair point did not know that the Slot on the RDA's was closed at the inner of the disc.
Second to that my point mainly was that DBA's have slots in opposite directions that also do not vent the air outwards.

Sure, and that's why I said they're cut symmetrically and that's why orientation on DBAs doesn't matter. Using them to justify how to position RDAs is a moot point, because - different designs.

If your point is "if DBA are doing it, surely it's fine?". It is fine, the rotor will still work, it's just not optimal. Secondly the DBA T3 design has 50% of the grooves running the other way, so at least it's 50% as bad as running RDAs backwards. Additionally RDA may have another reason, like the internal vent orientation, for specifying the direction of rotation. DBA 4000 are symmetrical internally, but a lot of other brands aren't.

disc_rotation.jpg
disc_rotation.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 7510 times

Dixcel, who produce a higher performing rotor than the DBA 4000, actually set up differing directions for the grooves on the front and rear rotors (Fr rotor slots run the same as RDA, rears run the other way). Maybe they have another reason for running the rears the "wrong" way, or maybe it doesn't matter since they're the rears...

applegeek897 wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know this. In my defence, they were done by the previous owner. They are basically bent at right angle by this point and need to be changed. In the next couple of days I am going to try my wheels on a friends car with Brembo's and that will decide my next course of action. I don't mind spending the money on brakes but I don't want to invest into the current brakes if I want to upgrade in future.

Haha no need for defence, I did the same thing once upon a time.

My 8" RS05s clear the Blingbos by a mile, so I'm guessing yours will clear too? Will look great, if they do. 8) If you're on a tight budget, you only really need the fronts. The rears do help balance the car, and possibly pull up quicker, but it's not a huge difference in pedal feel like swapping the fronts is.
alexeiwoody

Postby MadmanSean » Tue May 09, 2017 3:12 pm

I see I see, there's more to it under the covers than meets the eye Haha 8)

Right you are good Sir **Sneaks back to the sidelines**
MadmanSean

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 pm

MadmanSean wrote:I see I see, there's more to it under the covers than meets the eye Haha 8)

Right you are good Sir **Sneaks back to the sidelines**

:lol: :lol:
alexeiwoody

Postby applegeek897 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:11 pm

May 2017: So the suspension has had a good chance to settle and damn, the front was scrapping bad, totally my fault on the setup, the is my first time after all. The drivers side even got to the point where it was damaging the actual got, something needed to be done asap.

This wasn’t going to stop the car being ever practical though…

I raised the front to at least help things to start with. Unfortunately both Sydney Guard Rolling and Heasman were booked out for either a few days or more then a week. I was able to get SGR to mine on Monday evening which help sort the front out quick smart. I opted to only do the front as there was HEAPS of room in the rear, wasn’t worth the extra 75 bucks a corner to do it. Big props though he did an epic job on the car, true professional.

With the majority of the scrapping being sort it would still do so under hard compression. So the car was put away until it could go to Heasman and be properly setup and aligned.

Man they worked absolute wonders, the front was raised just enough where you almost couldn’t tell yet it won’t at all scrape. Of course the alignment was completely out, these are the before and afters.

Front Rear

Before After Before After

Caster (L) 6°49’ 6°46’ - - -
Caster (R) 6°28’ 6°29’ - - -

Camber (L) -0°20’ -1°08’ Camber (L) -2°31’ -2°31’
Camber (R) -0°23’ -1°11’ Camber (R) -1°33’ -1°33’

Toe (L) 12.1 0.1 Toe (L) 6.7 3.0
Toe (R) -1.0 0.1 Toe (R) 4.8 0.5
Toe (T) 11.1 0.2 Toe (T) 11.5 3.5

Man what a difference it is too drive. I haven’t had a proper chance to give the car a proper fang due to the weather, but still. Sooooooo happy.

The guy who did the work did mention a few concerns with the car, mainly the timing case leaking oil, which I am aware of and from what I understand is a very common issue. Despite being very slow and no reason of concern, it has been dripping onto the lower coolant hose, which has now started to swell. I will keep a good eye on this but it’s something I’ll look at replacing very soon, I’d love to do a performance rad while I’m there but it’s a bit of an effort having to modify it, oh well, time will tell. He also just said diff bushes and laughed, they also need doing.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:29 pm

June 2017: Since the suspension tweeks the car has been driving incredible, certainly the best it ever has.

The car also got a long overdue wash today.

I've ordered a lower rad hose to replace the bulging one before it blows. I'd rather avoid the head gasket going on this if I can. Also have some new rear diff bushes on the way. The current ones are completely non existent. I decided to go with OEM replacement ones and then get some whiteline inserts to add some stiffness. I've heard they are pretty shit to remove, I suppose I'll see.

Next up on the list of things to do on the car will centre diff refurb with a transmission and diff oil change, it's really long overdue. After that, thanks to my tax return I'll be doing a Brembo front conversion (if they fit). Going to get a set of brand new calipers from Rising Sun Subaru, or BCW if he can supply them. Dixel Type-M pads, Hel lines front and rear, and then either DBA T2's or Dixel SD's. I'm unsure which ones for now. I'll also be getting the black removed in favour of a nice red to match the current look.

Once all that is done I'll be doing a complete revamp on the audio system in the car with a very healthy dose of sound deadening, which it really needs badly. This will be in preparation for my trip to Phillip Island for MotoGP in October.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applegeek897

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods