Member Profile - James' H6 Wagon - SKD55S

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - James' H6 Wagon - SKD55S

Postby applegeek897 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:26 pm

2005 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon

Basic specifications

Engine: EZ30D (3.0L Boxer-6 N/A)
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Year and Trim: MY05, 3.0R-B BP
Colour: 33A Atlantic Blue Pearl (Blue)
Horsepower / Kilowatts: 199.3 HP / 148.6 KW @ 6,834 rpm ATW
Torque: 348.2 Ib-ft / 472.1 NM @ 5,126 rpm ATW
Drive-type: AWD
Price (When new): $53,990
Price (Paid): $6,000

Modifications

Performance

- XForce 2.25 inch mild-steel cat-back
- Custom 2.25 inch stainless-steel header-back
- Magnaflow 59905M high-flow catalytic converters (2x)
- Raptor headers
- DeatschWerks DW65c fuel pump
- EXEDY heavy-duty clutch
- CorgiWerx short shifter
- KiDo E85 tune

Wheels / Tyres

- Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003 225/40R18
- Enkei RS05 18x7.5+50 Gold
- Work RS-R Blue lug nuts

Suspension / Brakes

- Tein Flex-Z Coilovers
- Cusco Strut Brace w/BCS
- Cusco pitch-stop mount
- Cusco rear differential brace
- Whiteline W0506 front control arm bushings
- Whiteline KCA334 anti-lift kit
- Whiteline KCA313 bump-steer correction kit
- Whiteline BSR39Z 20mm rear swaybar
- Whiteline KLC144 adjustable rear sway bar end-links
- AVO HD rear swaybar mount
- Guards rolled by Sydney Guard Rolling
- Alignment done by Heasman Steering & Suspension

- Dixcel M-Type Brake Pads (Front and Rear)
- DBA T2 Street Series Slotted Rotors (Front and Rear)
- Hell Braided Brake Lines in black (Front and Rear)
- Castrol Response Dot 4 Brake Fluid

Exterior

- Subaru Legacy Spec-B front bumper
- Subaru Outback bonnet
- Subaru Sports Mesh grill
- Subaru JDM option waist spoiler
- Subaru LED reverse / foglight
- Ultrex fiberglass eyelids
- HKS180 Black-out headlights with angel eyes
- L.E.D. parker, brake, reverse and indicators
- Show Me Your Tints 15% tint with windshield strip

Interior

- Subaru Impreza WRX STI MY15 shift knob
- Subaru Liberty tbSTI MY07 front seats
- Redline Goods handbrake boot in black nappa leather with red stitching
- Redline Goods shifter boot in black nappa leather with red stitching
- Redline Goods armrest cover in black nappa leather with red stitching
- DAMD D-Shape flat bottom steering wheel in black leather with red stitching
- Steering wheel post facelift conversion

Entertainment / Speakers

- Sony XAV-AX100 head-unit
- Hands-free with Bluetooth
- Reverse camera
- Morel Hybrid 6.5" Two-Way Component front speakers
- Morel Tempo Ultra Integra 602 6.5” Two-way rear speakers
- JL Audio HD900/5 HD 5-Channel Amplifier
- DS18 sound deadener
- Optima D35 Yellow Top battery

Items Awaiting Install

- Replacement MY07 6MT Transmission
- Subaru R180 LSD Differential
- Mantic Stage-1 ms1-2133-box clutch
- Hel Braided clutch-line
- AVO Rear Underbody Brace kit
- Hardrace rear camber arms 8891 (Hardened Rubber)
- Hardrace rear front lateral rams 6834 (Hardened Rubber)
- Hardrace rear rear lateral arms 6834-H (Pillow Ball)
- Whiteline lockout kit KCA307
- Whiteline Crossmember Pad Bushing KDT901
- Whiteline Rack and Pinion Bush KSR207
- Cusco Rack Brace
- Cusco Rear Pillow Ball endlinks
- STI Group N Transmission Mount
- Cobb Double Adjustable Short Shifter
- Cobb Transmission Shifter Bushing
- Cobb Transmission Selector Bushing
- Output Motorsports reverse-lockout
- NGK Laser Iridium ILFR6B spark plugs
Last edited by applegeek897 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Re: Member Profile - James' H6 Wagon

Postby James1000 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:04 pm

Nice buy mate wish I had a suby when I was on my p's!
James1000

Car: Spec B wagon

Re: Member Profile - James' H6 Wagon - SKD55S

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:17 pm

December 2015: I have decided it is time to start changing the look of the car. I like the look so far but I have been seeing so many soccer mum Outbacks that I thought time to distinguish myself.

This started with changes the colour of the brake callipers. It started with a rather paranoid masking job.

While the car was in the air it was a good time for a service. Oil was replaced with Castrol Edge 5W-30 engine oil and a Ryco Z79A oil filter.

Something that was also high on my list was to paint and restore the factory 18 inch wheels.

The wheels were repaired with bog in the areas where there was gutter rash then primed using Color Spec Primer Surfacer, painted using Color Spec base coat in Sparkling Graphite Metallic A22 and cleared with Color Spec Deep Crystal Clear.

After watching a recent episode of MCMTV2, I thought it would be a good time to check the cabin filter. Luckily I did, because it was in dire need of replacement. A replacement Ryco 322171 cabin filter was installed.

What felt like an eternity, the Raptor headers had finally arrived. I ordered the header in August of 2015, about two weeks after purchasing the car. At the end of December 2015 they finally here. These were the first step the completing my exhaust system and for the car to have its re-tune on E85.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:20 pm

January 2016: The car got its first proper wash and detail in awhile, something I needed to do way more often. My brothers SS-V Ute was also done.

I got a little bored one night and thought I would have a go painting the badge since I had some left over paint from my wheels. Its in pretty bad shape anyway so I was not worried if I was not super happy with it. I found my rear garnish was cracked for some reason so its a good excuse to replace it with a JDM one which will come with another badge anyway.

Considering the effort put in, I do not mind the end result.

Came out ok I suppose for the time put in.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:22 pm

January 2016: Chris from Best Mufflers in Carlton did an incredible job on my exhaust system. Great price and absolutely incredible service. He gave great advice on what needed to be done and fixed up a few of the little things while the car was there.

The car was loaded up ready for its work. Chris picture shows just how bad the condition of the front is.

The original front half of the system. Tired, old and ready for replacement!

Off they come!

The new catalytic converters, Magnaflow 59905M x2 with the sensor fittings welded in.

The Raptor headers fitted with the rest of the system, 2 1/4 inch stainless.

The cat-back suffered from the old XForce hang, which from what I have seen it is pretty common.

The pipe work was painted matt black and the hanging pipes fixed.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:24 pm

February 2016: Finally got shots of the car with the painted wheels.

It was just after this my new DeatschWerks DW65c fuel pump. The car was booked in for the new pump, filter and sock to be installed at the mechanic. The car was tuned with the old stuff in the car so the E85 could flush the fuel system, due to this for the last few tanks I have had to drive under 3K, not an task.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:26 pm

February 2016: The last two days have been interesting to say the least. Finally got my fuel pump installed yesterday by a mechanic because I thought this is something I would rather not do myself even though I have done more complex things before as the last thing I would like is for the car to lean out while driving hard because I did not install it properly. My brother picked the car up last night and said that on the way home, under even light throttle the car was chugging and not accelerating, This got me very worried. Anyway I waited until I got home from work before starting to panic. My brother always bullshits me so I would see for myself. The car started fine and drove ok out the driveway but eventually, yep, it started chugging. Basically the car was loosing fuel pressure.

I drove the car back the next morning to the mechanic and he said he had no idea why it would have been doing it. Spoke to Matt (KiDo) and he said it definitely was not installed properly. So the car was booked in for sometime the week after to be looked at, I need the car every day and with the Cuore still not having rego that was not an option. So I thought I could not make it worse to hell lets have a go.

Back seat removed and cover off.

Separated the pump and filter from the main assembly. This is a shit job, not so much hard but very finicky, everything is small and plastic also god the smell of fuel is strong, E85 up close has a very much strong vodka smell.

Here is one of the culprits, basically no seal so no fuel pressure.

In the case of this pump for the Gen IV it needs the plastic spacer from original pump and two O rings as seen below. The mechanic only used a single O ring with no spacer, another reason there was no fuel pressure.

After that everything went back together and all is good now. I really should have done it myself in the beginning but the car needed to go in anyway for a new tyre and pink slip. He was just going to take off the labour for the job so no complaints. In all fairness he does not do any sort of modifications so I am not angry just glad it is sorted now. It has been so hard driving the car under 3,000 rpm. Two full tanks of E85 needed to be ran through on the old setup to clean the lines out, for those two tanks the car can be driven hard. After that it must be kept under 3,000 rpm as the filter is likely clogged with the shit from the petrol once the lines are cleaned. Then when the new pump is installed you also chuck in a new filter and sock. Doing this before the E85 would mean that you would have to do it again anyway.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:31 pm

February 2016: Had some time to get a quick video of the car with my proper mic setup, it was hard as I couldn't adjust the gain because a mate was filming, decent for now though. Also it was hard to find a good place to give it a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMjPVt23lwI
Last edited by applegeek897 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:45 pm

April 2016: The car has been running amazing. Pulls hard everywhere and so happy with the sound overall. I do plan on swapping the tips over to either quad tips or if I can find them some STI GENOME mufflers as I heard they sound pretty though!

I attended the Mighty Car Mods Nationals and raced the car. I was running high 15's before E85 and managed to get a 15.1 which I was a bit disappointed about considering what other people have gotten with the same setup, my MPH was strong at 98MPH, but my launches need a little improvement to help bring that should bring my 60ft right down and see me hitting mid to low 14s.

We recently had a Shire Subaru meet which was fun, not from the Shire but anyway. There was probably around 50 cars but just got photos of my crowd.

I picked up a turbo bonnet that I got cheap just to see how I feel about it. I have got a mate that's going to fix it up and paint it and then I will see how I feel about it. I know lots of people hate the turbo bonnet on the H6 or any N/A car for that matter, and yeah I kinda get it. Either way if I sell it I'll make a good profit so if it does go it will be replaced with a outback bonnet. I just really love the scoop.

One thing that has been paining me for a while is the wing on the car was seriously sun damaged and crack a bit.

I have had chat to Ben from Ichiban and they have a Gen 4 half cut coming in, unfortunately not a Spec B otherwise I would sweep the bumper and side skirts quick smart, but at least I will be able to grab another wing, rear garnish and headlights, maybe a couple other things but we'll see what happens.

I already had some primer and clear coat sitting around at home from another job so grabbed some colour and so the painting began.

Sanded

Primed

Colour

Cleared, turned out ok needed a bit of a buff but after looked half decent.

It was a quick job on a Saturday, knowing it was going to be replaced anyway I was not too fused but I am happy with how it came out.

Also found a nice new spot local to me for shots

I managed to score a mint set of rear FL tail lights off a mate for a bargain. Im really happy with them and they really update the look of the car.

Out with the old, and in with the new

Current plans for the car is just to really clean it up. Im happy with the power for now. I really just to replace the front.

Im going to focus on getting the interior as immaculate as possible. I really taken a licking to the idea of OEM+. So that's going to kinda be what I'd like to do going forward.

Lastly today finished a bit crap after this happened. I have no idea how it managed to hold air.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:47 pm

May 2016: Had a bit of time today to sort a couple things out today,

First was to replace the numberplate lights with some nice white L.E.D. ones.

Before / 50/50 / After

Unfortunately after getting to the second one I noticed this handiwork of the previous owners reverse cam install.

Anyway, I am in need of a new rear garnish and wing anyway so looks like I will just replace the whole tailgate.

Also the actual plastic holding the cam was super brittle and disintegrated itself. I will have to work another way to mount it.

Also just copped a dead tail light so also time to swap the last bulbs out with some LED ones. Everything is now LED expect for the projectors.

All done a little brighter then before and instant light.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Picking these bad boys up on Friday.

I've needed to replace the headlights since the day I bought the car, as one was cracked when the car was hit by the previous owner and has been getting water in. Overall they are in pretty bad condition anyway. I wasn't really looking for them just waiting for a good deal to pop up and they did :)
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:50 pm

May 2016: I have needed to replace the headlights since the day I bought the car, as one was cracked when the car was hit by the previous owner and has been getting water in. Overall they are in pretty bad condition anyway. I wasnt really looking for them just waiting for a good deal to pop up and they did.

Due to the hit the car took before I bought it, it caused one of the mounts to break off and gave a place for water in enter, hence all the water that always got into the headlights.

It seems every time I work on the car I find more of the previous owners handy work. The headlights had been rigged so that when the high beams were activated the fog lights would also turn on rather then on the fog switch.

I have completely deleted this system and returned it back to factory. I have not connected the fog lights back up yet as I dont really need them now and will be getting new ones when my new bumper comes.

Feels like half this car is held on with Zip-ties.

Again due to the hit, the headlight bracket was completely screwed. It actually sheared the metal. I managed to bend it back as much as I could but it was too far gone.

I got a replacement one courtesy of Nigel.

Sad Subaru.

New drivers side in place. Gotta love that perfect fit.

Lit up.

The HIDs that were in the car, have been removed and Ive got back to normal bulbs for now until I find something better. One was blown from the other light getting water in anyway which screwed the ballest. Once I do this Im going to look at doing high and low beams and fogs all at once.

Before and after.

And done. The bumper fits so much better now.

Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:51 pm

May 2016: Overnight parts from America.

Before and After

The old one was pretty badly worn and was long overdue for replacement, its so nice using the new one. Ive always had the plan to go for a red / black theme for the inside so happy with the knob. Its from a MY15 STI. It will go nicely with Redline Goods stuff that is also one its way.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:26 pm

June 2016: Dropped past Peter CorgiWerx to grab come gearbox goodies.

- Shifter Bushes
- Lever Bushes
- Short Shift adapter

Redline Goods should also be arriving also. HardwareBoB and I did a group buy and said that his handbrake boot is for LHD which is annoying and hoping mine is RHD, if it is wrong its an error on their side so at at least it’ll get sorted.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Postby applegeek897 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:58 pm

June 2016: So the Redline Goods arrived and it was not all good news. Everything looked great but the handbrake boot was LHD.

While I wait to see how that gets sorted out I was excited to get the other two items on. I decided to go with Black Nappa leather with Red JDM stitching.

The old stuff has certainly seen better days.

Much to my surprise, is the difference in size is huge!

After a bit of a struggle, glue and A LOT of cloth pegs it can together.

The armrest was a quick affair, no removing of the old material, just a cover that slips over. I will be replacing the actual armrest at some point as its actually dented in a bit but it will do for now.

Armrest before / after

Shifter before / after

[Image

I like the idea of how it looks but the sizing is all wrong. The Velcro part that secures to the top of the shifter is not even close to tight enough. That coupled with the leather being to long it means that when I change gears it will slowly creep up and then get in the way of the reverse selector. Both Matt and I have contacted Redline goods regarding the issue and awaiting a reply. I have never heard a bad thing about them so hopefully it all gets sorted out.
Last edited by applegeek897 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
applegeek897

Next

Return to Post your mods