Ashcroft's MY06 E85 3.0R-B/Raptor sedan

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Ashcroft's 2005 3RB sedan

Postby Manaz » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:33 am

dan_ashcroft wrote:Btw, while reading up on the various braided lines available, there were posts about the legality of different lines, ie whether they are marked as compliant.

The HEL lines do come with a clear section of outer that is laser printed with the magic code (FMV1066? - can't remember exactly) that apparently denotes compliance with ADR requirements for braided brake lines.

Specific ADR compliance is no longer an issue - compliance with DOT, TUV, etc, all count now. The rules on this changed a few years ago.

That said, HEL do great lines, you'll be fine with those!
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby dan_ashcroft » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks for the info guys. :)

Did the diff oil this weekend, must have been lucky as while I did need the breaker bar, I didn't need to use a jack or drop the car on the breaker bar to break the plugs free.

While I was under there I noticed I have an exhaust leak. Was hoping it was just the gasket, but it looks like a hairline crack in the weld between the piping and the flange on the passenger side muffler. Sigh :roll:

Have posted a Q in the exhaust section, feel free to give some advice :)
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=31010
dan_ashcroft

Car: MY06 3.0R-B on E85

Postby dan_ashcroft » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:33 pm

It's been a while since I have posted in this thread.

Recently emptied the oil catch can for the first time, was a little bit in there, but not a great deal considering it's been over a year and a half. Better in the can than in the intake though.
occ_oil.jpg
occ_oil.jpg (74.97 KiB) Viewed 5907 times

Clutch has started slipping under heavier load. It did slip once about a year ago and I had Jim Berry make up a replacement clutch/flywheel, which has been sitting and waiting. Will finally get to install it.

clutch.jpg
clutch.jpg (96.84 KiB) Viewed 5907 times

Looking in the FSM I need a Torx Plus bit to remove the flywheel. Wish the FSM mentioned what the actual size bit is. Have seen references on US forums that they are using TP50, but this should be called 50IP if it is Torx Plus, is this correct? Anyone done this and can confirm for sure?
dan_ashcroft

Postby dan_ashcroft » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:09 pm

Got the new clutch installed last weekend.

Apart from once when I was trying to make an opportunity in traffic a month ago, the worn out clutch has never slipped so much that engine spun away, so I was surprised at just how much better it accelerated once it was done. Happy.

The flywheel bolts were standard 14mm bolts, so didn't need the 50IP torx plus bit that I bought after all. It did have an aftermarket clutch in it, maybe they were swapped back then.
flywheels.jpg
flywheels.jpg (68.35 KiB) Viewed 5773 times

I bought a second hand std flywheel and had Jim Berry machine it up so that I could swap it over in one weekend. The flywheel already in there was a lightened version from a "race" clutch kit the PO had installed. Weighed them both, std is 8.5 kgs, lightened is 6.9 kgs. Have noticed that it takes a little bit more to blip the engine when heel/toeing. It's a little bit smoother in traffic as well, although that could also be the new AFR sensors that I have swapped in.

It takes slightly longer (tenths of a second) for the engine to slow down in the upper rev range when shifting up a gear, ie from just before 7 back down to around 5k, and on a couple of occasions I have not been able to grab the next gear. Frustrating, but it's just timing. Having to be a bit more deliberate in my shift probably is better for the box in any case.
dan_ashcroft

Postby dan_ashcroft » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:14 pm

I followed the FSM in
a) removing intake, pitch stopper, starter, clutch cylinder, fork release shaft etc from inside engine bay
b) remove exhaust and prop shaft, disconnect linkages above and below transmission tunnel (left shift lever in place)
c) disconnect sway bar end links, remove ball joint from hub, swing hub outwards to remove outboard end of driveshaft. Left the driveshafts located in front diff.
d) undid the transmission mounts from the body, lifted the rear of the transmission down onto some timber resting on one of the front wheels so that it could slide back easily, and floor jack under the front of the box
e) undid transmission from engine, tilted front of engine up with another jack to help with the angle to slide off transmission backwards until had enough room to work on the clutch/flywheel. Pic below.
halfway.jpg
halfway.jpg (123.41 KiB) Viewed 5773 times

The pic shows the pitch stopper still in place but I removed it shortly after I took this picture as it got in the way of the torque wrench. Eagle-eyed readers will also see that the pitch stopper is cracked...

Next time I will suspend the fork release lever with some wire as I forgot to check it's position a second time when fixing the transmission to the block and got it wedged (no damage). I also put the starter back into place before working out that I hadn't re-fitted the fork release lever dust cap back in place. Frustrating, about an hour and a half wasted across these two things.

I noticed that the FSM doesn't show all of the locations that the tranny is fixed to the block: there is one short bolt at the very top of the block, and there are 2 nuts (not bolts) at the bottom on each side of engine. Just in case you are wondering why the box won't slide off (the top bolt got me).
dan_ashcroft

Postby dan_ashcroft » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:41 pm

While the exhaust was out I cleaned up a couple of small internal dags where the flanges meet up with the stainless piping. But in the post-cat 2to1 collector I smoothed out a transition between the tube and collector that was pretty sharp and for my efforts have seen a nice change in the exhaust note. Was a little bit droney previously, now mostly gone and has a bit warmer note to it.
dan_ashcroft

Postby dan_ashcroft » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:44 pm

So have had my new A/F sensors in for almost a week now. Have noticed:
* Has gotten rid of the momentary drop in revs when putting the clutch in at a stop.
* Has smoothed out the transition through the rev range of 3-4k. This was jerky before, I expect that the ECU was having trouble going from closed to open loop with the faulty A/F sensors...?
* Fuel consumption has gone up from 19-20 litres to 23 litres in traffic - then engine is so nice now, maybe I have been enjoying it a bit too much. :) Yet to get out of traffic to see what it is like on the highway.
dan_ashcroft

Postby dan_ashcroft » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:23 pm

Finally got my Raptor CAI installed. Matt didn't have any flex fuel sensors left so it is currently set up as E85 only.

I've actually had it stored away for over a year, but had to wait for Matt to get the CAI+E85 tune sorted, as well as myself clearing up some other drive-ability issues first (vacuum leaks, AFR sensors, injector clean etc). I was stunned that in the right conditions my body movement in the seat (being pinned back and coming forward while shifting) is not unlike a turbo. Haven't felt that since I last had a turbo, and definitely never in this car. No, I am not saying this is a drag car, or that it will take your turbo, so don't start a war please ;) But it is making more power, to the point that I actually need to think about suspension now.

Have to change my acceleration points on some well rehearsed corners and roundabouts because going full throttle at the previous point would be dangerous. Along with the AFR sensors that I recently changed, plus the re-tune at CAI install time, every day driving is much easier. I can cruise at 60 in 5th at just around 2k, and it is effortless, just quietly purs along, a real GT now (as in referencing a Grand Tourer, not our turbo Liberty siblings). Rolling through 3500 to 4500 rpm in low throttle is smooth, around 50-60% throttle (off my internal foot-o-meter) there is a quite noticeable pick up when going through AVCS and AVLS (should I reference Honda fans here?), and in full throttle funnily enough it is not as noticeable as it is already pulling with the extra torque.

E85 fuel usage before new AFR sensors, retune + intake was 23 litres. Post those 3, it is now 16.6 litres.
Attachments
cai4.jpg
cai4.jpg (104.16 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
cai3.jpg
cai3.jpg (130.05 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
cai2.jpg
cai2.jpg (115.76 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
cai1.jpg
cai1.jpg (119.49 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
dan_ashcroft

Postby dan_ashcroft » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Spent some time over the weekend fixing up some gaps in the CAI. Had noticed that after a while in the car that it felt soft when trying to accelerate strongly. Added almost 2 metres of bubble type pinchweld and some strips of 3mm self-adhesive foam to seal it up.

While it was off also noticed that the MAF sensor o-ring doesn't seal quite correctly, the hole in the intake is slightly too large. If you are reading this Matt, it confirms your suspicion that there was a leak somewhere. Unfortunately I didn't notice it in the rush of swapping an intake system in the beautiful dusk-lighting of the Krispy Kreme carpark. Have added another o-ring between the body of the MAF and the flat of the intake as a stop-gap, need to go get a new o-ring to do it properly.
Attachments
gap4.jpg
gap4.jpg (134.59 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
gap3.jpg
gap3.jpg (115.95 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
gap2.jpg
gap2.jpg (151.9 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
gap1.jpg
gap1.jpg (126.17 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
dan_ashcroft

Postby dan_ashcroft » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:32 pm

No more hot air:
Attachments
seal2.jpg
seal2.jpg (136.78 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
seal1.jpg
seal1.jpg (140.79 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
dan_ashcroft

Postby dan_ashcroft » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:35 pm

With the extra power the cracked rubber in the pitching stopper has really become unbearable. Swapped it with one from SuperPro. I was worried that since it was made by banana-benders it might be a bit crooked, but we are lucky that they have CNC machines I guess. You can tell it is a quality part. Went this way rather than Cusco as this has a rubber on both ends, whereas Cusco is a solid mount on the transmission side and I was worried about too much NVH on a street car. Not that you can really see it with the airbox on, but I painted it a nice shade of matt black.

The new pitch stop has definitely helped, grabbing the next gear in a quick-shift is easier, and no jerkiness on throttle lift-off. Regarding any increases noise: a light amount of high pitched whine from the gearbox, only just noticeable, is linked to the engine speed so comes in handy.
Attachments
pitchingstopper.jpg
pitchingstopper.jpg (95.63 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
pitstop.jpg
pitstop.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
dan_ashcroft

Postby dan_ashcroft » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Over the weekend I also removed the driver-side fog light, now permitting cool air straight in the guard cavity. Made up a splash shield to prevent rain from flicking up, and drilled a few extra drain holes to let any water/debris out. This might have to be a temporary change though as I don't know whether this is permitted or not? I have had cars that didn't have any fog lights at all, but is it mandatory to keep fog lights if they are already fitted?
Attachments
shield3.jpg
shield3.jpg (70.64 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
shield2.jpg
shield2.jpg (91.4 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
shield1.jpg
shield1.jpg (93.41 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
dan_ashcroft

Re: Ashcroft's MY06 E85 3.0R-B/Raptor sedan

Postby dan_ashcroft » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:52 pm

I believe that in Japan somewhere, once a year over dinner, one of the old engineers will bring up the 3.0R-B and mention their shared regret that it never met it's full potential. They will all sagely nod their heads and toast to what it could have been.

I am sure that this car reflects what they would have wanted if they didn't have to battle bean-counting robots, and now truly honours their efforts. ( I am taking liberties by making a few assumptions I know ;) )

With the Raptor intake and header combo, is it OK to now give it a new designation of 3.0R-B/Raptor? :)
dan_ashcroft

Previous

Return to Post your mods