DIY Replace solar load sensor - Gen IV post facelift

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

DIY Replace solar load sensor - Gen IV post facelift

Postby wayner » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:13 pm

I had to replace the solar load sensor on my Gen IV wagon after my son went to investigate what was under the black cap on the dash and ended up dropping it down between the screen and dashboard. I've stolen and modified a couple of overl0ad's photos because I forgot to take my own until after I'd finished.

Mucking around on the electrics under the dash means it's probably a good idea to pull out the air bag fuse. It's behind the panel near the driver's right knee. Don't forget to replace it when you're finished.

Follow the steps in the DIY: Replace Cabin Filter post to get the side off the dashboard and the glovebox out. Remove the filter so the little clips aren't digging into your arm later. You may as well clean/replace the filter while you're at it.

Remove the two screws on the side of the dash shown with arrows and the stupid little plastic clip rivet just out of frame below to give the dashboard enough play to get your arm in.

dash_side.jpg
Side of dashboard
dash_side.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

Now with your left hand, pull the side of the dash towards you and put your right hand in above the left side of the cabin filter and reach up and to the left until you can feel the solar load sensor from underneath. The trick is to ignore the pain and not to let the blood drip on the carpet.

glovebox.jpg
glovebox
glovebox.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

Squeeze the clips on either side of the solar load sensor and push up towards the windscreen. It should pop loose fairly easily. Remove your arm from behind the dash while you still can feel your fingers. Unplug the old sensor and connect the new one, then push it down into the hole from above until it clicks into place.

Reassemble the cabin filter, glove box and dash.
wayner

Car: 2014 2.5i Premium (Sat Nav) Sedan

Re: DIY Replace solar load sensor - Gen IV post facelift

Postby norbs » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Nice one thanks.
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Return to Post your mods