Kesh's 3.0R

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Kesh's 3.0R

Postby Kesh » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:34 pm

Jackson1 wrote:Awesome advice! Thanks :)
I've got a nexus 7 I was planning on using but I'll have a look into the galaxy tabs and see whether that's going to be a better option.

Yeah I was a little worried about the heat thing too but as you said, insulation should take care of that pretty well!

Nexus 7's are the staple for tablet conversions! The only issue with them is the thick bezels on the side, if it weren't for the bezel, I would've bought a nexus 7 in a heart beat :)

The gap between the air vent tubes that run through the dash is 190mm, so if you want to do minimal modifying, make sure your tablet is less than 190mm! The galaxy tab 4 7" is 187mm ;)

The best thing to do is take the fascia out, take it to officeworks or wherever they have heaps of tablets on display and see if it'll fit! That's what I did, and I ended up going with the 8" tab 4!!
Kesh

Postby Jackson1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:46 pm

Yeah that would have been smart! I just went ahead and got a nexus 7 :'( i can always resell anyway i guess.

Have you seen the fascias you can buy from japan that are a bit bigger?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30201&p=408333#p408333
Jackson1

Car: Subaru Liberty STI MY08 Wagon Black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30201&p=408333#p408333

Postby Kesh » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:19 am

Jackson1 wrote:Yeah that would have been smart! I just went ahead and got a nexus 7 :'( i can always resell anyway i guess.

Have you seen the fascias you can buy from japan that are a bit bigger?

Yep, it's really up to you. Knowing myself, I thought ahead because I knew I'd do something dumb, so I bought a spare fascia for 80 bucks! So it might be worth modifying instead of reselling the tablet, the nexus 7 is a godsend, such a great tablet!

I was told to use that initially actually, but it was just too expensive for me to justify. And having done 80%, and seeing the 8" display fit exactly on that gap, I wouldn't buy it even now!
Kesh

Postby Kesh » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:37 am

I blackhoused my headlights a couple of days ago. Now that I've done it, I can admit that I really did not like the look of the front of the 3.0R with the chrome lights. Looked awful in my opinion.

Pulling the housing apart takes a lot of patience, I did it with a heat gun. However I got impatient and turned the heat up and held it at one spot for too long. When I pry'ed the housing, the plastic deformed from the heat. Wasn't too big a deal, just not ideal.

Used some plastic filler primer to begin with. first coat light, second coat a bit thicker. Hardest part is getting a good thickness of primer on the edges and hard to reach places, as you can get runs in the surrounding area. A technique my mate showed me was to spray and move the part into the mist of paint rapidly. Worked quite well.

Same process with painting really. 2 coats again.

Final product, looks amazing!!

Drove to my mates house to show him, ended up leaving at night time. On the way home I smelt some weird smell. I assumed it was the car in front so i was on my way home. As I parked onto the drive way I realised one of the lights were completely misaligned. Unscrewed the cap on the headlight and..

The clip seemed to have failed from some sort of bump and the picture speaks for itself. I grinded the surface flat again, luckily most of the mounting surface was alright. The bulb is superglued on now though, but still feel paranoid about it doing any damage.
Kesh

Postby shav » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:40 am

Oh wow, kind of bitter sweet. Luckily the car didnt catch fire or cause any electrical issues. On a brighter note though, the lights do look amazing.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby McDoof » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:06 pm

I'm kinda glad I have the factory blacked lights. I agree with you on the full chrome treatment. Not pretty
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby Kesh » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:01 am

Cheers guys!

Yeah I'm a little gutted :( Do you guys have any ideas? I'm gonna go to bunnings and get some shock proof super glue and soak that headlight haha. But will look at a new housing if it fails again!
Kesh

Postby Kesh » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:34 pm

It's been a while but I've done the most expensive modification yet. Got a set of new speakers, sub and amp. For those who want to know, I got Focal PS-165FX splits, Alpine Type S 12" sub and a pdx v9 amp. Sounds absolutely fantastic and it's not even receiving 80% of the power and is not run in yet! Being a sealed box, I was told that it would be a good idea to remove the factory sub and leave a hole in it's place. That way, the boot acts as a new sub box, and that hole acts as a port. That's what I did today.

Simply took all those panels off, and have to put it back together and it's done. Unfortunately, I have a battery that's on it's last legs, the open doors and boot drained the battery because of the lights. So I haven't had a chance to drop the bass!!
Kesh

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Hey Bro looks great. Top job with the lights. What you use to reseal the lenses?
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby Kesh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:06 pm

Brunsy3.0 wrote:Hey Bro looks great. Top job with the lights. What you use to reseal the lenses?

Thanks bro! I did what most people have been doing and that's reusing the existing glue! There's been plenty of rain and car washes that have been done since and there's been no condensation at all!
Kesh

Postby Kesh » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:21 pm

I've been away for a while! Uni has been busy so I haven't had time to update this log. However plenty of things have happened! Firstly, I got some nite shades on my rear lights, but not the usual black, I chose red instead. The results were fantastic!!

Here are some snaps from when I did it.

Kesh

Postby Kesh » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:50 pm

I also got some Spec B rims! Love them to bits!

Kesh

Postby Kesh » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:52 pm

I've also started designing my front diffuser/splitter. Starting by tracing the front bumper and taking measurements on some chip board.

Then chucking it on CAD to see what it looks like to make sure everything lines up.

That's only part of it, there's still some measurements to be taken for the middle section and mounting points!
Kesh

Postby Kesh » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:06 pm

I think I'll be able to extend the splitter back to the front crossmember, there are two holes on the crossmember that I could possibly use as a mounting point if I need to. If it isn't suitable, then I'll end it parallel with the end of the front bumper like the previous post.

Mounting points have been a challenge. I've a chassis rail either side of the engine that's approx 20cm above where the splitter will sit, and I'll probably make a long U bracket to use it as a mounting surface. Screen shots should give some sort of explanation.

Any thoughts or bits of advice?

I don't expect this to have profound effects in terms of downforce, because 100kph really isn't enough to generate any noticable difference I think (I hope I'm wrong though, haha), but I do believe that because I don't have the plastic underbody, I should decrease drag dramatically. I've also bought a temperature prob to measure temperature differences under the engine bay to see how much it increases or decreases! Exciting!!
Kesh

Postby ferret89 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm hardly an expert on thermal management etc. but I would recommend putting some vents in it to let some heat escape

Looks pretty good though
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods