Member Profile - Andy_Mac's JDM '06 GT-B

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Andy_Mac's JDM '06 GT-B

Postby andy_mac » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:43 pm

Bit of Interior bling turned up today, big thanks to Peadya100, looks even better than in photo's

2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby peadya100 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Looks good Andy!
Glad they turned up. I was worried that address wouldn't work :D
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby shav » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:11 pm

Looks exactly like mine Andy. Nice pics :mrgreen:
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby andy_mac » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:40 pm

Well she's alive and running!

First up is the Invidia Q300 catback,
Fitment isn't quite perfect though. Had to remove the heat shield around the driveshaft support bracket and even then the flex section is mere mm from that bracket so will probably rub when moving. May end up getting the flex section cut out and a straight piece put in its place, or might even just try an extended midpipe hanger to see if that can bring it down a touch without messing with the tip height.
Also purchased the Grimmspeed adaptor for 3inch midpipes to stock downpipes which allows the stock donut gasket to be reused. Quality is spot on as expected from Grimmspeed, but have now realised with that installed it spaces the catback out enough that the top half of the mufflers now make contact with the under body where the end of the stock muffler space ends. Have now removed that, wasn't any way for it to work cleanly, tried using a flat gasket but the difference in pipe size caused it to leak like a sieve even at idle. Have ended up just using the stock donut gasket squashed real tightly into the 3.0" catback pipe, obviously the contact area is extremely small so think it may end up leaking at some point down the track.

Other than that its just as awesome as I was expecting it to be. Also got the STI prings installed a few weeks back but i'll give it a few weeks of actual driving before taking any pics of them so they have a chance to settle into their final height.

Front mount is semi completed now too, it runs, but need to still make some proper pipe supports and paint the piping. Also want to get most, if not all the engine bay covers fitting again, even if some trimming is required.
And of course the Grimmspeed intake courtesy of Legacydan, intake temps seem to get quite high with it so think i'll make some sort of duct to feed it slightly better, but fit and finish are spot on.

With the huge decrease in restriction with both the intake and exhaust she's now making all kinds of dirty noises, some I like, some I don't. Getting a shit tonne of wastegate flutter noise from the 3-port which is bearable but there's also considerable 'wooshing' which i'm still not sure whether to be worried about or not. Sorta sounds like a leak but all the joins are tight and have pressurised it and not come up with any obvious leaks. May be just the pipework filling up, maybe even just from the 180 degree off the turbo.
Last edited by andy_mac on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy_mac

Postby andy_mac » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:02 pm

Managed to sort out the wastegate fluttering. Was as simple as using a vac hose for the wastegate half a metre longer loosely rolled up. Also found the brand new GFB BPV was leaking absolutly everywhere so pulled it all apart and thread taped all the threaded sections on it which did the trick.
Other than that she's feeling pretty nice, currently working theough the tune with Matt so hoping for atleast a small overall increase over the stock cooler.
andy_mac

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:40 pm

jee thats a tight fit for the exhaust! looks good though mate!
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Gyro Gearloose » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:47 am

You're a sparky?

Nice car btw
2004 Liberty GT Auto
2004 Forester
1987 Leone RX Turbo with EJ20G, 5sp AWD Dual Range and WRX brakes (Khanacross Toy)
Gyro Gearloose

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto, 87 Leone RX

Postby andy_mac » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:04 am

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:jee thats a tight fit for the exhaust! looks good though mate!

Yea it is ay. Just needs to be dropped 10mm or so from the midpipe hanger to the back and everything will be fine.

Gyro Gearloose wrote:You're a sparky?

Nice car btw

Na not a sparky, HVAC&R, so we do get a limited electrical certificate to go with it but not quite a full sparky.
What made you think that?
andy_mac

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:36 pm

also 'whooshing' sounds you are hearing are most probably intake noise and/ or turbo spool
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby andy_mac » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:52 pm

Yea fairly sure It is ok, just a bit paranoid when it comes to leaks. Guess as long as the fuel trims aren't to excessive with LV then things are pretty good and its just a normal noise.
andy_mac

Postby andy_mac » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Thought I was getting somewhere with the leak finding, turns out i'm not :( Don't think its causing the whooshing i'm hearing since thats more as its starting to make low boost.
Can't seem to shake this low load correction. Thinking post Turbo, since it must be losing air in order for it to be reducing fuel required. Not sure why its sealing back up when it starts seeing positive boost pressure though.

andy_mac

Postby McDoof » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:15 am

Smoke test?
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby andy_mac » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:01 am

Thought about it. Haven't got that far yet. Though, the one I had last time up at MCR didn't show anything even with 5-6% being shown in all but the last box. Think this one is probably big enough to show up, and being at such a low airflow range the couple of psi from the smoke tester may show it up a bit better than what i'm doing.

In saying that, my understanding is that it cannot be a intake leak at those airflow ranges as the whole intake would be in a mild vacuum so it would always suck air in, not out which leads me to think it may be as simple as the MAF scaling Matt used for the new intake isn't quite right.
andy_mac

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:22 am

Some quick tips to help you with your search for the issue.

+/-7 in the fuel trims is considered "normal operation". It can and will often be due to changing external conditions. It can also certainly be a scaling issue - the main point is - there will be no leak to find.

+/-14.7 is a difficult one because if there is an actual leak - it's tiny. So tiny, it's not even a proper leak - as it's not maxing out the corrections. With a 'proper' boost leak - you'll see the ECU will hit max fuel trim correction, trying to compensate something it has no effect over. Stock limits are +/-15 and your tuned corrections should be higher still, like +/-20 or 25.

On that note - any leak that you can physically hear - will max out the corrections and your engine won't run. Your whooshing sounds are the sounds of air in your smooth aftermarket pipework (intake/FMIC).

As for why it's "sealing up under positive pressure" - it's not necessarily. Your tune has zeroed out the top load region in your LV, in order to stop open loop corrections. It will never read anything but zero, even if you take your intercooler off and leave the pipes open.

Did you get the first tune revision done while you had the BOV leak? If your MAF scaling was done to suit that setup - that could explain why it's pulling fuel out now, and keeping close to zero in the 3rd region.

Try to clean and rescale your MAF first, so you at least know if it's a physical or tune related issue.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby andy_mac » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:23 am

Cheers for the info.

Not sure about the scaling. Yes, the first revision was done when the leaking BOV was present but from what Matt was saying it sounded more like he was using a generic setup he'd used before for that same intake so it could still be that it isn't quite right for my one. Still awaiting a reply from him.
Also won't rescaling the MAF at this point cover up a leak if there is infact one present, not rhat I really think there is one.
andy_mac

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods