Member Profile - Shaheenis

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Shaheenis

Postby shav » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:44 pm

The car has been running sweet ever since too! :mrgreen:
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:02 pm

I am guessing I can do this in LV will try shortly. Do I have to baby the car around then? It needs some boostin :twisted:
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby shav » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Shaheenis wrote:I am guessing I can do this in LV will try shortly. Do I have to baby the car around then? It needs some boostin :twisted:

Well I wouldn't be redlining it if thats what you mean. Probably get away with S mode just avoid S#.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:06 pm

LV reset performed, drove sedately home and log sent to Matt to check over. Feels better already. Only hit 9psi on the way home ;).
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:52 pm

Car is feeling back to normal which is awesome. Sent my fresh logs to Matt and he confirmed everything looks good and I can drive in S# (which I haven't yet). Car is quick but around town you can't use the power. If you get into it, you are doing 100 within 5s (or close enough :)).

I did also adjust my new front swaybar to softer setting and adjusted the lateral locks. Have not tested the handling yet.

Also update on the PS pump. After I replaced the old hard rubber o-ring the incidence of start-up squealing reduced but was still there. I spoke to Serge who recommended I also move the return hose pinch clamp down and install a screw type as the hose hardens and sucks air so if you are doing the o-ring do this at the same time, both are simple jobs and will save any air being sucked in. Since I did this on the weekend it hasn't squealed yet which is a good sign. I am contemplating replacing this hose when I do my 125K service and that way I know it will be good for another 100K. This is good insurance for your PS pump as if it sucks too much air the pump will fail (which happened to a mates on his MY08 STI Imprezza).
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby shav » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:05 am

Shaheenis wrote:Car is feeling back to normal which is awesome. Sent my fresh logs to Matt and he confirmed everything looks good and I can drive in S# (which I haven't yet). Car is quick but around town you can't use the power. If you get into it, you are doing 100 within 5s (or close enough :)).

I did also adjust my new front swaybar to softer setting and adjusted the lateral locks. Have not tested the handling yet.

Also update on the PS pump. After I replaced the old hard rubber o-ring the incidence of start-up squealing reduced but was still there. I spoke to Serge who recommended I also move the return hose pinch clamp down and install a screw type as the hose hardens and sucks air so if you are doing the o-ring do this at the same time, both are simple jobs and will save any air being sucked in. Since I did this on the weekend it hasn't squealed yet which is a good sign. I am contemplating replacing this hose when I do my 125K service and that way I know it will be good for another 100K. This is good insurance for your PS pump as if it sucks too much air the pump will fail (which happened to a mates on his MY08 STI Imprezza).

Thanks for the update. Good to hear Matt is on the ball with the tune.

Keen to know if switching to the softer setting on the sway helps at all and to what extent.

I'll get my PS pump checked next week once the CV boot gets replaces. Just to make sure all is in working order.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:26 pm

More logs sent to Matt just now. Did some 3rd gear runs last night on motorway on-ramps. Learning view shows zero knock in S or S#. This turbo definitely hauls compared to the VF46 (which I might say is an awesome stock turbo). I actually think the VF46 should have come out on the GTB and VF52 on the TBSTI. The VF52 just gives you more usable rev range but lets face it, you can rarely take advantage of this on the street. I don't drive the car that hard but the other night I smashed it through the gears with my foot planted and it goes really well. The lag is negligible in a 6MT on the VF52 but that is compared to the VF46 which has zero perceived lag IMO. The difference in the drivability of an auto would be more noticeable but not if you have Matt on the case I am sure.

I have done some handling tests with the front swaybar set to soft and I prefer it as I suspected. The car is not as stiff in the front now but still handles really well and feels more balanced in terms of how it pitches and rolls (really technical I know :P). I am thinking some STI Pinks would probably feel really good about now but don't think I could live with the clearance issues.

I am very happy with the car right now although I think the tune can be improved to take advantage of the new mods but this can wait until I see Matt. I must admit I have wondered what the car would sound like if I removed the resonator and left the factory muffs. Thoughts?

Some other random findings I forgot to mention:
We know the VF46 is smaller than the VF52 but I was surprised at how small the exhaust wheel is compared with the VF52. It makes sense as this is what limits it at higher revs. The VF52 has a P18 exhaust housing which is not the largest exhaust housing to be released on a stock turbo (VF23 & VF22 both ran P20). It makes me wonder though whether the housings changed because when I measured the ports on the VF52 vs the VF23 they were identical.

The Mishimoto TMIC does not have the fittings for the engine cover press-studs which actually doesn't prove to be an issue. The front two attach and the engine cover just sits there nicely. I did buy some aluminium strap which I was planning to fabricate some brackets to stick to the side of the intercooler so I can fit the top two press-studs but not sure if I could be bothered now.

Cheers,
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby shav » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Nice updates Tim.

Did you find that the softer setting for the sway was advantageous for less understeer? How is the body roll? Same or better?

Also with the VF46, Im not sure if the question has been raised before, but could the rear housing be modified or changed to help mid range torque? Seem as though the 52 differences were the housings mainly? Correct me if Im wrong.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Shav, no I think there are more substantial differences. The compressor housing looks quite different. The VF46 is the 5-arc design (http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.p ... 1179245648) and I don't believe this is the case for the VF52 but it would be nice to know if anyone can confirm. The exhaust wheel would have to be replaced with the larger exhaust housing so wouldn't be feasible for cost/effort. I think as the turbos stand you have good choice before you go after market. The VF46 just seems to be a lot more efficient at making power than the old stocker TDO4 varieties.

Regards the swaybar yes I believe it is a better setting for less understeer. The body roll is a lot less than stock swaybars but the rear made most of the difference. It is hard to explain but the front end felt stiffer on hard setting and rear felt more sloppy but now with softer setting, roll is minimal but handles better, more compliant.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Shav, no I think there are more substantial differences. The compressor housing looks quite different. The VF46 is the 5-arc design (http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.p ... 1179245648) and I don't believe this is the case for the VF52 but it would be nice to know if anyone can confirm. The exhaust wheel would have to be replaced with the larger exhaust housing so wouldn't be feasible for cost/effort. I think as the turbos stand you have good choice before you go after market. The VF46 just seems to be a lot more efficient at making power than the old stocker TDO4 varieties.

Regards the swaybar yes I believe it is a better setting for less understeer. The body roll is a lot less than stock swaybars but the rear made most of the difference. It is hard to explain but the front end felt stiffer on hard setting and rear felt more sloppy but now with softer setting, roll is minimal but handles better, more compliant.

P20 housing should bolt on the same as the VF34, by rights although I have not tested it the P25 Twinscroll housing should also fit

Personally, I want to see someone with a VF52 go down this path... http://6starspeed.com/rhbicowhupse.html
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby shav » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:34 am

Shaheenis wrote:Shav, no I think there are more substantial differences. The compressor housing looks quite different. The VF46 is the 5-arc design (http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.p ... 1179245648) and I don't believe this is the case for the VF52 but it would be nice to know if anyone can confirm. The exhaust wheel would have to be replaced with the larger exhaust housing so wouldn't be feasible for cost/effort. I think as the turbos stand you have good choice before you go after market. The VF46 just seems to be a lot more efficient at making power than the old stocker TDO4 varieties.

Lovely, thanks for the detailed explanation of the turbo's. Makes sense. My stock VF46 would need to die before I upgrade it. It's such an efficient turbo for the street.

As for the sways, that is good to hear and I kind of know what you mean by compliant. That is what I am missing at this point running adj sways (stiffest) and stock struts and springs. Getting Tein S-techs fitted on Thurs so I want the sways to be set on softest setting to help with 'compliance' as you say.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Manaz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:21 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:Personally, I want to see someone with a VF52 go down this path... http://6starspeed.com/rhbicowhupse.html

USD$899 just to upgrade to ball bearings? No thanks...
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:42 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:P20 housing should bolt on the same as the VF34, by rights although I have not tested it the P25 Twinscroll housing should also fit

Personally, I want to see someone with a VF52 go down this path... http://6starspeed.com/rhbicowhupse.html

Yeah Matt I was wondering why I have never heard of anyone putting a P20 on the VF52. To do it properly everything needs to be pulled apart and rebalanced is my understanding so if you are spending this much there are probably better options like the link you provided. The VF52 exhaust housing is definitely stamped with 18 suggesting there is more potential with P20. If I can rely on this stamp then this would make the VF52 basically a journal bearing version of the VF34.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:56 pm

VF52 can take a P20 housing, 6star have done it before. No machining required reportedly(they did only because they machined compressore to fit a bigger wheel)

Manaz wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:Personally, I want to see someone with a VF52 go down this path... http://6starspeed.com/rhbicowhupse.html

USD$899 just to upgrade to ball bearings? No thanks...

Bigger wheels, machined compressor cover to take the larger wheels etc
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:18 pm

Also a good option if you have damaged compressor blades as an example. You need to remove the whole core, replace parts and re-balance so this would be a better way to spend the same dollars. I am happy with the VF52 and will never replace this unless it breaks. More than enough power for street.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods