Member Profile - Ferret

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Ferret

Postby THE SpecB » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:49 pm

ferret89 wrote:New video done a week after install

I think it sounds better in person, the camera just doesn't seem to do it justice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z3WY3AH1vE&feature=youtu.be

Sounds good that raspiness is the Sti mufflers
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby Shaheenis » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:19 am

Yeah it sounds really good Dan. Was that sample taken on a phone? Sounds a bit deeper than mine and the boxer rumble is more noticeable at idle. Car is also looking shiny as ;).
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby ferret89 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:10 am

Shaheenis wrote:Yeah it sounds really good Dan. Was that sample taken on a phone? Sounds a bit deeper than mine and the boxer rumble is more noticeable at idle. Car is also looking shiny as ;).

Cheers Tim and SpecB.

It was shot on my compact camera which doesn't have the best audio recording ability :lol:
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Shaheenis » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:03 pm

Wouldn't mind coming for a spin with you Dan to help me decide whether to go the same route. I suspect the stainless equivalent wouldn't sound the same though. Mild steel lends itself more to a deeper note.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby ferret89 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Wouldn't mind coming for a spin with you Dan to help me decide whether to go the same route. I suspect the stainless equivalent wouldn't sound the same though. Mild steel lends itself more to a deeper note.

Sure Tim, let me know

Don't know about the stainless/mild sound differences but you might be right
ferret89

Postby chris12 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Yeah, I don't think you'll get that very defined, raspy sound with Mild.

Sounds really good ferret!
chris12

Car: VW Golf GTI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24279

Postby ferret89 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:37 pm

chris12 wrote:Yeah, I don't think you'll get that very defined, raspy sound with Mild.

Sounds really good ferret!

Cheers Chris! I like it :D

Popped into the Coyote's dyno this morning to check the tune over with the exhaust changes, slight knock at low rpms due to quicker spool but otherwise was pretty good. I didn't get a print-out but when compared with the previous curve it was about 5% more power/torque than last time at low and mid range. Peak power is similar as the VF46 runs out of puff at 5k rpm, maybe only a few extra kws but noticeable gains all through the rest of the rev range and boost comes on ~200 rpm earlier too.

I asked a few questions and was curious about the VF52 so he had another customer with an 08 Auto Lib GT he'd tuned to overlay to my graph. Power curve was the same until about 5k when the VF52 kept climbing and the VF46 died down, peak power difference was about 20-25kw however it was almost identical up to 5k. Seeing as I spend very little time in the 5-6.5k rpm range I don't think the VF52 is a worthy upgrade for my requirements so I'll scratch that from my future plans I think.
ferret89

Postby Shaheenis » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Good to hear. Did the other auto lib have a aftermarket TMIC (same mods as yours) and same boost?

The VF52 will be of benefit when racing someone and overtaking on the freeway, otherwise no benefit (besides knowing you have the legs there when you need them ;). The VF46 boogies a little sooner than the VF52.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby ferret89 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:35 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Good to hear. Did the other auto lib have a aftermarket TMIC (same mods as yours) and same boost?

The VF52 will be of benefit when racing someone and overtaking on the freeway, otherwise no benefit (besides knowing you have the legs there when you need them ;). The VF46 boogies a little sooner than the VF52.

Sorry I forgot to put that in, both are peak boost 17 psi so it was quite a good comparison. Yes the VF52 is clearly better than the 46, seeing as it is almost identical power delivery at low-mid range and has a nice top end as well but I'd only consider it if my 46 died or something and I wanted a quick replacement.

Don't know if the other lib had a TMIC, but most likely had a full exhaust which mine isn't quite a full TBE :wink: Not an exact science, but the power curves were so close it was interesting to see
ferret89

Postby Shaheenis » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:42 pm

So what is next? ;)
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby peadya100 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:56 pm

I wouldn't completely rule the 52 out just yet. I picked up power across the entire rev range when I upgraded to the 52. I picked up a lot of torque too which made it feel much faster when boost came on. I have a comparison graph on my page at the bottom under my drag times if you're interested :-)
As Tim said though, definitely not needed, but it does feel a lot pokier with the 52.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby ferret89 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:56 am

peadya100 wrote:I wouldn't completely rule the 52 out just yet. I picked up power across the entire rev range when I upgraded to the 52. I picked up a lot of torque too which made it feel much faster when boost came on. I have a comparison graph on my page at the bottom under my drag times if you're interested :-)
As Tim said though, definitely not needed, but it does feel a lot pokier with the 52.

I think the 52 is the perfect street turbo really, comes on boost nice and early and makes good power all the way to redline. I'll see how I go but at the moment I'm done with power mods for a bit and just going to enjoy the Lib :lol:

Down the track when I want more power I'll re-investigate turbo upgrades but I'd want something that made significant gains all through my rev range that will fit with minimal extra mods. Who knows though, I might find a 52 at a really good price or something and jump on it...
ferret89

Postby ferret89 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:26 am

So this happened...

IMG_1781.jpg
IMG_1781.jpg (155.37 KiB) Viewed 3298 times

After all my talk about the VF52 only being a minor upgrade from the 46, this one popped up at great price and I couldn't resist :lol: It is a great turbo for the street though, nice power in mid-range and quick spooling like the 46 but keeps pulling to redline.

My dump pipe will need modifying to fit as the wastegate setup is quite different so when I can have that sorted it'll be back to Coyote for a full re-tune :D
ferret89

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:42 pm

ferret89 wrote:So this happened...

IMG_1781.jpg

After all my talk about the VF52 only being a minor upgrade from the 46, this one popped up at great price and I couldn't resist :lol: It is a great turbo for the street though, nice power in mid-range and quick spooling like the 46 but keeps pulling to redline.

My dump pipe will need modifying to fit as the wastegate setup is quite different so when I can have that sorted it'll be back to Coyote for a full re-tune :D

Nice!

How different is your dump and why? Vf46 has an identical rear end iirc?
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby ferret89 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:43 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:
ferret89 wrote:So this happened...

The attachment IMG_1781.jpg is no longer available

Nice!

How different is your dump and why? Vf46 has an identical rear end iirc?

Well its a divorced wastegate dump pipe so it'll need modifying to work properly with the different wastegate even though it will bolt up the same

This isn't my photo but it shows the differences
VF46 vs VF52.jpg
VF46 vs VF52.jpg (131.85 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
ferret89

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods