GONEWALKABOUT- 230kW ATW

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member- GONEWALKABOUT

Postby peadya100 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:15 pm

Hahaha it seems we're all on different wave lengths here.
The photo is to show you what the turbo inlet looks like and it's locations for the sensors.
And we're not talking about the MAF sensor matt.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:23 pm

peadya100 wrote:Hahaha it seems we're all on different wave lengths here.
The photo is to show you what the turbo inlet looks like and it's locations for the sensors.

Ah - I was confused, because the holes in your inlet aren't sensors, they are inlets - PCV vent, head vent, turbo bleed, BOV return. AIUI postface has an additional plug for a seperate vent plug (which I think is the other head maybe? I'm not certain)
Last edited by HardwareBoB on Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:31 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:

Ah - I was confused, because the holes in your inlet aren't sensors, they are inlets - PCV vent, head vent, turbo bleed, BOV return. AIUI postface has an additional plug for a seperate vent plug (which I think is the other head maybe? I'm not certain)

Ahh thanks matt, so i guess the question is do they need to be connected or is venting to atmosphere sufficient.
My BOV is 50/50 so i do have an inlet for that one. Not sure about the other 2 :/

Hahaha sorry peadya completely miss read the comments, assumed it was about the CAI because you just installed one! The picture just became much clearer ;)
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby peadya100 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Sensors, inlets.... same same haha.
Thanks for the clarification Matt.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:08 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:Ahh thanks matt, so i guess the question is do they need to be connected or is venting to atmosphere sufficient.
My BOV is 50/50 so i do have an inlet for that one. Not sure about the other 2 :/

The short answer is yes, but you only need two more - one for the boost control vent (small), and one (larger) for the crankcase ventilation from the catch can that I am SURE you are putting on, RIGHT?! :)
HardwareBoB

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:15 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:
GONEWALKABOUT wrote:Ahh thanks matt, so i guess the question is do they need to be connected or is venting to atmosphere sufficient.

The short answer is yes, but you only need two more - one for the boost control vent (small), and one (larger) for the crankcase ventilation from the catch can that I am SURE you are putting on, RIGHT?! :)

Nope.

I probably should, add it too the list.. haha
not sure what the boost control vent is venting, not literally, but i would have thought it had other ways of escaping
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:10 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:not sure what the boost control vent is venting, not literally, but i would have thought it had other ways of escaping

It's bleeding air (that would otherwise go to the wastegate) that comes to it pressurised from the turbo back into the pre turbo (low pressure) inlet. If you don't attach it back to the inlet, if it is bleeding air, it is effectively a boost leak. (I mean, it is already, strictly, but it becomes a boost leak that is dumping air that was measured through the AFM. This means your measurement of air is now wrong, and changes depending on how much air the boost control is venting. (which will change at different loads,etc)
tldr: you need to plug your boost control vent valve into your intake.
HardwareBoB

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed May 27, 2015 8:46 pm

UPDATE TIME!!

SO no pics at the moment as it was dark by the time i finished but.. catch can is mounted, just need a 180 pipe bend so i can run the pipe cleanly under the intake manifold. But hose is just run straight to the intake (stock setup pretty much) in anticipation for matts visit. Oil and coolant lines FINALLY sorted for the turbo and now is fully fitted (what a PITA).

While it probably doesnt mean to much to you guys, for the first time in 6 months, the car ticked over like nothing had happened. Just letting it idle for a bit got a couple error codes, one for Air flow sensor, apparently automatically turns on when ever the sensor is removed, cleared. The second one was to do with the fuel pump (P0463 i think), fuel gauge doesnt seem to read properly, but no biggy i think for now.

And most importantly the EL kando headers with invidia Q300 sounds alright!. Albeit a bit raspy and pretty damn loud, but not bad! Will try get a video soon
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby THE SpecB » Wed May 27, 2015 9:31 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:UPDATE TIME!!

SO no pics at the moment as it was dark by the time i finished but.. catch can is mounted, just need a 180 pipe bend so i can run the pipe cleanly under the intake manifold. But hose is just run straight to the intake (stock setup pretty much) in anticipation for matts visit. Oil and coolant lines FINALLY sorted for the turbo and now is fully fitted (what a PITA).

While it probably doesnt mean to much to you guys, for the first time in 6 months, the car ticked over like nothing had happened. Just letting it idle for a bit got a couple error codes, one for Air flow sensor, apparently automatically turns on when ever the sensor is removed, cleared. The second one was to do with the fuel pump (P0463 i think), fuel gauge doesnt seem to read properly, but no biggy i think for now.

And most importantly the EL kando headers with invidia Q300 sounds alright!. Albeit a bit raspy and pretty damn loud, but not bad! Will try get a video soon

Sounds good looking forward to hearing clip!

MAP will not throw a code when removed - cleaned and put back.
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed May 27, 2015 9:47 pm

mm interesting, ahwell what ever the cause, it didnt come back!
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:29 am

Update time again!
Few minor installs: Cobb 3 port, and turbosmart FPR finally in, thanks matt.

And i guess the big news for the weeekend!

Matts given me about a year to budget for rebuild based on someone else experience with 230atw, but hopefully i will squeeze a bit more out. Next task is to tidy up the engine bay a bit, add a few more cable ties and a new coat of paint on the piping. Next i will look towards coilovers i think.. Trying to organize a clip of the exhaust still, a go pro would be ideal
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby THE SpecB » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:58 am

Nice results but why not prevent the "rebuild" I don't understand, is it tuned to blow at anytime ?

Alarm bells
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby jslayz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:03 pm

230 atw is a lot on stock internals....
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:20 pm

mm well as J said, it is pushing the stock limits of internals. and yes I was aware of this! Matt feels confident that its a rich, and therefore, slightly more safe 230, but as with pushing the limits of anything reliability will be compromised.

Im confident it wont suddenly go bang in the immediate future, unless down to some real bad luck. Engine work was the next step anyway :)
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:27 pm

or i could be wrong and it will blow up this afternoon, all in the name of science
GONEWALKABOUT

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods