GONEWALKABOUT- 230kW ATW

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member- GONEWALKABOUT

Postby THE SpecB » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:29 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:or i could be wrong and it will blow up this afternoon, all in the name of science

You know what treat it right few boost hits here and there and maintenance and it will prob go forever :)

Love to see a vid of this now with this output :)
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:35 pm

fingers crossed :) is basically all i have time for anyway haha..

Im trying to organize that sometime! it was over boosting to 22psi during tuning (no knock phew), that was much more entertaining but will see what i can do!
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby THE SpecB » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:42 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:fingers crossed :) is basically all i have time for anyway haha..

Im trying to organize that sometime! it was over boosting to 22psi during tuning (no knock phew), that was much more entertaining but will see what i can do!

How do we stop overboosting ?
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:45 pm

its too do with a mis reading somewhere in the boost control chain. For me it turned out i used the wrong plastic tubing from external wastegate to 3 port and it had melted haha

the problem was fixed :)
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby peadya100 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Congrats on the result!!
What's the blip at the peak of your dyno graph from?

Ryan (blacktop) has 250wkw on stock internals and has had for over a year. No dramas at all. I'm definitely no expert, but if the extra power is being made by a big turbo, on the same boost pressure that others run on small turbos, is that actually putting anymore stress on the internals? Or is it more than boost pressure that stresses the engine?
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby shav » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:03 pm

peadya100 wrote:Congrats on the result!!

Ryan (blacktop) has 250wkw on stock internals and has had for over a year. No dramas at all. I'm definitely no expert, but if the extra power is being made by a big turbo, on the same boost pressure that others run on small turbos, is that actually putting anymore stress on the internals? Or is it more than boost pressure that stresses the engine?

I'd be willing to say it's better efficiency getting achieving that power figure from a bigger turbo and similar boost pressure. Gives me hope in looking over the 220kwatw mark.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:07 pm

thanks mate! appreciate it

The blip is supposedly a bit of inertia or something to do with the dyno haha

you dont say? wow! i guess it all comes down to how its treated, because if you make 250 peak power but never drive much in sport sharp or rarely hit over 5 grand you will never be hitting the full 250?

Im not sure on the logistics of it all but im only running 14.7 peak psi so 1-2 more than stock i think? theres the general consensus that anything much over 20 odd will start lifting.. but i would have thought 15 psi of a bigger turbo would still be more stress due to more air from larger flow etc
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby THE SpecB » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:26 pm

I think Alexi said he has head work can etc ? Could be wrong.

What boost are you running Adam in S and S#?
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Postby peadya100 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:37 pm

Almost everyone with my sort of mods are in the 18-19psi range. Pretty standard for all tuners.

*edit* Ryan definitely drives his car, and it's as tough as a rock.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:44 pm

THE SpecB wrote:

I think Alexi said he has head work can etc ? Could be wrong.

What boost are you running Adam in S and S#?

Huh? My engine isn't stock, but has stock heads and cams.

And it's not the boost you're making that kills engines, it's the torque (aka cylinder pressure). 20psi boost from a small turbo isn't anywhere near the torque a large turbo makes with 20psi. Other factors come into play too like revs, oiling, coolant setup, knock control.

Generally on the stock unopened block - heads are easy to lift because the stock head bolts are not very good and the stock pistons are easy to break, because they're quite fragile/brittle. When you're pushing your engine so close to the limit - any accidental event like a knock event or boost spike can easily distort the head gasket and that small leak will get bigger over time...and a few months later you'll start to hear water running behind the dash etc.

Stock engines were not engineered for a super car, and you pay to play... :)
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby dr20t » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:51 pm

15psi and 230awkw is very impressive

As for preserving the engine by not using peak power - its actually peak torque where cylinder pressures are highest due to the most force exerted on the crankshaft at 10-15 crank degrees atdc being at the sweet spot of the power stroke at a given rpm and air flow.

So if you're boosting to your earliest level of peak torque (guesstimating about 4000rpm from your graph) then you're subjecting the engine to most cylinder pressure and thus more likely of blowing a headgasket or lifting the heads

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Smart words, i have some arp head studs and Cossie HG planned for the major service (87k km atm)
But hopefully knock events and such wont occur, not sure how to take preventative measure against possible knock other than keeping the A/F rich (think its into the 10's of the top of my head) and fresh, clean regular oil

Thats a good point that i over looked mick, mm ahwell, i guess time will tell :/
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby THE SpecB » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:47 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:Smart words, i have some arp head studs and Cossie HG planned for the major service (87k km atm)
But hopefully knock events and such wont occur, not sure how to take preventative measure against possible knock other than keeping the A/F rich (think its into the 10's of the top of my head) and fresh, clean regular oil

Thats a good point that i over looked mick, mm ahwell, i guess time will tell :/

Best thing is to do a learning view every say fortnight it takes 2mins then liase with your tuner. If your with Matt doesn't he enable a knock light in the dash ?
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Postby dr20t » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:50 pm

Rich afr's won't prevent excessive cylinder pressure

It will help keep the piston ring lands slightly cooler (which is good, given the notoriously weak ringlands on the ej255), but a rich afr is also a sure fire way to preignite.

Best to turn boost down / reduce timing if you're worried about lifting heads before you do the arp headstuds and headgaskets
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby THE SpecB » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:14 pm

[quote="dr20t"]Rich afr's won't prevent excessive cylinder pressure

It will help keep the piston ring lands slightly cooler (which is good, given the notoriously weak ringlands on the ej255), but a rich afr is also a sure fire way to preignite.

Best to turn boost down / reduce timing if you're worried about lifting heads before you do the arp headstuds and headgaskets[/quote

Dr20 it's for us with not as much knowledge as your self and others it's all about is trusting our tuners advice and competence.
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods