Member Profile - BathDoctor

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - BathDoctor

Postby BathDoctor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Hey guys,

Thought I'd start up this thread to show my Lib and hopefully start up some suggestions for mods!

Here it is, my MY11 2.5i. I've only had her for a couple of months and we're still getting to know eachother.

Unfortunately I don't have many pics to show at this point but this is a quick snap from the the day i bought it. Gonna make an effort this weekend to get some better pics :)

Mods:
KiDo Tune

Suspension:
King Low Springs - 30mm drop

Exterior:
-Dipped Wheels
-Ebay Boot lip

Planned mods:
    New shoes
    Rear under lip
    Front lip & Mesh Grill
    GT Exhaust

This is my first Liberty and my first Subaru. Also my first decent car. Please excuse me if I'm initially a bit of noob :?

Cheers!
Attachments
libby3.jpg
libby3.jpg (82.01 KiB) Viewed 6114 times
Last edited by BathDoctor on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
BathDoctor

Car: MY11 2.5i Premium Sedan

Re: Member Profile - BathDoctor

Postby BathDoctor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:30 pm

and here's a pic from a few weeks ago, messing around with my dslr.
Attachments
libby2.jpg
libby2.jpg (178.49 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
BathDoctor

Postby Gen5is » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Nice! You got the premium version. That leaves out a couple of things you should do to improve the looks :)

I'd say go for a tune first. If I had know from the begining how much a tune could change a car, I would have done it first!

After that, If you're on a budget, I'd say go for a rear sway bar first. Improves the handling a fair bit, it'll make it feel less boaty.

Next you could maybe got for a set of springs. If you get a set of coilovers and really lower the car beyond 2-3 inches, you'll run into a few problems.

1. The rear wheels with camber in at about -2 degrees, increasing tyre wear. To set it back to 0 or something reasonable enough not to get camber wear, you'll need a set of whiteline lobed bolts and bushings for the upper control arm, even that isn't enough, as it only gives you 0.75 degrees of correction. So you may need to chip in for a set of adjustable lower control arms which probably set you back another good $400-$500 or so.

2. Suspension geometry goes out of whack, you'll get bump steer, which you'd have to buy roll center adjusters to correct it, which sets you back another $300-400

So all in all, you'd spending more than just the coilovers if you want something that drives comfortably.

Dual exhausts you could get from a stock GT, you may need to weld on a 2nd hanger on the right.

Hope this helps!
Gen5is

Car: MY12 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22586

Postby SYM » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:26 pm

I agree with Eric re tune upfront

heres my opinion

1) Improve driveability first - tune, swaybar, and springs (or coilovers). i reckon you'll get more enjoyment driving it than looking at it (in the initial period anyway)
2) then do cosmetics like grille, lip, etc
3) then dual exhaust if that is the way you want to go.
[ MY10 Liberty GT Wagon ] : Powered by HKS | STi | KiDo | Cusco | Valenti | Crystal Eye | F&R Brembo BBK, cruisn style :mrgreen:

Pics | Jack Moss' awesome Prototype photography of the GT | MY10 LGT early days, and Most Recent pics
Vids | SYM Member Profile video | Our slick club.lib #bandbacktogether video plus Various other club.liberty vid compilations
SYM
-stickered-

Car: MY10 LGT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17124

Postby BathDoctor » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:37 pm

Gen5is wrote:Nice! You got the premium version. That leaves out a couple of things you should do to improve the looks :)

I'd say go for a tune first. If I had know from the begining how much a tune could change a car, I would have done it first!

After that, If you're on a budget, I'd say go for a rear sway bar first. Improves the handling a fair bit, it'll make it feel less boaty.

Next you could maybe got for a set of springs. If you get a set of coilovers and really lower the car beyond 2-3 inches, you'll run into a few problems.

1. The rear wheels with camber in at about -2 degrees, increasing tyre wear. To set it back to 0 or something reasonable enough not to get camber wear, you'll need a set of whiteline lobed bolts and bushings for the upper control arm, even that isn't enough, as it only gives you 0.75 degrees of correction. So you may need to chip in for a set of adjustable lower control arms which probably set you back another good $400-$500 or so.

2. Suspension geometry goes out of whack, you'll get bump steer, which you'd have to buy roll center adjusters to correct it, which sets you back another $300-400

So all in all, you'd spending more than just the coilovers if you want something that drives comfortably.

Dual exhausts you could get from a stock GT, you may need to weld on a 2nd hanger on the right.

Hope this helps!

SYM wrote:I agree with Eric re tune upfront

heres my opinion

1) Improve driveability first - tune, swaybar, and springs (or coilovers). i reckon you'll get more enjoyment driving it than looking at it (in the initial period anyway)
2) then do cosmetics like grille, lip, etc
3) then dual exhaust if that is the way you want to go.

I think I'll take your advice and concentrate on modding for performance before looks. GEN5is, Could you give me some more details about your tune? nytrojen mentioned you're really pleased with the results!

as for lowering, i dont want anything too drastic thats going to negatively effect the quality of the ride, springs getting me down a couple of inches would do the trick :)

I've never considered a swaybar but Ill put it on the list. I think the exhaust could wait, I'm just not completely satisfied with the rear end at the moment. Ultimately my goal is to have it looking something like this! :P
Attachments
10310040_10151741927257706_1067535980_o.jpg
10310040_10151741927257706_1067535980_o.jpg (100.8 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
BathDoctor

Postby Gen5is » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:19 am

Well if you want to get that low, you'll have to get coilovers.

As for the tune, PM kido_tuning (Matt) He'll tell you everything about the tune.
Gen5is

Postby BathDoctor » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:19 pm

Gen5is wrote:Well if you want to get that low, you'll have to get coilovers.

As for the tune, PM kido_tuning (Matt) He'll tell you everything about the tune.

Went and got the tune done yesterday afternoon, I'm liking how it's not holding gears for as long, feels kind of weak around 40km's, as if it drops into second a little bit too early.. Did your tune have this effect at all?
BathDoctor

Postby Gen5is » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:42 pm

BathDoctor wrote:

Went and got the tune done yesterday afternoon, I'm liking how it's not holding gears for as long, feels kind of weak around 40km's, as if it drops into second a little bit too early.. Did your tune have this effect at all?

Mmm.. I don't think so. Are you flooring it when it happens? Or just slowly accelerating? I'll do a 0-100 when I can figure out a mounting point for my SLR lol
Gen5is

Postby BathDoctor » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:45 am

Gen5is wrote:
BathDoctor wrote:

Mmm.. I don't think so. Are you flooring it when it happens? Or just slowly accelerating? I'll do a 0-100 when I can figure out a mounting point for my SLR lol

Not flooring it, just cruising along. When I floor it, it seems fine. Just as I'm cruising up to 60km's for example, it almost feels like its cutting out after the first gear, an unusual drop in acceleration :/ I think i'll do a 0-100 too.
BathDoctor

Postby BathDoctor » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:56 am

Went for a re-tune with Matt on the weekend, I'm now enjoying a smoother and more responsive ride :D Really happy with it!
BathDoctor

Postby Gen5is » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Good to hear. So the 40km/h thing got sorted out?
Gen5is

Postby BathDoctor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Yeah man! she's all good now. Looking for a good deal on springs now! :D
BathDoctor

Postby nytrojen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:18 am

BathDoctor wrote:Yeah man! she's all good now. Looking for a good deal on springs now! :D

Let me know what you find. I might be interested in a double up deal ;)
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby BathDoctor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:07 pm

nytrojen wrote:
BathDoctor wrote:Yeah man! she's all good now. Looking for a good deal on springs now! :D

Let me know what you find. I might be interested in a double up deal ;)

Will do mate, best I've found so far is the full set of king lows that I linked to you, Although the drop is only 30mm, I think that's the way I'll go.
BathDoctor

Postby nytrojen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:16 pm

Yeah I'm thinking so too. 30mm drop should be plenty for me, just as long as it gets rid of the tractor look
nytrojen
-stickered-

Next

Return to Post your mods