Member Profile - McDoof

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - McDoof

Postby McDoof » Fri May 08, 2015 7:27 pm

There is a place on the North Shore of Auckland that does them properly. Guessing it's a case of heating, compressing and re-tempering. Dropped the front springs off this morning. Should have them back early next week
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby shav » Sat May 09, 2015 11:42 am

McDoof wrote:There is a place on the North Shore of Auckland that does them properly. Guessing it's a case of heating, compressing and re-tempering. Dropped the front springs off this morning. Should have them back early next week

Awesome. Im keen to hear how well they work post fitment. I'll do this to mine if it's successful.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby McDoof » Mon May 11, 2015 2:46 pm

Just ordered the rear sway bar too, so that should hopefully not take too long to deliver. Went with a Cusco bar in the end.
McDoof

Postby shav » Mon May 11, 2015 3:42 pm

McDoof wrote:Just ordered the rear sway bar too, so that should hopefully not take too long to deliver. Went with a Cusco bar in the end.

Cusco is great, same with Whiteline. Cant go wrong with either. Did you get the heavy duty mounts as well?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Mon May 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Cusco is great, same with Whiteline. Cant go wrong with either. Did you get the heavy duty mounts as well?

Just the mounts that come with it. Going to stick with the stock links for now and upgrade later of I feel I need them
McDoof

Postby shav » Mon May 11, 2015 4:40 pm

McDoof wrote:

Just the mounts that come with it. Going to stick with the stock links for now and upgrade later of I feel I need them

Fair enough. I have the Cusco HD mounts on mine with the WL rear sway. Mainly did it so I didnt have to do them later. For $90 I thought stuff it, just do it, then its done.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Mon May 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks to having a wife, 3 kids and a mortgage amongst my expenses on a single income , my car budget is limited. It does make me hunt out the very best value mods I think
McDoof

Postby shav » Mon May 11, 2015 5:55 pm

McDoof wrote:Thanks to having a wife, 3 kids and a mortgage amongst my expenses on a single income , my car budget is limited. It does make me hunt out the very best value mods I think

Totally understand. Not trying to push ya. Agree that seeing stuff in the for sale section can be far more appealing than forking out full retail for. Apart from the 3 kids part, I know how you feel. LOL
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Thu May 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Stock front springs. Reset to 20mm shorter. Will get these back in on the weekend and see how the stance looks
McDoof

Postby shav » Thu May 14, 2015 1:07 pm

McDoof wrote:Stock front springs. Reset to 20mm shorter. Will get these back in on the weekend and see how the stance looks

They look like the rears. Keen to know how the performance is with these reset.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Mon May 18, 2015 7:06 am

So I have gone back to the reset stock springs. It looks like they only compress the top of the spring from where the spiral narrows. I assume this is to keep the normal handling characteristics. So the result is..........
Brilliant really. The stance is nice and even again between front and rear and the ride is so much smoother than the RS-R springs. I think the only conclusion I can draw from this is that Subaru might actually know what they are doing when it comes to setting up their suspension. Albeit a bit high on ride height.
The car has a bit more understeer with this setup, but my new Cusco rear sway bar just arrived so that should dial that out nicely. I'll get some pics this week at some point.
McDoof

Postby shav » Mon May 18, 2015 11:11 am

McDoof wrote:So I have gone back to the reset stock springs. It looks like they only compress the top of the spring from where the spiral narrows. I assume this is to keep the normal handling characteristics. So the result is..........
Brilliant really. The stance is nice and even again between front and rear and the ride is so much smoother than the RS-R springs. I think the only conclusion I can draw from this is that Subaru might actually know what they are doing when it comes to setting up their suspension. Albeit a bit high on ride height.
The car has a bit more understeer with this setup, but my new Cusco rear sway bar just arrived so that should dial that out nicely. I'll get some pics this week at some point.

This sounds like great news. Good to hear. When you say they compress the top, do you mean they reheat and reset the top of the coil only? or do they fix it some other way?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Mon May 18, 2015 11:59 am

This sounds like great news. Good to hear. When you say they compress the top, do you mean they reheat and reset the top of the coil only? or do they fix it some other way?

I should have taken a photo from the side before I fitted them to show what I mean.
It looks to me like the bottom 3/4 of the spring has not been changed.
So if you look at the pic of the stock spring here, then the pic of my reset ones you can see (sort of) the the top seat has been pushed down into the coil a bit. I assume they still heat and re-temper the whole thing though for consistency. I didn't ask to be fair. Then again I might just be imagining it. All I know is that it rides like stock, which is good, but it is lower and looks good.
McDoof

Postby shav » Mon May 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks for the explanation. That seems like a great compromise. Im going to enquire about getting mine done with the local spring factory here in SA. I really want my ride quality back.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Mon May 18, 2015 1:41 pm

I really want my ride quality back.

After this I really question the research that the manufacturers do with some after market springs. I can see the benefit of the really firm ride if you are going on a track, but it just seems pointless and painful on the street.
McDoof

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods