Member Profile - SomeFReaK - 07 STI Wagon

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Postby SomeFReaK » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi All,

I thought i should start a thread on my Lib. I had been thinking about getting something 4cyl+turbo+awd (ie, WRX or EVO) but thanks to a few friends, lib sti's came onto my radar.

When a cheap STI popped up online interstate i initially dismissed it, but for some reason i got the guys number. When i called, he had a buyer fall through due to the damage to the car, and they had done most of the negotiations for me :) When i got the car, it was not in the best condition, but because of this, i got a bargain.

When i picked it up it had a cracked windscreen, cracked passenger headlight, missing passenger foglight plastics, cracked and missing plastics on the passenger front guard and the front passenger wheel bearing had seen better days. Over the next few days i replaced all those bits and pieces (with Ryans help, thanks mate). Here it is ready for a roadworthy (parked next to BlackSTI's My07 STI Sedan :) )

Some engine bay shots, it came with a 4" stainless dump, turbosmart dual port BOV and a custom tune. I have since re-attached the engine cover:

Turbo/Dump - Image
Engine (no cover) - Image

The car came with a brand new STI front lip in a box complete with Japanese instructions. Luckily there was good pictures that helped me re-fit it. Before (note engine cover on):

After it was re-attached, good as new!

I also got a cargo bay cover from a wreckers on ebay:

The front grille was cracked, and the chrome flaking. I didn't know about the whole 08 STI honeycombe grille, so ended up buying a CF late one night on ebay, and an sti badge (more rice :? ) There is a good 1cm gap at the bottom, so i will probably get rid of it, but for now, it looks better than the stock one.
Side by side:

Fitted, bonnet open then bonnet closed:

I also spent a bit of time with bug and tar remover working on the BERT badge. I then went over it with polish, then wax sealer, came up well!

i decided to install USB power sockets for GoPro's or whatever. I used pulled apart a car USB power adapter, and soldered some old computer cables into it. My dremel skills leave alot to be desired, but i think it turned out pretty well...

Next, time to sort out some incar entertainment. I wanted to swap in a double-din system that does all the bluetooth handsfree/media stuff, but after reading many threads on here, i decided to try a nexus install. I did a test connect of the tablet which allowed me to iron out a few bugs (audio output was way too low)

Home made OTG USB cable and tablet on its mount:

Once the tablet is off the mount, you can tuck the cable into the box and close it:

I wanted it to be as removable as possible:

Currently, It sleeps at the farm next to the caravan of love and the corolla tool box.

Some other glory shots ;)

So next mods are likely to be engine driveline related. It badly needs a bigger rear swaybar, plus Kido Tune. I would like to pull the motor, give the engine a good once over (gaskets, belts, clutch, plugs etc.) to make sure its still in good running condition. Turbo/intake work aren't off the cards either :)
SomeFReaK

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25973

Re: Member Profile - SomeFReaK - 07 STI Wagon

Postby Sean82 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 pm

Nice pick up mate!
Nice RSB will work very well.

I'd be looking at getting a Tactrix, a laptop for tuning and chatting to Eric at Torqued Performance :D
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Postby SomeFReaK » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:07 pm

I think my tactrix cable almost made it to my house before the liberty ;) I hadn't heard of torqued, thanks for the link.

The last time the car was tuned was alot of km ago, so i think having a look at the tune is more protection than performance. I have had a look through the current tune in RomRaider, but i am very reluctant to change anything without a wide-band.
SomeFReaK

Postby Sean82 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:16 am

Sweet!
If things are looking good on logging and in the Learning View, I'd leave it or get a complete retune.

Wideband would definitely help...though I know a lot of people with stock turbo and injectors get tuned on just stock O2 sensor.
Eric is happy to tune on stock O2 sensor so long as it's got stock injectors.
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Postby SomeFReaK » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Long time since an update... Ended up going with a kido tune. Car is faster and smoother. Too fast for the exhaust LOL

I re-hung it, but i will be getting the welder out for a more perminant fix soon.

I ended up swapping the stock suspension with another forum members coil-overs :) Install took no time at all

the fronts had camber adjustment bolts on them:

I left the height close to stock, but i like the better handling. I might drop it a little further. The car feels like it wants to understeer more, so i think a big rear swaybar will be next.

While i had the trim out of the back, i decided to add a ciggy lighter plug

I got in on the battery and abs cover group buy on the ozfoz forums, so they will be coming soon :)
SomeFReaK

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:33 pm

SomeFReaK wrote:Long time since an update... Ended up going with a kido tune. Car is faster and smoother. Too fast for the exhaust LOL

I re-hung it, but i will be getting the welder out for a more perminant fix soon.

I ended up swapping the stock suspension with another forum members coil-overs :) Install took no time at all

the fronts had camber adjustment bolts on them:

I left the height close to stock, but i like the better handling. I might drop it a little further. The car feels like it wants to understeer more, so i think a big rear swaybar will be next.

While i had the trim out of the back, i decided to add a ciggy lighter plug

I got in on the battery and abs cover group buy on the ozfoz forums, so they will be coming soon :)

Too much torque haha, makes it a rocket and even Adam fom JEM was impressed!
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby SomeFReaK » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:15 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
Too much torque haha, makes it a rocket and even Adam fom JEM was impressed!

hahaha :lol:
SomeFReaK

Postby SomeFReaK » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:20 am

Just thought i would update this, its been a while, and i havent had much of a chance to play with bert.

Most recent thing is, i have become a collector of jerry cans LOL

Matt hooked me up with an e85 tune and i swapped a dw65c in there :) Corn juice rocks! I also gave the wagon a good clean, it must have been sitting under covers for about 5 months :/

I have also decided to ditch the busted ass exhaust, my repairs were shoddy at best, so im on the look out for a new CBE. Im half considering getting some mufflers and getting a local exhaust shop to make another Y pipe, the one that was on there was obviously built in the same manner. I had a good look at the dump install and compared the piping to photos i have found of invidia systems as an example, and im pretty sure the joins are in different spots :(

Oh well, thats next on the list anyhow :)
SomeFReaK

Return to Post your mods