Member profile: Knockoutgiant

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member profile: Knockoutgiant

Postby knockoutgiant » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Well guys, thanks for reminding me why I never post on here. Always good for a laugh though I guess :lol:

No. Still no tune. Not after the intake. Not after the exhaust. Not after the top mount. The fact that you guys think I've spun a bearing due to not having a tune with light modifications rather than the excessive cornering force it was subjected to on the track is laughable. But hey, each to their own right?

Thanks Mac for that actual useful information, very much appreciate it and I'll flick them an email now!
knockoutgiant

Car: Legacy

Postby unabletoconnect » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:25 pm

so you honestly think that G forces acting on the engine from going around a corner caused the spun bearing.........please help the human race:(

Maybe you should have just been dragging the car in a straight line!
unabletoconnect

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Postby knockoutgiant » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:48 pm

unabletoconnect wrote:so you honestly think that G forces acting on the engine from going around a corner caused the spun bearing.........please help the human race:(

Yes. I think the speed I was going whilst fish-tailing threw the oil from side to side fast enough for the bearing to starve of oil. You act like this is completely unheard of? Point is there's no way to prove either of our assumptions are true so how about we just drop it?
knockoutgiant

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:09 pm

Maybe a combo of both?
Do a Learning View on the run in tune on the new motor to confirm.

The stock ECU can only compensate for a certain amount of non stock mods afaik...
After a certain point your IAM would drop, limiting boost... You'd hope...

Just swapping out my stock mod muffs for straight throughs was enough to light up my LV's with knock related compensations.

Do you do LV's eg with Tactrix or BtSsm?
If you can't get Matts tune, then Torqued Performance is a great option if you have a Tactrix & laptop...
Take a peek at the tune FAQ link in my sig for more info and happy motoring :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby andy_mac » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:26 pm

unabletoconnect wrote:so you honestly think that G forces acting on the engine from going around a corner caused the spun bearing.........please help the human race:(

In that case please explain the purpose of baffled sumps or do you just consider them some expensive, unseeable bling?
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby ferret89 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Sorry to hear about all of this knockoutgiant, but the guys are just trying to help people so that people new to the scene don't make the same mistakes like putting a whole bunch of performance mods on and not getting the car properly re-tuned before driving hard.

Not trying to kick you while you are down but it is widely known that after even a few of those mods a tune is required to be safe, otherwise it is a ticking time bomb (not even mentioning a track day). It may have been exacerbated by the hard cornering etc. on the track but the fact that you don't seem to think that not having a re-tune was the problem here.

I've also had to pay for a new engine and it is not fun so I feel your pain but I am now super paranoid about making sure my car is running right and not just bolting things on and heading for the nearest mountain.

Anyway, if you have the cash and want to make much more power I'd definitely recommend the EJ257 + forged pistons option.
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:35 pm

If the engine and its breather system are compromised the heads can fill with oil, leading to oil in the inlet, leading to det.
And seasoned track monkeys are known to use an extra 250-500ml oil overfill for the track, and thats with high volume sumps and upgrade baffles... But still...

bigBADbenny wrote:Maybe a combo of both?
Do a Learning View on the run in tune on the new motor to confirm.

The stock ECU can only compensate for a certain amount of non stock mods afaik...
After a certain point your IAM would drop, limiting boost... You'd hope...

Just swapping out my stock mod muffs for straight throughs was enough to light up my LV's with knock related compensations.

Do you do LV's eg with Tactrix or BtSsm?
If you can't get Matts tune, then Torqued Performance is a great option if you have a Tactrix & laptop...
Take a peek at the tune FAQ link in my sig for more info and happy motoring :)
bigBADbenny

Postby knockoutgiant » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:44 pm

I'd agree it's probably a combonation of both.

I haven't done and can't/don't know how to do a Learning view. I've tried multiple times on both LV and Romraider and even with Matt's help I can't seem to figure out how to get it to connect. Being the JDM 03 Legacy it's apparently the hardest to find roms for. I've managed to get Matt to find me/mod my stock rom to a newer model number that has exactly the same parameters but I still can't get it to connect to that one either :S

Thanks for your input Ferret. I'm definitely not saying the mods without a tune haven't/didn't contribute as I'm sure they did, however I just don't persionally think that was the majority of the reason.

I'm thinking the EJ257 with forged pistons is the way to go aswell. 10k+ is probably a little excessive. There's a rebuilt EJ257 shortblock on trademe for $1500 that I was thinking of buying and chucking forged pistons in but then I'm just a little weary of the stock rods.

As I knew about the whole bearing issue on manfield track (A lot of subies have met their maker on this specific courner) I overfilled the oil to try and prevent aswell.. Turns out it didn't help :lol:
knockoutgiant

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Strewth! This could be an opportunity for you to try BtSsm, the developer is very helpful with unknown and unsupported ECUid's.

Take a peek at the BtSsm and consider contacting the developer via the website or eg on LGT...
BtSsm is predominately K-line so it should be possible and may open the door to using your Tactrix down the road.

And yeah the silver lining to any engine failure is a stronger more reliable bottom end, my choice would be going all out with a 2.3L DR :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: L
bigBADbenny

Postby knockoutgiant » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:27 pm

Alrighty man I'll have a look into BtSsm! Worst thing is spending $300 on a tactrix and not being able to use it for anything!

2.3L.... 8k redline and torque huh? :mrgreen:
knockoutgiant

Postby McDoof » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:49 am

Where are you based? I'm sure someone could lend you a tactrix dongle.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 am

But contact the developer with your ECU ID before proceeding :)
Read the BtSsm FAQ: you can use it with Tactrix as well if your Android device has otg, you can't flash via the BT plug, it's mainly for logging gauges and LV.
But if it works at all, it should via Tactrix, meaning you may just need to get your Tactrix logging & flashing pc sorted, eg with the right definition (see step 1) drivers and config, saving you from potentially grenading the new motah.

It's a bit dull and nerdy but that's the small sacrifice you pay for a reliable and powerful car.
So read the Tune and BtSsm links in my sig and come at me with any questions :)
bigBADbenny

Postby andy_mac » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:02 am

He's already got a Tactrix. Just can't get it running correctly for his car. Spent a bit of time going through it with him and he's got everything set up correctly, just happens to be a model no one has made romraider or ecuflash defs for in the past. Logging will work but cannot flash roms and learning view doesn't have the ecu either so that can't run if i remember correctly
andy_mac

Postby McDoof » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:29 am

I see. You can normally read the rom even without the ECU Defs and find the ECU ID inside it. Just did one a few minutes ago from an 07 JDM 3.0R with a D2UJ001Q ECU ID. Never seen that one before.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby andy_mac » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:22 pm

Yea getting the ID was fine not sure on reading the rom though. Without a def file it doesn't understand the data its receiving. Couldn't do anything with mine until I managed to come across an experimental def file hidden on the romraider forum.
andy_mac

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods