Member profile: Knockoutgiant

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member profile: Knockoutgiant

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:28 pm

The stock tune Air Volume vs Voltage relation (aka MAF scaling) is specific to the stock airbox MAF housing.

The MAF scaling is just a table with the stock tested values recorded in it. Change the diameter/shape of the MAF housing (the pipe where the MAF sits) - those values no longer apply. For eg. increasing the size of the housing will net the same cooling of the wire (at any particular air speed), even while there is actually more air passing.

If your new housing size is exactly the same size as stock, you should be ok. That doesn't mean the after-market intake is going to be completely under control of the stock scaling. To monitor what's really going on - do a Learning View.

In any case, if you've never had a tune done before, it's arguably the best first mod you can do. You'll feel actual gains and a decent one can be had for $100.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby knockoutgiant » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:23 am

Well it's starting to make a bit more sense now....

Just out of curiosity I'm going to measure the stock vs aftermarket pipe sizes.

And what exactly is a "Learning view" assuming it's some kind of datalogger?

I've got to agree on the tune though... I'll talk to someone that can do some e-tunes sooon.
knockoutgiant

Car: Legacy

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:08 pm

knockoutgiant wrote:Well it's starting to make a bit more sense now....

Just out of curiosity I'm going to measure the stock vs aftermarket pipe sizes.

And what exactly is a "Learning view" assuming it's some kind of datalogger?

I've got to agree on the tune though... I'll talk to someone that can do some e-tunes sooon.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopi ... =32&t=7397 - that should be the latest version of Learning view.

Use a tactrix cable, or a vagcom cable (iirc these work too?) or whatever else you find connects to the obd2 port and your laptop.

There is a thread in the Tuning section titled Leaning View snapshots/discussion - read all about it. Great little app, shows if your fuel trims are off (like if the MAF scaling isn't keeping up with the mods) and also shows stored Fine Learning Knock events - ie. if your engine was knocking. Take the knock readings with a grain of salt though, as the Liberty knock sensor is known to be very sensitive. However if you see major knock, and the fuel trims are maxxed out - then you can start worrying. :)
alexeiwoody

Postby knockoutgiant » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Sounds like a bit of fun! Programs downloaded and a Vagcom cable's on it's way! :D

Now to have a bit of a read and see how all this shit works....
knockoutgiant

Postby knockoutgiant » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Got the new pads today and decided that there was too much vibration so got the front and rear rotors skimmed while I was at it!

Disappointingly I didn't bleed them properly so haven't been able to test them properly yet.

Also have a Vagcom cable now..... Just gotta figure out how to install it all properly :lol:

Okay a little confused.... Learning View say's it doesn't support my ecu :S And romraider can't even find my ecu....
knockoutgiant

Postby KelvinTaylor88 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Hey stranger, finally found your build thread!
Still loving those genomes, you should make a post in the exhausts thread.
2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B Urban Grey Metallic
Tuned, Raptor Headers, K2 Gear Spec Neo Catback, HKS ES Premium Ti Limited Mufflers, Shockworks Coilovers, Rays 57 Pro w/ Titanium Lip, Advan AD08R, JDM Front End w/ Zerosports Front Lip, Corazon Grille, Deltaspeed Side Skirts, Custom Headlights, Stickered, and more...

WTB: Diffuser, Subaru Badge, Brembos?
KelvinTaylor88

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec-B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26710

Postby knockoutgiant » Mon May 25, 2015 6:29 pm

Haven't updated this in a while so I guess I should! Also I don't want to hear the "should have got it tuned already" blah blah blah, I already know.

First up, strut brace! STI one. Has bad paint but picked it up for cheap so will get it repainted eventually

Next, Perrin radiator stays and a Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley (yes I know the "Harmonic balancer" argument) and basically I'm just a sucker for shiny things, don't judge :lol:

Took it to a trackday and managed to get my best time ever (1:25.8 around Manfield), however it did take it's toll on the tyres....

How they're supposed to look:

How they look now:

Sidewall wear anyone?

Done a few more thousand kms and the clutch decided to slip, so, natrually I went with a Exedy heavy duty kit with a single mass flywheel conversion

This was my first gearbox/clutch job ever so there were a few "hiccups". Such as trying to be a cheat and getting the axle out without removing the CV nut, of course that f%^ked the seal, ohwell, lesson learned! :lol:

As I said, a sucker for shiny things! Cobb battery tie down and a Cobb stage 1+ short shift kit

Perrin Pre-turbo intake pipe

Continued.....
knockoutgiant

Postby knockoutgiant » Mon May 25, 2015 6:37 pm

One of these!

Image3

However i can't for the life of me figure out how to get it going -_- Hopefully when Mr Mcleod comes to NZ in a few weeks time he can give me a few tips :oops:

Have a Grimmspeed 3 port electronic boost control solenoid sitting here waiting for tune time

Got a Subtech catless downpipe. When I get a new turbo I will be going catted as this has made it FAR too loud. Nice and quiet on idle/cruising but when you floor it she screams! Video to come.

I have purchased a few items that I'm waiting on. One being a Damd carbon steering wheel that I purchased 6 months ago that still hasn't arrived -_- The next being a Fujitisubo exhaust from Japan that should be here in a few months.

Now all I have to purchase is a Process West Top mount intercooler and I'm ready to get the long awaited tune!
knockoutgiant

Postby knockoutgiant » Mon May 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Entered her into a show N Shine for shits and giggles and ended up winning best Subie!

And a few more pics of course :D

knockoutgiant

Postby McDoof » Mon May 25, 2015 7:00 pm

Nice work. Car is looking good.
I did a similar number on my tyres at Hampton Downs. I even had them pumped up to 40 PSI. Shoulder scrub wasn't quite as bad.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby shav » Mon May 25, 2015 7:31 pm

The car looks amazing. Love your wheels choice too.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby knockoutgiant » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Update!

Managed to get myself a Processwest TMIC, was a bit weary as I have seen anyone fit one to a JDM turbo setup but she seemed to fit like a dream!

I've replaced my In-cabin air filter as everyone seems to neglect these (as they clearly have mine!)

Andddd the sad news :cry:

We had a "Flatnats" meet here in NZ, a national Subaru megameet really which consisted of a trackday and a few other bits and pieces. Being a track nut of course I had to have a go! Tyres were pretty gone but I decided to use them for the trackday then throw them out. Got a bit of footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Me3ut6wLc

During the 2nd race I think it was, I got a little bit sideways, managed to save it and not stack it into a wall so that's a plus :lol: However I did manage to spin a big end bearing.... Ya'know, as all Subie owners eventually do :roll:

So, engines out! Engines ripped apart to assess damages and boy it's not pretty!

Pick-up and sump looked lovely!

And the damage!

So basically, cranks rooted, rods rooted, bearings rooted.

I've made sure it take a load of photos and place everything nicely in labled bags so hopefully putting it back together should be a breeze!

What I'm going to do... Well that's uncertain.

I could just get a new crank, get of forged rods and pistons and try and rebuild it myself. Or I could buy a brand new EJ257 shortblock, chuck some forged pistons in that then get my EJ20Y head's machined to match, OR 3rd option is I can go to somewhere like Possum Bourne motorsports (VERY highly reguarded Subaru builders in NZ) and get them to build me a froged EJ25 with my heads. Have had it priced and it's going to be a little over 10k but I think as reliability goes it's probably the best thing to do.... Ohwell, I've got a lot of saving to do before anything happens at all :lol: :cry: :evil:
knockoutgiant

Postby andy_mac » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:16 pm

Yea 10k's a pretty big bill to front up with unexpectedly ay.
You looked into prices from DTech in Tauranga? Their reputation is right up their with possum bourne.
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby jslayz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:25 am

I feel the pain...
Tell me you had a tune after the PW TMIC was fitted....??
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby alexeiwoody » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:09 pm

knockoutgiant wrote:
bigBADbenny wrote:Just sayin cos plenty blow up their car with just an intake and no tune :)

I've always wondered about that.... How exactly does one "Blow up" their car with just an intake?

A discussion we had exactly a year ago.

knockoutgiant wrote:However i can't for the life of me figure out how to get it going -_- Hopefully when Mr Mcleod comes to NZ in a few weeks time he can give me a few tips :oops:

Have a Grimmspeed 3 port electronic boost control solenoid sitting here waiting for tune time

Now all I have to purchase is a Process West Top mount intercooler and I'm ready to get the long awaited tune!

Still no tune?

knockoutgiant wrote:Haven't updated this in a while so I guess I should! Also I don't want to hear the "should have got it tuned already" blah blah blah, I already know.

Still no re-tune...?

jslayz wrote:I feel the pain...
Tell me you had a tune after the PW TMIC was fitted....??

To add to your question J - have that intake, dump pipe, PW intercooler and turbo inlet pipe....been tuned for? :|
alexeiwoody

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods