Member Profile - tony_m

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - tony_m

Postby kiahatsiu » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:01 pm

At worst, mount it in your garage. Lots of things can and will go wrong when honing your manskills. I would say it would be more useful there than in the car. Also, speaking to the pilot here, go somewhere and do extinguisher training. Important to know which extinguisher to use and how. Shit does go bang from time to time.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby tony_m » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Cheers Ian. Definitely a good idea there. I'll speak to the CFI and see if we can get a group done at the flying school perhaps.

I decided to mount the extinguisher in the boot. Real Estate might get a bit shirty if I mount into the wall.

Drilled a few small holes and secured in both directions with cable ties. The holes will be unnoticeable if the bracket is ever removed, and if it gets used and replaced I'll endeavour to use the same location anyway. It's nice and sturdy, and isn't going anywhere.

Cable ties top & bottom, plus one over the lower screw bracket prevents it moving forwards or backwards.

Tidy and out of the way.

Happy with that...
Last edited by tony_m on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony_m

Car: 2008 Heritage Luxury Edition
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23965

Postby kiahatsiu » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Noice.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby Kody.B » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Nice install!

Are there any laws regarding extinguishers in cars?
I remember being told that if the car sets in fire and the extinguisher isn't used that the car isn't insured but that didn't sound right to me...
| 2004 Safety Pack 2.5i 5MT|
|2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Club Spec 9|
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Kody.B

Car: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18714

Postby tony_m » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Cheers guys :D

While nothing regarding insurance would surprise me, definitely doesn't sound right mate! I wouldn't think they would actually try and pull something like that. Surely they appreciate you've had the forethought, and in a situation like that I'm sure any of us would do whatever we could to try and prevent damage. Who wouldn't use it if it was right there?!!
tony_m

Postby tony_m » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Also- while I am here- small update regarding the steering wheel controls.. Ordered Brunsy's spare set, they are in the post. Eagerly awaiting their arrival! They are black with grey buttons, very keen to get them installed, and remove the CF for good! Will post pics as soon as.
tony_m

Postby tony_m » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:57 pm

Finally got the steering wheel control audio unit to work. What an adventure that turned out to be. I am not alone in thinking it was a plug and play upgrade! Seems like some folks are lucky, others aren't.

Basically, depending on the spec of your car, and perhaps the day of the week it was wired back in Japan, they will either have all the wiring in place for the audio swc unit, or half of it. It *might* be present in any of the 3 harnesses it goes through between your stereo and roll connector in the steering column. Which ones has to be investigated in each situation.

Days of research, PM'ing, Facebooking, Googling, resulted in many dead ends and lots of useless information. I managed to get it all going, thanks to Steve's (sjm69) wiring diagrams, and a photo in his thread on this forum, which showed OEM wiring locations. Also credit to SVXdc across half a dozen forums I came across. Absolute wiring guru. Never spoke, but his wealth of information clarified so much.

Half the battle was trying to find a plug which was simply called B68- when I eventually located it, it was a different size, with different pin layouts and not exactly where I spent most of my time searching for it! Then was simply a matter of running the wires between the back of the headunit and to the plug. I say simply, in hindsight!

I should write up a quick DIY- I have a few photos and a workaround which is easier than trying to splice wires in such a restrictive area.

In other news- Stock steering wheel and (no carbon) steering wheel cruise control + blank panel are now for sale! Perfect condition :lol:

Aaaaanyway! Here's some photos for everyone. I know Brunsy wanted to see the SWC's installed. I'm stoked with them- especially now they work too!
So happy to have removed the carbon fibre on the steering wheel trim, I hated it!

...The flash highlights interior trim strangely - First pic is the most accurate colour-wise, due to no flash.

DAMD & Full SWC goodness...

tony_m

Postby alessandro132 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 pm

Looks the goods mate :good:
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
alessandro132
-stickered-

Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Postby Bezzza » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:19 am

Gots to get me one of those wheels, I'm think I'm in love :shock:
Looking very nice indeed.
mod -> tune -> drive -> get bored -> repeat...
Bezzza

Car: MY08 tb STi Wagon, 5AT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17319

Postby tony_m » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Cheers fellas!

Ian - I recommend the wheel, you won't be disappointed! Overpriced, but hey- just don't tell your Mrs! :lol:
Last edited by tony_m on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony_m

Postby ynot87 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:13 pm

loving the progress, keep up the good work
ynot87

Car: MY06 Liberty GT TB STi
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16443

Postby tony_m » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Today I finally received - the third one, mind you - a replacement dash cam. Haven't tested it out yet, fingers crossed!! Happy to have one back in the car. I felt so vulnerable without it :lol: Last cameras would randomly freeze up, which rendered them totally useless until the card was formatted. Strange as I tried 2 different SD cards in the first 2 cameras, before the seller finally accepted that it was the camera! and not the cards. They were never full either, and the camera is supposed to overwrite from the beginning at that point anyway. His whole replacement process is very laborious, so I'm hoping this is the last time!
tony_m

Previous

Return to Post your mods