BP5/BL5 JDM Headlamps with HID inbuilt

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

BP5/BL5 JDM Headlamps with HID inbuilt

Postby Akwoo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:18 pm

A few of you know that awhile back I purchase some replacement headlamps off the japanese model liberty GT bp5/bl5. The difference is that they have HID bi-xenon headlamps over there like the ones provided on our 07 model.

The install didn't go too smoothly, first issue was that the plug didn't fit into our aus spec wiring harness. So we had take the plug off the aus spec lights and use it on the jap spec lights, luckily this didn't involve much rewiring (with only change was that the yellow and red wire had to soldered together as our aus spec wiring harness has 5 wires going into it instead of the jap specs 6). The pins were also easily removed from the plugs.

Second issue was that the aus model does not having the wiring for the self leveling motor, this has not been fixed yet and I am sourcing some wiring. I can purchase the 07 wiring but it is like $90 each side.

Without the self leveling, the lights still work however and can be manually adjusted. First test on the road without adjusting headlamps, the lights lighted up very far, probably double the standard lights and a lot wider with a silverish tinge rather than being blue like the audis/bmws.

After adjusting a bit lower coz an oncoming car hi beamed me. woops, the lights are probably 50% further than standard now and wider as well. Its been a great improvement over standard, in the end it costed me about $1450, I know I could of purchased some HID kit from ebay for around $500 but its always good to have OEM stuff. If I can also sell the aus spec lights which sell for $800 each from Subaru, the price is not that bad afterall.

Heres some pictures if your curious of whats the difference
poor car
the lamps
the ballast
Image[/img]
Akwoo

Postby MY07GT » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:36 pm

Good work mate!

Post up sum pics with the lights on and how much light it generates over the stockies!

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby Akwoo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:37 pm

will do, i'll try not to blind the camera
Akwoo

Postby MY07GT » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:55 pm

LOL i meant more of wat sort of vision u get on the road, but yeah i would like to see how the healights look tooz.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby EJ25 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:57 pm

thanks for dat, i was thinking about doing taht too, guess not..too much work
EJ25

Postby Akwoo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:33 am

No probs, haven't had chance to take photos of the lights on the road. will try do it soon.

But I also noticed another difference between the lights after talking to James. He actually got me lights with all the black plastic bits replaced with the reflective mirror coating. I like it.
Akwoo

Postby bonski » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:47 pm

:cry: Was hoping this was a straightforward mod as was plannign to do it.

I actually thought that as a requirement for roadworthyness HIDs had to have both

1. Self levelling.
2. Headlight washers.

I know my wife's Accord euro has both these things - I presume this isnt a concern for you really.

(I am trying to keep my car as close to legal this time around, the sti saw too many defects and a couple of annoying trips to the EPA)
bonski

Postby Ric » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:00 am

Would be good if you could get a side by side photo with another Liberty with stock lights :)
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Return to Post your mods