Member Profile - Garthos - Gen V Wagon - UPDATE ON PAGE 3

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - Garthos - Gen V Wagon - UPDATE ON PAGE 3

Postby garthos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 pm

**UPDATE ON PAGE 3**

Hi All,

Been an active member on here since 2009 when I purchased my MY09 2.5i Heritage Liberty sedan (some pics here http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9462)

The lease was finally up on the MY09 so I've recently upgraded to an MY10 GT Wagon, 6spd man and black. I was pretty reluctant on the Gen5's at first, but after seeing a couple of wagons in person and seeing some very tasty mods on some of the Gen5's on this forum, I took the plunge and finally took ownership of the GT a couple of weeks ago. I had to transport from Adelaide to Sydney as it was the only one I could find that matched my criteria (GT, Wagon, low Kms, Man and Black) but I have no regrets and cant believe how much I love this car - its a whole new ballgame from the non turbo Gen4!!

So I've got plenty of mods in store, and I'm currently in talks with Phat about what exhaust I will get fitted. Leaning towards the HKS TBE w/ ES Premiums mufflers, hopefully with titanium burnt tips - but will see.....

The only mods I've done since receiving the car a couple of weeks ago is swapping over Leo's LEDS from the Gen4 and putting on the 19" RS GTs, but since doing so I now realise the highest priority mod on my list is a new set of springs, the current stock ride height really accentuates the wheel arch gap and its driving me nuts. I'm looking to fit a set of TEIN springs ASAP and then I will move onto the rest of the mods.

Mods list and Photos below.

Current Mods: 19" RS GTs rims, LED upgrade (LEO)

Wanted Mods: TEIN Springs, Corazon front grille, Cyber R bonnet scoop, HKS TBE w/ ES premium mufflers, HKS BOV and tune.

These are just the initial and essential mods that I plan to do over the next month, I'll then work on the rest of the mods, I fear the list will get pretty long pretty quick!!

Thanks guys, any feedback is welcome, particularly in regards to exhaust - I haven't committed to the HKS TBE yet.....

MY09 is up for sale in the 'For Sale' section here : http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21165

Cheers

Garth.
Last edited by garthos on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
garthos
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21375&start=30

Re: Member Profile - Garthos

Postby alessandro132 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Nice upgrade, I'm sure you're loving the better performance already :mrgreen:
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
alessandro132
-stickered-

Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Postby garthos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:16 pm

alessandro132 wrote:Nice upgrade, I'm sure you're loving the better performance already :mrgreen:

shit yeah!! It's Apples and Oranges :D :D
garthos
-stickered-

Postby SYM » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 pm

nice one garthos..... the black on black looks pretty slick, and the new corazon grille will improve the front end exponentially

let us know how/if you go with the HKS premium mufflers - henry (rrussh) is going down the full HKS exhaust system route (DP, front pipe, muffs) on his black GenV sedan
[ MY10 Liberty GT Wagon ] : Powered by HKS | STi | KiDo | Cusco | Valenti | Crystal Eye | F&R Brembo BBK, cruisn style :mrgreen:

Pics | Jack Moss' awesome Prototype photography of the GT | MY10 LGT early days, and Most Recent pics
Vids | SYM Member Profile video | Our slick club.lib #bandbacktogether video plus Various other club.liberty vid compilations
SYM
-stickered-

Car: MY10 LGT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17124

Postby garthos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:06 pm

SYM wrote:nice one garthos..... the black on black looks pretty slick, and the new corazon grille will improve the front end exponentially

let us know how/if you go with the HKS premium mufflers - henry (rrussh) is going down the full HKS exhaust system route (DP, front pipe, muffs) on his black GenV sedan

Thanks Simon, yeah I'm waiting to hear back from phat about the Corazon Grille, that's a definite!! Will need to get it registered next month so will go with grey on black plates as well which should look pretty sweet.

Thanks for the info about Henry, I might get in contact with Henry as it seems we have some common interests!! :) :)
garthos
-stickered-

Postby cruisn » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:36 am

Will look very nice with the height drop.

One thing that really stood out to me is the rear chrome strip on the tailgate. Plans to wrap or paint black?
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby dubbwah » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:42 am

Car looks Great Garthos , I'm looking at upgrading to 19's soonish.
MY10 Liberty GT Wagon
dubbwah

Car: MY10 - Liberty GT Wagon

Postby Boostaddict » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:05 am

Nice work

Those rims actually look really good with the black on black theme. But def needs to go a foot lower!! Hahaha
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby garthos » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:49 am

cruisn wrote:Will look very nice with the height drop.

One thing that really stood out to me is the rear chrome strip on the tailgate. Plans to wrap or paint black?

I totally agree, would like to wrap the chrome strip but I believe its pretty $$$ from carbon demon. I'll need to find out more info about it, but yeah I'd really like to turn down the volume on the Chrome - looks greats on Genos.

dubbwah wrote:Car looks Great Garthos , I'm looking at upgrading to 19's soonish.

Thanks dubbwah, are you lowering at the same time? I got caught out with the wheel arch gap when I put the 19"s on. What looked good on the Gen4 didnt look as good on the Gen5 due to the extra space. I dont really want to increase the profile of my tyres, so I need to drop it ASAP so it looks half decent. I like what you did with your calipers - PM sent!!!

Boostaddict wrote:Nice work

Those rims actually look really good with the black on black theme. But def needs to go a foot lower!! Hahaha

Agreed!! :D
garthos
-stickered-

Postby rooby » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:21 am

+! for blackening the rear. Also the side window surrounds. If it were me I would go black over carbon, but I'm just not a carbon fan.

If you have the cash for coilovers I would recommend them over springs if your aim is your ideal ride height. That way you can get it exactly the height you want.

If you are getting a new exhaust I would consider a bigger top mount and a tune. Insight Motorsports is Phat's tuner of choice and I have not heard any complaints about him (he tuned my car and I've had no issues).

Also uprated rear sway bar is a good handling enhancement.

Brakes are another good upgrade. Varies a lot in price depending on whether your preference is breaking performance or looks or both.
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby garthos » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:58 pm

rooby wrote:+! for blackening the rear. Also the side window surrounds. If it were me I would go black over carbon, but I'm just not a carbon fan.

If you have the cash for coilovers I would recommend them over springs if your aim is your ideal ride height. That way you can get it exactly the height you want.

If you are getting a new exhaust I would consider a bigger top mount and a tune. Insight Motorsports is Phat's tuner of choice and I have not heard any complaints about him (he tuned my car and I've had no issues).

Also uprated rear sway bar is a good handling enhancement.

Brakes are another good upgrade. Varies a lot in price depending on whether your preference is breaking performance or looks or both.

Cheers Reuben,

No plans to use carbon wrap, it would definitely be matte black wrapped (Carbon Demon supply both Carbon and Matte vinyl wrap)

Phat mentioned insight as his tuner of choice and I've asked him to arrange for a tune at the same time as exhaust is fitted.

Thanks for the recommendation on the sway bar, I'm hearing that from alot of people, so I'll try to include that in the next round of upgrades.
garthos
-stickered-

Postby seanmau5 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Generally not a fan of 5 spoke wheels but those look :good: every bloke loves a nice gap ;) just not on the car, drop that shit!!
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby Corsair » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Congratulations on the new car! Like the wheels. :D

The back and sides of the Gen V have grown on me. It's just the front...

After the springs/coil overs get some kind of eyelid (if possible) to obscure the top 3rd of the lights.
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Postby garthos » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks mate.

Actually I was the opposite - I really liked the front end, but was partial to the rest of the body/rear.

Needless to say it grew on me pretty quickly - looking forward to the exhaust and springs going on in the next few weeks. Following that will be BOV, corazon grille, corazon or cyber R scoop + a few other bits n pieces.

Really like the rear diffuser on the Wagons, and considering one of these also - but i think it will need a new rear bar. (if it means I can have my quad tips I may consider :D )

garthos
-stickered-

Postby garthos » Sat May 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Some updated photos since seeing phat last weekend.

New mods: Geno's TEIN Springs, HKS ES Premium Catback Exhaust and new plates.

On the list for my next visit to Garage 88 : Corazon front grille, Corazon bonnet scoop and GReddy type RZ BOV
garthos
-stickered-

Next

Return to Post your mods