mynameisdaniel's Gen 2 97 Subaru Liberty Heritage

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

mynameisdaniel's Gen 2 97 Subaru Liberty Heritage

Postby mynameisdaniel » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:33 pm

So as some of you know I'm a bit anal about the STi so there's no chance I'm leaving it in a car park outside all day every day while I'm at work or uni. Instead I buy cheap runabouts to use, fix them up and sell them, making enough to pay for running costs and some new car parts :)

The latest one is an automatic 97 Liberty Heritage, which has a lot of room for improvement. Mechanically it's pretty good, although highish km. Interior is in great condition, just looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a while. The paintwork however needs a lot of attention... Both bumpers will be repainted, possibly the bonnet depending on how nicely I can get it to come up, and the rest of the paint is covered in light scratches and swirl marks...

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions about it so figured I'll post them all here. I'll also put up lots of photos of how she's progressing.

Here's a few of what I'm starting with.

mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Re: mynameisdaniel's Gen 2 97 Subaru Liberty Heritage

Postby mynameisdaniel » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:33 pm

And this is what I've done so far.

Engine bay detailed, a few minor things fixed up while I was at it.

Also gave it a good going over with a clay bar. Huge improvement, low light iPhone photo fail.

mynameisdaniel

Postby zch91 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Nice work. It's amazing how much a relatively simple clean can improve the overall look of a car, and presumably resale value.

:)
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby jakey » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:59 pm

engine bay is shmick mate nice
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby cruisn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:56 am

Would of been better if it was a wagon. :P

Love your work though. Holler if you have a question. Theres nothing I havent pulled off on one of these. :D
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby Dropz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 am

Good work so far :) want any help let me know. Also parts, I got a spare momo steering wheel if you're interested ;) and brake pads!
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby mynameisdaniel » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks guys :) A wagon would've been nice, but as long as the rear seats fold down it'll do the job.

Get to have some fun rewiring this car... Someone replaced the keyless entry with an aftermarket one which no longer works. So going to have to return it to stock and possibly fit another aftermarket one.

May need the brake pads Karl! I'll have a better look when I take the wheels off to clean the wheel wells :)
mynameisdaniel

Postby sbv » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 am

Nice work Daniel! And I do like that blue.

Pretty impressive engine bay clean-up! Out of interest, where do you get panelwork done?

Also yell out if you are after any bits and pieces for this. I've still got plenty of parts/panels etc left over from a rx I parted out recently - boot/spoiler may be of interest. As you know I'm just around the corner...
sbv

Car: E85 GTB Outback

Postby mynameisdaniel » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:25 pm

sbv wrote:Nice work Daniel! And I do like that blue.

Pretty impressive engine bay clean-up! Out of interest, where do you get panelwork done?

Also yell out if you are after any bits and pieces for this. I've still got plenty of parts/panels etc left over from a rx I parted out recently - boot/spoiler may be of interest. As you know I'm just around the corner...

Awesome, thanks. I'm making a list of what needs to be replaced so I'll definitely check with you to see what you've got :) Was it the same blue by any chance? And do you have much of the interior?

On my old SP20 we've had the bars repainted by 4 different places (Some so bad I paid another shop to redo it). Golden Grove Crash Repairs and Ridgehaven Crash Repairs both did a beautiful job, with the finish and colour match so I'd recommend either, although Golden Grove Crash Repairs is always rather busy (for good reason) so you need to book a few months ahead. For paintless dent removals I also know a guy who does it on the side, did an incredible job on my STi (perfect dent removals and he didn't brake or damage a single bit of interior trim), I can PM you his number if you want it.
mynameisdaniel

Postby sbv » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:50 pm

mynameisdaniel wrote:Awesome, thanks. I'm making a list of what needs to be replaced so I'll definitely check with you to see what you've got :) Was it the same blue by any chance? And do you have much of the interior?

On my old SP20 we've had the bars repainted by 4 different places (Some so bad I paid another shop to redo it). Golden Grove Crash Repairs and Ridgehaven Crash Repairs both did a beautiful job, with the finish and colour match so I'd recommend either, although Golden Grove Crash Repairs is always rather busy (for good reason) so you need to book a few months ahead. For paintless dent removals I also know a guy who does it on the side, did an incredible job on my STi (perfect dent removals and he didn't brake or damage a single bit of interior trim), I can PM you his number if you want it.

Thanks quite handy to know. Ill be needing a good paint shop shortly for the outback. Contact number for the PDR guy would be great too if possible.

Unfortunately I haven't got heaps for the interior of the gen 2. Just a dash mat and a few switches and bits and pieces I think but I'd have to have a look. Also the car was white.
sbv

Car: E85 GTB Outback

Postby Da4sti3 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Subscribed .... I like how clean the engine came up !
TEAM RED 2.5i 05 Sedan
Da4sti3

Car: 05 Liberty 2.5i 5 speed
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16154

Postby mynameisdaniel » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Full time uni + full time work hasn't left me with much time for the car. But I did polish the bonnet up a little. Here's a 50/50, it's come a long way since the first photo. I did it all by hand as I didn't want to cut any more than was absolutely necessary. Should be able to get away with just painting the front and rear bars now :)

mynameisdaniel

Postby matt96 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Don't know whether anyone's pointed this out, but I noticed it while browsing on Gumtree and thought something might be of use :D
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aldgate/ ... 1015083763
Super neat engine bay too, nice choice of car :D
matt96

Postby mynameisdaniel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:51 pm

matt96 wrote:Don't know whether anyone's pointed this out, but I noticed it while browsing on Gumtree and thought something might be of use :D
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aldgate/ ... 1015083763
Super neat engine bay too, nice choice of car :D

Thanks Matt :)

I finally found some time to spare for this car. Polished the passenger side of the car and the boot lid. The car was covered in swirls and light scratches. I have no way of telling how thick the paint is so I didn't cut too deep. Just enough to remove most the scratches. Remembering this is just my runabout so it doesn't need to be perfect. An incredible difference though, the colour looks really nice now and really deep reflections even without any wax. As always, plenty of photos.

Before and after

After

mynameisdaniel

Postby cruisn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Major improvement! :good:
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Next

Return to Post your mods