Member Profile - jay.ritchie - 3RB to Golf R

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile- jay.ritchie

Postby chubbs » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:01 pm

My mate at work has a stage 2 kit on his scirocco r, hasnt had it on long and hes already getting stage 3. Just go stage 3! The apr shit aint cheap
E85 Addict!
chubbs
formerly Illestlib

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22507

Postby jay.ritchie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:50 pm

chubbs wrote:My mate at work has a stage 2 kit on his scirocco r, hasnt had it on long and hes already getting stage 3. Just go stage 3! The apr shit aint cheap

Not going APR :wink:
They have shit feedback (customer support) and you are locked onto their products.

Not to mention, i’d prefer to spend 2k on shockworks coilovers than a turbo upgrade. stage 2+ is quiiiiick.
Last edited by jay.ritchie on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jay.ritchie

Car: MY12 VW Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21040

Postby chubbs » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Ah I see. I just remember you talking about the APR goods thought you were going with that. Yeah go the shockworks. If I didnt just buy coils 13 months ago id get some but my pedders do me good for my use haha
E85 Addict!
chubbs
formerly Illestlib

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22507

Postby jay.ritchie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:42 pm

chubbs wrote:Ah I see. I just remember you talking about the APR goods thought you were going with that. Yeah go the shockworks. If I didnt just buy coils 13 months ago id get some but my pedders do me good for my use haha

I was keen on APR till i read up in detail. Lots of people who were APR tuned have since moved to other companies because they were tired with poor customer service. Not something you really want if you’re spending 3k on tuning software alone.

Found a really good dealer called Dubaddiction with great feedback. I’ll go through them after i get my shit installed!
jay.ritchie

Postby KelvinTaylor88 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:25 am

Congrats on the new car mate, glad to see I didn't make you too late!
Also cheers for the lip, love how it looks on my car.
2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B Urban Grey Metallic
Tuned, Raptor Headers, K2 Gear Spec Neo Catback, HKS ES Premium Ti Limited Mufflers, Shockworks Coilovers, Rays 57 Pro w/ Titanium Lip, Advan AD08R, JDM Front End w/ Zerosports Front Lip, Corazon Grille, Deltaspeed Side Skirts, Custom Headlights, Stickered, and more...

WTB: Diffuser, Subaru Badge, Brembos?
KelvinTaylor88

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec-B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26710

Postby Manaz » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:43 am

jay.ritchie wrote:
chubbs wrote:Ah I see. I just remember you talking about the APR goods thought you were going with that. Yeah go the shockworks. If I didnt just buy coils 13 months ago id get some but my pedders do me good for my use haha

I was keen on APR till i read up in detail. Lots of people who were APR tuned have since moved to other companies because they were tired with poor customer service. Not something you really want if you’re spending 3k on tuning software alone.

Found a really good dealer called Dubaddiction with great feedback. I’ll go through them after i get my shit installed!

I'd suggest that there's a similar vein of discussion around APR/Harding performance in the VAG community as we see with MRT in the Subie community. They have fans, and they have detractors.

I've heard around the traps internationally (from international APR dealers, I used to import VAG kit into Australia from a variety of places in various countries) that the Australian model is considered "odd" - there's only one APR distributor/importer in Australia, and they control things pretty tightly. That said, the gear and tunes are good once set up and settled in (they get some seriously good results for those willing to spend what's required to make reliable power), and people who have them tend to be pretty satisfied when things are working well. Like everything product, there are good and bad dealers too - some are great, some not so great. That's not unique to APR, the same can be said for most of the tuning companies that work with VAG vehicles. I'd rather have a good dealer with an average product than a good product and an average dealer. :)

Tim @ Dubaddiction is incredibly well respected within the Australian VAG community, you won't do badly with him.

I used to do quite a bit of importing of stuff from ECSTuning - I may still get a small discount with them if you need stuff.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby jay.ritchie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Manaz wrote:
I'd suggest that there's a similar vein of discussion around APR/Harding performance in the VAG community as we see with MRT in the Subie community. They have fans, and they have detractors.

I've heard around the traps internationally (from international APR dealers, I used to import VAG kit into Australia from a variety of places in various countries) that the Australian model is considered "odd" - there's only one APR distributor/importer in Australia, and they control things pretty tightly. That said, the gear and tunes are good once set up and settled in (they get some seriously good results for those willing to spend what's required to make reliable power), and people who have them tend to be pretty satisfied when things are working well. Like everything product, there are good and bad dealers too - some are great, some not so great. That's not unique to APR, the same can be said for most of the tuning companies that work with VAG vehicles. I'd rather have a good dealer with an average product than a good product and an average dealer. :)

Tim @ Dubaddiction is incredibly well respected within the Australian VAG community, you won't do badly with him.

I used to do quite a bit of importing of stuff from ECSTuning - I may still get a small discount with them if you need stuff.

Spot on Robert, sounds exactly like the feedback i received when posting on vagtuning. I also agree with the average product - good dealer point, and Tim at Dubaddiction seems like he can do no wrong!

Picking up the car tonight.. so crazily excited.
jay.ritchie

Postby jay.ritchie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:59 pm

here it is!
Attachments
DSC_0445 copy1.jpg
DSC_0445 copy1.jpg (195.75 KiB) Viewed 3620 times
jay.ritchie

Postby seanmau5 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Euro ftw! Fingers crossed it's just as easy to find Passat stuff as it is to find Golf.. Haven't had time for much of a look lately though.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby jay.ritchie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:04 am

seanmau5 wrote:Euro ftw! Fingers crossed it's just as easy to find Passat stuff as it is to find Golf.. Haven't had time for much of a look lately though.

What are your plans?
jay.ritchie

Postby seanmau5 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Not a massive amount. I've grown up............ A bit ;)

I'm doing the Bluetooth on the weekend, upgrading from the basic 9w2 module to the premium 9w7. Exhaust; I've actually decided to go custom stainless steel as the Supersprint gear is as near makes no difference 10k plus installation.
Refurb the wheels as there is a bit of rash or if I find a set of 19" Luganos I'll go with them.
I'd like to lower it coz it's currently in Gen 5 territory but I've read that it can play silly buggers with the adaptive suspension.
Needs new rotors and pads which are being installed tomorrow if my mechanic can squeeze me in.

Where did you get the dsg extension paddles from?
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby jay.ritchie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:46 pm

seanmau5 wrote:Not a massive amount. I've grown up............ A bit ;)

I'm doing the Bluetooth on the weekend, upgrading from the basic 9w2 module to the premium 9w7. Exhaust; I've actually decided to go custom stainless steel as the Supersprint gear is as near makes no difference 10k plus installation.
Refurb the wheels as there is a bit of rash or if I find a set of 19" Luganos I'll go with them.
I'd like to lower it coz it's currently in Gen 5 territory but I've read that it can play silly buggers with the adaptive suspension.
Needs new rotors and pads which are being installed tomorrow if my mechanic can squeeze me in.

Where did you get the dsg extension paddles from?

sounds good! yeah i wouldn’t want to touch the adaptive suspension, i’d suggest KW coilovers which still have the adaptive suspension function.

you can buy the paddles from boldsport.com for $60 , or a copy off ebay for $30
jay.ritchie

Postby jay.ritchie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Haven’t been on the old club lib for a while! Had do come and check up on everything so i’m kept in the loop!

Maybe a little update with the golf...
Tuned to stage 1 ten days after ownership inc DSG..
Picked up a Milltek 3” non-res downpipe and an APR high pressure fuel pump for literally $0... did very well.
Exhaust fabbed up at Revzone inc a surprise centre resonator delete... thanks Owen.
Also had a Forge DV installed to prevent future boost issues and more Stutututu.

Retuned to stage 2+ (Driver Motorsport Tune which the lead calibrator funnily enough left APR and started his own company).
Stage 2+ is basically as far as you can push the stock K04 turbo... Currently running 24psi and tapering off to 22psi. DSG is also tuned to stage 2+ which is seriously quick and punches you in the face when you change gear. Waiting on a Forge Twintake from the UK which will hopefully be at Revzone later this week, the car is struggling for top end power and needs some more sucking power!

The car drives like an absolute weapon. estimated power is 200awkw (with an aftermarket intake) and 1/4 is mid to low 12’s @110ish. Something i can’t wait to due once i fit the new intake! Launch control spits you off the lights at 5000rpm, and is literally neck breaking.

Cosmetically i’ve jazzed up the interior with some carbon trim pieces... Black badges for the exterior, a front lip and a SRStec roof spoiler! Car looks very tidy, a couple of inches of more low would be ideal. I’ll run Shockworks coils in the future, i just have to man up and accept that i’m going to lose adaptive dampening.

Overall a joy to drive. If you leave it in auto it feels completely stock. the gearbox is smooth and effortless, and the suspension is comfortable. Chuck it into manual and stiffen up the suspension with ACC and the car instantly turns into a go kart, huge amounts of power and quick spooling boost.. the combination of spool, turbo whine, a raspy exhaust and a bloody loud dsg fart is just to die for.
Attachments
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender-2.jpg (236.07 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
DSC_0088.JPG
DSC_0088.JPG (93.14 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
jay.ritchie

Postby Kody.B » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Whoa :O

I am not a VW fan but you're doing an incredible job at changing that.

The exterior colour looks amazing, and it sounds like the mods have made it the perfect mixture of daily driver and toy :D
| 2004 Safety Pack 2.5i 5MT|
|2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Club Spec 9|
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Kody.B

Car: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18714

Postby shav » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:28 am

OMG Im in awe the kind of power you getting outta this little thing. I was considering one of these prior to the lib but it was just out of my price range. Well done bloke. This thing sounds like a weapon.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods