VIP GT-BBB

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: VIP GT-BBB

Postby crazyricochet » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:32 pm

Almost been a year, I'm sure there's lots to tell lib related or not!
crazyricochet

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30231

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Car is hibernating with a worn out clutch whilst I save up the funds for a full refresh inc refurb box n long block :)
It's all taking longer than planned but I've scored a great job in reo fab so slowly making progress.
Luckily the e30 323i Baur is running great so we're not w/p our driving fun ;)

We know James is drowning in a sea of enhanced lib goodness but how bout you Simbat, did I see you have a track car as well as the STi???
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby SIMBAT » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:38 pm

The STI is the track car haha! thats why i got it.

I was sick of putting money into cars trying to make them track ready when deep down all i wanted and needed was a STI! It just needed decent tyres and it is already set up perfectly for a reliable day at the track, I'm still in disbelief for how good the stock brake pads have been. Going flat out for 5 laps at Phillip Island and getting consistent 1:54's and still no fade!!!

I just got a Jazz the other week for running around without being paranoid of where i park, and also for my photography and videography jobs on the weekends when i have to go in the city.

I'll never forget how much you helped me with my spec B! hopefully your lib is up and running soon!
my12 VW Tiguan TDI-tuned
my16 Hyper Blue WRX STI
my16 Honda Jazz VTI
SIMBAT

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:36 pm

That's awesome! What's the photography/videography biz?
I'll be back on the vid cams for this winters Vic suburban & country footy games...

But to recap, that was my w/e job for the last 6 seasons and the lib held up well with the sloppy clutch just starting to not hold in 6th in cruise on the fwy.
Then I lent it to her ladyship with a warning and she proceeded to completely burn it out on the Westgate bridge: due in no small part to her habit of driving around one gear higher than what I'd consider normal, not where, in this instance, she needed to be, one gear lower than normal :)

Anyhow, last years job was at one of Melbounes busiest self serve wreckers: I did well and enjoyed it but there were issues, mainly not enough work due to their need to spread workers and wages thinly. I also continued my welding/fabrication studies at Baxter RTO in Nth melb, loving it and slowly progressing part time. So when an opportunity to work full time casual in fabricating concrete reinforcing cages came up via the RTO, I went with it, quickly progressing to the better money on night shift.
OK its not exactly welding 100%, however one does need to get penno on even the smallest tacks, and the workshop experience is absolutely invaluable. Whilst alot of the work is reasonably basic, they also do cutting edge techniques, have robots and more importantly work for years if not decades.
I'm fairly settled in there, just gotta start building cages solo and get signed off to use the gantry cranes and other fun things.
I'm doing heaps of stretching at home and work to avoid any potential health issues: trying to reverse a lifetime of Upper Crossed Syndrome, aka slouching, due to being tall/bad posture.
Then restart welding studies in the am before work. I'm up to flux core, then tig, then onto Cert4 to finish :)

All the while the finances were (and are) under pressure. We have a decent sized mortgage and 3 kids. The girls have both graduated high school and are studying for their bright futures at RMIT, and my son is doing his last year at high school: Box Hill Senior Secondary College Elite Basketball program (State High School Champions), Bullen Rep Metro U18 1, Bullen Youth League (occasionally), Victorian State Metro U18 team. The latter of which is a huge financial commitment, but so worth it. Living the dream alright!

So yeah the Lib can sit a while longer whilst we pay off some other commitments, and get ready to save up for others. In the meantime I'll be chipping away at the expenses for the lib: timing kit, refurb c-diff etc, so when the time comes I can get the whole lot done in one go... Its about 70% done already with the spare long block almost ready... Having that awd granturismo wagon back for our wet winters is a must :)
bigBADbenny

Postby SIMBAT » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Wow you certainly have heaps to think/worry about and thats how life goes i guess.. but at the end of the day as long as you and your family are healthy thats all that really matters!

The lib isn't a priority, focus on what you need and hopefully it will all pay off and your son makes the b-ball big time and starts raking in the pesos when he gets into the nba! Then he can pay off everything and restore the liberty that drove him to countless games and training :wink:
Last edited by SIMBAT on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
my12 VW Tiguan TDI-tuned
my16 Hyper Blue WRX STI
my16 Honda Jazz VTI
SIMBAT

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Either way, its a long road!
So whats up with the photography biz?
bigBADbenny

Postby SIMBAT » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:25 pm

sorry i forgot to include that paragraph...

I've turned my hobby into an income and started doing photography for wedding, baptisms etc. Since i use sony gear i started getting people ask me if i can film video for them as people want the DSLR look so I've also picked that up. So I'm working as a freelancer for a few companies and also taking on small one man jobs like baptisms,christenings and parties etc on my own and from word of mouth I've started getting busy with my own jobs, Still doing building with dad on the weekdays. But my main focus(pun intended) photography wise is to earn how much i spent on my gear back (which will take a fair while). without neglecting my family with our first child growing up quick. The Jazz is an awesome car for lugging around all my gear, so much room!
my12 VW Tiguan TDI-tuned
my16 Hyper Blue WRX STI
my16 Honda Jazz VTI
SIMBAT

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:56 am

That's awesome, hit me up if you'd like to try out my red rock ff kit or if u ever need a 2nd op or assistant :)
And yeah, the kids grow up so quickly: don't miss a moment!

My advice: take them to the park as much as possible with a big bag of every type of park toys, balls, bats, bikes, frisbees, kites you name it, bring it, and go nuts! And photos and vids of course. It's so special and so fleeting.
The girls gave organised sport a very decent crack (soccer, Bball, horse riding), but once my son discovered Bball (with a little encouragement), that was IT and 10yrs later here we are at the pointy end :)

Financially it's a bit of a struggle, but we've always enjoyed the exceptional quality of living that's everyone's gift here in Aus :)
bigBADbenny

Postby SIMBAT » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks man pm me your number and i keep you in mind, i lost your number when i lost my phone last year lol.

Unfortunately the follow focus rigs don't work well on sony glass as they are all focus by wire so no consistent shift rate... and i don't own any other brand glass since i started out with sony :shock:
my12 VW Tiguan TDI-tuned
my16 Hyper Blue WRX STI
my16 Honda Jazz VTI
SIMBAT

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:20 pm

Grab a cheapo Nikon F adapter and you can try all my super fast primes :)
What bodies do you have?
bigBADbenny

Postby SIMBAT » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:47 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Grab a cheapo Nikon F adapter and you can try all my super fast primes :)
What bodies do you have?

I've got an a7rii and a a6500 and a pxw-x70. a lot of the stuff i do is a lot faster pace so for weddings it would be a bit hard to use a ff setup. however if i can get into the corporate scene ff would be awesome!
my12 VW Tiguan TDI-tuned
my16 Hyper Blue WRX STI
my16 Honda Jazz VTI
SIMBAT

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:09 am

Ok since this thread is more like my service record, here goes an update!

The lib now has 270k klm!
The well overdue timing belt has been replaced, thanks to a well timed FB fs post, thanks Brett Norman in WA!
Brand new dealer bought tbkit006, alternator v belt, and rocker cover gasket set for $500.
Installed by my buddy George at RB Autotech in Richmond for $300 odd.
He’s literally done thousands of em...

I’d been away working for 6 months, when I recommissioned the lib I had noticed that sweet coolant smell for a few days. George kindly pressure tested the cooling system which checked out fine apart from the top radiator hose which was bulging near the radiator.

According to John at Little Sams, this is the beginning of the hose de-plying, which eventually leads to usually catastrophic failure. Better get onto that then :)

The power steering had started to squeal on cold starts and the issue wasn’t fixed by tightening the new alternator belt, plus I had no idea when the last fluid replacement and flush had been done. So over two half days I removed the alt and ac belts, both rad hoses, installed the very fancy (expensive) Fluidampr I’d bought on remote work nightshift money, put in a new $35? ac belt from repco, new top and lower mishimoto silicone rad hoses bought from Alan Luy via FB, thanks! $150 or 100, can’t remember lol. Then I flushed and bled the ps fluid using the Corgiwerks procedure found in a thread here. Using a around 3l of a 4l bottle of Penrite MTF. I did the ps o ring too, a few bucks from Doncaster Subaru.

The belts, I just used the FSM procedure info and manual deflection spec, around 10mm in the C area.
Or John says, if you can twist the belt 90’, it’s not too tight.

Did a few test drives around town, then yesterday a 400klm round trip to Maffra to make a footy game vid. All good!
The ps hoses are getting on so the advice from John at Little Sams garage, my usual local, is to replace all spring clips with oetiker screw clamps, as long as the hoses are sound, that will prevent air ingress around the spring clamps which somewhat crinkle the hoses.

I have an H6 power steering hose setup stached, now I’m no longer perplexed by the system and procedures, I’ll install the section which has the stock ps fluid cooler by the radiator and replace all the clamps at the same time. I’d say the spares have less than half the klm mine do to boot.

No rush for that one, but putting in one of my jdm STi quick racks would be the go lol.

Next up, the rear suspension needs attention, so I’m amassing parts for that job, slowly starting with a good subframe, diff bushes, Sti 3.54 plate diff, another set of tbSTi pillow ball rear lateral arms, the longer hub bolts for my alloy arms lol, and probably some extra bushes here and there to replace anything worn or oem relieved bushes which should be shot by now.

Plus I still have all the mods stached! Might start with the full my08 tbSTi interior and black headliner mod.
The car has been an absolute asset and is still very fit for purpose, that is, a capable and involving sport tourer.
I just love how it’s worked out for us.

Anyhow this post will be updated with pics and links so do head back for a looksee :)
bigBADbenny

Postby MadmanSean » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:45 pm

Nice work BBB, Keen to see pics :D

Definitely get the (one of many haha) quick rack in ASAP!
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Cheers!
First we “google this forum” using site search:
https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=32 ... 9zKuhJ6jWw

I’m looking for a poster I trust, in this case, our esteemed resident engineer, Peter from Corgiwerks, so that’s the second link, second post.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34296

We use my diy parts & FSM link for the pics and processes, eg:
4D0A504E-C006-4BE2-B6E1-43C60703BEF4.jpeg
4D0A504E-C006-4BE2-B6E1-43C60703BEF4.jpeg (77.72 KiB) Viewed 9087 times

Read and re read the instructions. Eventually I got my head around it. And came up with this:
65AB788A-C532-4889-9E23-291EA9954668.jpeg
65AB788A-C532-4889-9E23-291EA9954668.jpeg (153.02 KiB) Viewed 9087 times

And this during the actual flush:
99D83F6F-563D-4480-9023-2A0F057574FD.jpeg
99D83F6F-563D-4480-9023-2A0F057574FD.jpeg (122.42 KiB) Viewed 9087 times

Having done it, I’d say it’s a 5/10 difficulty job.
Beforehand, I was a bit scared lol.
But as usual, preparation and rtfm makes all the difference.

Silly me I made a few mistakes, a plastic dropsheet or three is essential.
A good funnel.
Don’t drop the new ps o ring into the hole, slip it on the snout, then put the snout in.
My pump ingested one o ring lol, was a wee bit noisy for a few minutes loool.
Don’t lose your bamboo chopstick in the engine bay, and assume that sweet smell is it burning up on the headers!
It wasn’t, just steam from the engine tray :P
bigBADbenny

WRX STi Fluidampr install

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:13 am

Ah yes, the WRX STi Fluidampr install...
The manual says to install it diametrically. Eh?

I gave it to my mechanic at the same time as the timing kit, all good but because the Fluidampr has, unlike the stock damper, a slight interference fit, plus requires the timing cover to be trimmed, he didn’t install it.

That’s because, like a few old school mechanics and machinists I know, he HATES aftermarket gear.
Oh well, I’ll diy it.
I asked John at Little Sam’s, now, he does mod and has a fully built LS something to go into his mint Holden at some stage.
It happens to have an ATI Superdamper on the crank.

He’s like yeah nah, just use the crank bolt and good quality copper anti seize to wind it on, after checking the end of the crank for burrs and using a bit of wet n dry if so. Bingo!

I needed to do the rad hoses and Ac belt, and these need to be removed to do the damper. Bingo!

Got the car on stands, drained the radiator, removed hoses, belts, put the car in 6th, used the old alt belt pinch trick on the stock damper... slipping.

Luckily my son arrived and put his foot on the brakes, and the bolt came free.

Timing cover has to be trimmed as the Fluidampr is wider at the base/centre.
Timing cover has a lip that’s protrudes too far.

Used a 10cm ruler to compare the crank mounting face to the lip, and the Fluidampr mounting face to the step on back of the damper... looks like it’s a 3mm difference, let’s trim 4.5mm.

F3E22462-DBD6-4751-AC5B-4E6099BF3C27.jpeg
F3E22462-DBD6-4751-AC5B-4E6099BF3C27.jpeg (172.83 KiB) Viewed 9060 times

How nice is this market-find edge scribe?

I marked the cover lip with a white paint pen and then scribed a 4mm line in the paint, and went at it with a dremel and sanding barrel attached. Bingo!

4F181A0C-827E-4249-8A92-C12217B06007.jpeg
4F181A0C-827E-4249-8A92-C12217B06007.jpeg (158.83 KiB) Viewed 9060 times

Dremel to the line... Tedious yet somehow satisfying...

Fluidampr went right on, used the Warren & Brown tq wrench to 130ft/lb, reversed pinch belt trick and sons foot on brakes :)

28910A55-3F5C-41F5-986E-28E8B74E936F.jpeg
28910A55-3F5C-41F5-986E-28E8B74E936F.jpeg (103.33 KiB) Viewed 9060 times

It spins!!!

E1463259-B327-4FEC-AEC1-E15BE2E63E6F.jpeg
E1463259-B327-4FEC-AEC1-E15BE2E63E6F.jpeg (103.73 KiB) Viewed 9060 times

Bleed, bleed, bleeeed and bleed again. Bled.

Buttoned it up with around 10mm manual deflection on the acc belts, bled the radiator extensively, and test drove it :)

Review of Fluidampr after driving: look I’m a realist, this product is for built engines, going that last step to ensure your built engine is happy and that you’ve done something positive as regards harmonics.

Is it required for my car? No, but at some point in the future, I do want to build a built engine, and at the time I bought it, for a very brief moment, I could afford it. The Fluidampr is very reusable and should outlive both the car and I.

As for driving... well the car does feel smoother, especially down low, but right through the rev range as well.
Its not exactly verifiable but given the chance to do it over, yes I’d definitely do it again :)
bigBADbenny

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods