Member Profile - satogixxer's GT MY10 - 369kw atw

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - satogixxer (GT MY10)

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Boostaddict wrote:With the first dyno graph, the one with the original power and the final power.

We're they both running the same gear?? It looks like 4th for the original and 3rd gear for the final power??

Once power started dropping off on the 'tuned' run, there was no point rev'ing its guts out to match road speed to previous tune ;)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby satogixxer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:40 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
Boostaddict wrote:With the first dyno graph, the one with the original power and the final power.

We're they both running the same gear?? It looks like 4th for the original and 3rd gear for the final power??

Once power started dropping off on the 'tuned' run, there was no point rev'ing its guts out to match road speed to previous tune ;)

Sounds about right.

Probably if I had the RPM graph from the 1st run, it would show the car rev to 6500+rpm (red line, or beyond where the limiter cuts in), whereas you can see the tuned graph stops at 6000rpm (before red line).
[Liberty GT MY10 6MT]: STI bits | STI Brembo's + Dixcel | DAMD D-shape | Cusco coilovers & sways | HKS LA clutch | BLITZ pod | Plazmaman FMIC | Deshele built EJ25 | Emtron ECU | BorgWarner EFR 7670 | 369kw atw
[Outback 3R MY04]: Stock as a rock
Profile video here
satogixxer

Car: '10 Liberty GT 6MT + '04 Outback 3R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20495

Postby satogixxer » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:38 pm

mongmong77 wrote:Car is looking awesome !!
Wats next ?

So next is... new plates, just ordered.

Finally made up my mind what I wanted. Hopefully the style I've chosen will look okay, will find out soon I guess!!
[Liberty GT MY10 6MT]: STI bits | STI Brembo's + Dixcel | DAMD D-shape | Cusco coilovers & sways | HKS LA clutch | BLITZ pod | Plazmaman FMIC | Deshele built EJ25 | Emtron ECU | BorgWarner EFR 7670 | 369kw atw
Profile video here
satogixxer

Postby Dougm111 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi Michael

The similarities are quite freaky! I just bought myself an MY10 GT and I also have a Gixxer 1000 (2012). We even have the same helmet (albeit superseded now) and the location shot of the bike, well, let’s just say I know it well!

Anyway, back to the car thing, I use the bike for my daily commute so the car is just a weekender but will be used for frequent trips to the snow & towing the bikes a couple of times a year down to Phillip Island, so a fair bit of freeway driving. So its important to me that I don’t have a droning exhaust. My list of mods will be nowhere near as comprehensive as yours, I’m looking to keep it as subtle and quiet as possible.

So, given you’ve done most of what I intend to do, I’d be interested in your experience and feedback now that you have lived with it for while and taking into account my intended use.

Mods I’m looking at are the following:
• HKS Dump Pipe
• Either HKS Silent Hi-Power/HKS Leagamax Premium or Fujitsubo Legalis R systems (pending advise on noise vs performance and availability)
• Crank Pulley
• Dyno Tune
• Cusco Sway Bars & Strut Brace

How have you found your exhaust setup from a noise perspective?
What’s it like cruising at highway speeds? I appreciate yours would be a bit a louder than what I’m looking at.

How did you find the tune from Insight? I’m looking for driveability rather than peak power, but it looks like you got a real flat torque curve there. Has it been a reliable tune?

Has Garage88 brought all the kit in for you or did you source it yourself? How have you found them?

Anyone else with experience in similar mods on a Gen V especially the exhaust setup I'm looking at, please feel free to chip in.

Cheers
Doug
Dougm111

Car: Liberty GT MY10

Postby satogixxer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the club - what great taste in vehicles you have! :lol:

How is the 2012 Gixxer?

I've thought about upgrading to a newer model, but I love the Sato exhaust system and tune on my K6, and the fact that it is a bit unique, so I just don't think I could ever part with it. I will probably make it a track day only bike instead when I decide on a new one.

My bike would normally be for commuting too (about half the time anyway), but I haven't been riding for a while though as unfortunately I broke my back after coming off it about 7 months ago (bike all fixed okay, me not so good). I have a new helmet now Shoei XR-1100 just like the old one really but new design so different to yours now. :wink:

As for my car, I'm very happy with the work done by Garage 88 and tuning by Insight Motorsport - I haven't had any problems everything has been great.

Your list of mods looks pretty good, and Michael at Garage 88 certainly would be able to get those in for you. I sourced most of my parts through Garage 88 and they organised the tune with Insight as well.

As for exhaust comparison noise vs performance etc. I don't really know, but Garage 88 should be able to tell you, or ask around I'm sure someone else has some first hand experience who can give more feedback on the different exhausts.

My exhaust is not exactly subtle so may not be what you are looking for. It is quite loud but not overly so in my opinion (and it doesn't drone on the highway either). The Legalis R would be quieter than mine and may be a good choice for your criteria perhaps?

Good luck with it!
Profile video here
satogixxer

Postby Dougm111 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:36 am

Thanks Michael, appreciate the feedback especially on the tune and Garage 88. Just the sort of feedback I was looking for. There seems to be a lot of hit & miss in this game, so great to get a solid opinion.

Sorry to hear about your crash, my cousin came off at the left hander just after the spot where you took that photo. I was in front and it almost took me out, but some dodgy road repairs where they just dumped a pile of small ball-bearing type gravel over a bit of sticky tar along the inside of the corner which was then washed all over the road by a couple of cars and NO WARNING SIGNS! We weren’t even fangin it, we were just cruising cause we’d just come off the back of the mountain which as you know is pretty intense. He was OK, minor damage to the bike (6month old ZX10R) but these things can happen out of nowhere.

The 2012 Gixxer is great. Only mods are Evotech fender eliminator, Evotech short levers and Akropovic Titanium slip on (which I think looks and sounds awesome if I must say so myself). I went from a 2009 Fireblade, wasn’t exactly looking for a new bike but couldn’t refuse the deal I found. Ex demo with just 45km on it for $15,800 on road. They also gave me $8k trade on the Blade which had 42k on it so no brainer. I’ve found it a bit easier to live with day to day than the blade, it’s a bit less aggressive with its power delivery and just handles so sweet! I finally started getting my knee down at the last track day I did at the island in April, so pretty happy with that. I’ve just made massive progress on this bike compared to the Blade for some reason, just a confidence thing I guess. New helmet now as well, Shoei has been resigned to spare duties.

This is a couple of kays up the road from where you took your shot.

On track (sorry, couldn't embed this one).
http://www.sdpics.com/cgi-bin/e-store/index.cgi?action=view&link=8000~Motor_Sport/8800~Bikes/500~Australian_Ride_Days_-_Schools_-_Events/09~Phillip_Island_Ride_Days/2013/99485~14_May_2013_-_Phillip_Island_Ride_Day/3~Yellow_Group_-_Medium&image=A64H0866.jpg&img=100&tt=

Anyway, looks like a crappy weekend coming up so a t trip out to the creek to visit the Garage 88 boys seems in order.

Who does your servicing? I used to use NRG years ago when I had MY06 WRX, they’re great but not sure they have much to do with Liberties, they’re more a REX shop.

Cheers
Doug
Dougm111

Postby dawesy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 am

Doug nice upgrade from the blade to the gixxer,I'm the biggest Honda fan but the blade is a mechanics nightmare lol and the akro does look hot .

Michael good to hear you're loving the results so far can't wait to see what comes next and deffs can't wait to hear yours now
dawesy

Car: my05 3.0R-B sedan

Postby satogixxer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Dougm111 wrote:Sorry to hear about your crash, my cousin came off at the left hander just after the spot where you took that photo. I was in front and it almost took me out, but some dodgy road repairs where they just dumped a pile of small ball-bearing type gravel over a bit of sticky tar along the inside of the corner which was then washed all over the road by a couple of cars and NO WARNING SIGNS!

Now THAT sounds familiar. My crash was near there too, it was a couple of k's down from Geehi heading towards Khancoban. Left hander, hit a dodgy patch of road surface while cranked over (there had been loose gravel on quite a number of bends but this one caught me out). I saved being high-sided but had to stand the bike up and went straight, and couldn't make it around the corner. So straight off the other side of the road into trees and bushes I went. Result, broken back - permanent injury - crushed T7 vertabra. I missed hitting some big trees so I guess I should be thankful. First time I've had an accident on the road in 15 years.

Honestly the councils that do road repairs don't seem to give a shit about motorbikes. You'd think on such a popular road for bikes they might take some extra care about leaving loose gravel, but no apparently not. :angry2:

Nice couple of pics there - I've always loved Gixxer's have had a few of them over the years, and found actually they do make quite a good commuter bike. I've always wanted to do a track day at the Island but haven't gotten there yet, my main track day locations has been EC/SMP and Oran Park (when it was open) - you would find me in the A/Red/Fast group. :twisted:

Dougm111 wrote:Who does your servicing? I used to use NRG years ago when I had MY06 WRX, they’re great but not sure they have much to do with Liberties, they’re more a REX shop.

To be honest I've still been getting my car serviced at Subaru Narellan where I bought it. Mainly due to convenience, but they seem to do an alright job as well.

Good luck at Garage 88, I'm sure Michael can help with your needs!
Profile video here
satogixxer

Postby satogixxer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 pm

dawesy wrote:Michael good to hear you're loving the results so far can't wait to see what comes next and deffs can't wait to hear yours now

Thanks Chris - I'm sure we'll catch up again on a meet sometime!
Profile video here
satogixxer

Postby Dougm111 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:52 pm

Yeah, I think lesson learnt with that road. We had exactly the same sentiments as you've just listed, especially as THEY KNOW its a popular road for motorcyclists. We took photos of the gravel and the lead up to the corner to prove there was no signage. When he spoke to the insurance company about pursuing the council/national parks, they said don't even bother. They processed it as a no-fault claim so he kept his no claim bonus and they said at best, you could try to get them to pay the excess. There is such a thing as "duty of care" which nobody is exempt from, but they clearly don't give a rats about it. Wait till someone looses their life over it, sound like you were VERY lucky.

I just got back from Garage 88 and as usual you walk out with a much longer list than you walked in with :roll:

Michael was great, has given me plenty of food for thought that's for sure and I was very impressed with the place. They clearly care about presentation which is refreshing to see in this business and gives you that comfort factor that you are dealing with a crew that cares. Now the painful part...how much cash do I want to part with??????? We're up around $6k mark, but I'm sure you know what that's like :lol:

I've done EC quite a few times but I just love the island, so happy to sacrifice EC for Island trips. You really need to get down there if you can, bit cold at the moment but we'll be doing a string of three days in November (I think it was 18,19 20). You do need to book early though, so just keep it mind if your keen. I'm in the Green group, my brother is in Red and does heaps of track days. He has a track bike in Sydney & PI and flies in from the Whitsundays. He is an addict, you've probably ridden out there with him a few times. In Sydney, he's was previously on a 2004 Blade with "West" livery, this is now down at PI and he has a Triumph 675 for EC which he is going to sell (as soon as they fix the engine) as he just bought a GSXR 750 for EC. Boys and their toys eh...he also has 2006 Sti Wagon. Cant help good taste! If you ever see a photo's on display on the monitor in the registration area at EC and you see a blade in West livery caught mid-way through a front end tuck, that's him! Awesome photo, although he doesn't think so :lol:

Cheers
Doug
Dougm111

Postby satogixxer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Dougm111 wrote:I just got back from Garage 88 and as usual you walk out with a much longer list than you walked in with :roll:

Michael was great, has given me plenty of food for thought that's for sure and I was very impressed with the place. They clearly care about presentation which is refreshing to see in this business and gives you that comfort factor that you are dealing with a crew that cares. Now the painful part...how much cash do I want to part with??????? We're up around $6k mark, but I'm sure you know what that's like :lol:

Sounds awesome, good luck. Yeah I know the feeling, my bill was about double that! :lol: (And has been worth every cent)
Profile video here
satogixxer

Postby satogixxer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:45 pm

So I decided this weekend I would attempt to do the nav hack. I've always found it annoying how some functions on the nav unit are disabled while you are driving (even with a passenger) - so it was time to fix this! 8)

I thought I would post up some pics of the process, but pretty much I followed the instructions that can already be found elsewhere.

I was a little bit nervous trying this myself - I always worry that I'll damage/break something, but it all worked out fine in the end (although I had one seemingly serious problem along the way). :roll:

Tools / parts used
Trim removal tools (can be found cheap on eBay)
Long & short philips head screwdrivers (magnetised)
Tape and towels to protect dash & climate control unit
CD-ROM audio cable
Wire cutters / strippers
Black Diamond LED headlamp

Before starting I checked the vehicle signal info screen, which showed Parking OFF.

Next I applied some tape to protect the dash and started to pull the trim surround off. The trim removal tools make this a lot easier, I wouldn't attempt it without them. Got it off without damaging anything thankfully.
Below is the dash with bezel removed.

Some more tape applied over the climate control unit, and towels to sit the nav unit on once pulled out.

Unscrewed the nav unit and pulled it out. It doesn't come out very far due to the wiring harness connections which makes things difficult.

Acquired target at the back of the nav unit - green plug with empty terminal between the green & brown/yellow wire.

Prepared the wire used for the ground, which is just a CD-ROM audio cable with plug removed at one end and stripped at the other.

Inserted the metal clip end of the wire into the green connector between the green & brown/yellow wires.

Next, the instructions said to connect the stripped end of the wire to the back of the unit where another ground wire is already screwed in, but it was too hard to get at. I guessed it shouldn't matter really where to connect it since the entire metal housing is grounded anyway.

So just routed the ground wire and screwed it in somewhere convenient. I wrapped it around the outside of the bracket, which seemed like a good idea since the wire won't move around once everything was put back in place.

Finally I pushed the unit part way back in and turned on the ignition. Checking the vehicle signal info screen again, it now showed Parking ON - hack successful! :biggrin:

A few seconds after getting to this point though, everything went dead! WTF!? :shock:

I tried turning the ignition off and on again, but the nav unit wouldn't switch on and was making a clicking noise and the lights on the dash seemed dim. I removed the ground wire and retested with the same result. Then I tried to start the car and it wouldn't start.

Oh no, was thinking the worst initially - then I realised I'd probably just run the battery flat.I had turned the ignition on a few times and played with the nav unit, I had also loaded a new Whereis map disc earlier in the day, and I had my interior lights on while I was working. Either my battery is on the way out, or it's much easier than I thought to flatten the battery! :roll:

So, thank god for the trusty CTEK battery charger, I had a break for a few hours. ;)

Once my battery was back to full, I screwed the nav unit back in place and put the trim surround back on. All back to normal, checked the vehicle signal info again to make sure Parking was ON. All good.

Took the car for a drive and tested everything - works sweet. Nothing is locked out while driving now, so while audio is playing I can access list mode and change albums (my main reason for doing this), I can view the GPS signal screen (i.e. show actual vehicle speed), and watch DVD's! Awesome! Wish I'd done this earlier. :lol:
Last edited by satogixxer on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Profile video here
satogixxer

Postby Gen5is » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:31 am

Nice write up! Im sure all the Gen 5 owners with sat nav will appreciate for taking your time to write up and take photos.

and keep the mods coming 8)
Gen5is

Car: MY12 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22586

Postby satogixxer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Finally got my new plates the other week... car has been filthy though so waited until the weekend when I washed it to take some new pics.

I think the new style suits it well hopefully! Was going for something that matches nicely with the wheels and general style of black + gunmetal + chrome - I think the silver text on black works?

As for the choice in letters/numbers - well these are my geek/gamer number plates. Yes I'm a geek :wink: I work in IT and am an occasional gamer, so I thought these were appropriate for me. I liked the idea most people won't get it (i.e. they look like standard plates), but like minded geeks/gamers probably will, and hopefully have a bit of a chuckle.

For those non-geeks/gamers - AFK = away from keyboard, 88L = be back later. True while I'm driving!! :lol:

Last edited by satogixxer on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Profile video here
satogixxer

Re: satogixxer's GT MY10 now with track day modded brakes!

Postby satogixxer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:49 pm

So, having attended the Wakefield Park track day on Monday, it seems my brakes have been "modded" by extreme heat! :lol:

Firstly looks my pads melted. Hawk Ceramic for track use is an absolute no no - they're shite.

And my calipers have gone from stock silver to a nice scorched gold colour - bonus! :mrgreen:

The DBA 4000 T3 rotors appear to have held up great to the abuse at least. And my brakes are still working fine (in fact better than before, must have finally bedded in properly) and pads still have plenty of pad material left.

But, I think it's time for Brembo's and Dixcel Z's. :D

Here's an instructional video on how to melt your brakes and re-colour your calipers. :lol:

Last edited by satogixxer on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Profile video here
satogixxer

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods