Member Profile - Shav *07 Liberty GT Premium*

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Shav

Postby shav » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:34 am

alessandro132 wrote:None of those will fit. I think a post facelift 2.5i lip should fit.

don't quote me on it

Thanks al. I think the ultrex ones fit.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby shav » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Looking to get F&R sways. Looking for fixed units. Not worried about the adj versions as the car wont see a track but Im wanting improved handling in & out of corners.

Are these the models I need to go for? Will I notice a difference over stock?
FRONT - 22mm HEAVY DUTY
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_det ... mber=BSF30

REAR - 20mm HEAVY DUTY
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_det ... mber=BSR39

Currently at speed I can feel the rear end wanting to slide out when turning so I want to control that, but I also want to improve turn in. Currently get some understeer at speed entering a corner. Is that due to my tire quality or can the sways improve this? Am thinking of getting some adjustments to the wheel alignment done to help turn in and hopefully control a bit more of the understeer. Possibly add some neg camber (-0.5deg) to front wheels and perhaps 1-2mm max toe in. I know this will add additional wear to the tires, but feathering of the tire corners I can live with. Just looking for a short term improvement at this point in time.

thoughts?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Member Profile - Shav

Postby agan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Whiteline definitely. Speak to Taylor Renshaw :)
MY08 GT Spec.B Diamond Grey Sedan
agan

Car: MY08 GT Spec.B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18369

Postby alessandro132 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:54 pm

If you want to keep understeer at bay, then I'd be leaving the front sway bar stock and getting an uprated rear bar. This way you'll promote a bit more oversteer (which I always prefer to understeer) at the limit. You can then allocate the unspent front bar coin towards uprated mounts to go with it (stock mounts are weak as piss).

I see you're still running stock bushes. Definitely upgrade these to either the J Speed or Whiteline ALK (I prefer the J Speed as they come with the castor-adjustable shims). This will improve front turn in quite substantially. Adding some negative camber and a tiiiiiiny bit of toe out will help too (0.5mm ought to do it methinks).
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
alessandro132
-stickered-

Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Postby shav » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:55 pm

alessandro132 wrote:If you want to keep understeer at bay, then I'd be leaving the front sway bar stock and getting an uprated rear bar. This way you'll promote a bit more oversteer (which I always prefer to understeer) at the limit. You can then allocate the unspent front bar coin towards uprated mounts to go with it (stock mounts are weak as piss).

I see you're still running stock bushes. Definitely upgrade these to either the J Speed or Whiteline ALK (I prefer the J Speed as they come with the castor-adjustable shims). This will improve front turn in quite substantially. Adding some negative camber and a tiiiiiiny bit of toe out will help too (0.5mm ought to do it methinks).

Excuse my severe ignorance but:

When you say 'uprated mount', do you mean the front or rear ones or both?

Also with the bushes do you also mean F&R? Do you have a part number for J speed units?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby alessandro132 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Rear :) the stiffer bar will put more stress on the factory mount (very thin piece of steel as it is! :shock: ) so an upgraded mount (either Cusco or AVO) should do you nicely. I've got the AVO which has the extra subframe brace for additional stability over the Cusco item :mrgreen:

Images stolen from here! :P

Also the J Speeds are for the rear bushes - no idea of the part number but just order them from G88 and you'll be sorted!

Looks like this:

TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

alessandro132
-stickered-

Postby shav » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:01 am

Hmm well I don't want a mount to break so ensuring that was upgraded might not be a bad idea. Will mean only doing the rear and the mount will be all I can do for now. I've only got $450 to play with so I want the best bang for buck but with reliability in mind. That cash has to include the labor too.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby shav » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:11 am

I'm kind of torn between doing the sways or spending the cash on doing a few things I've wanted to fix on the car like the rear tint, and dynamat the rear parcel shelf with an upgraded sub. To some degree I want to do the sways but both front and rear with all the mounts and bushes upgraded not just a bit here and a bit there. Id rather hit it all at once is what Im saying. Does that sound logical?

Then down the track I'll look at the tmic & tbe with retune all at once too. I e only got a set amount for how until I get my mid year bonus so its kind of pointless doin a bit here and there and not feeling the full benefit of what the suspension would feel like at its best.

Thoughts?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby alessandro132 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:38 am

Shav I reckon you're better off doing the suspension mods incrementally (better for the wallet plus more likelihood of noticing improvements over whacking it all in at once).

If you do the rears you'll notice a difference. Then save up more cash and do the LCAs. Then note the differences and if you're still unhappy with the roll, then upgrade the fronts.

I just think doing F/R sways with factory LCA bushes and standard mounts won't be appreciated as much. My 2c :mrgreen:
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

alessandro132
-stickered-

Postby shav » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 am

alessandro132 wrote:Shav I reckon you're better off doing the suspension mods incrementally (better for the wallet plus more likelihood of noticing improvements over whacking it all in at once).

If you do the rears you'll notice a difference. Then save up more cash and do the LCAs. Then note the differences and if you're still unhappy with the roll, then upgrade the fronts.

I just think doing F/R sways with factory LCA bushes and standard mounts won't be appreciated as much. My 2c :mrgreen:

Thanks Al. I should have made myself clearer. If I went the F&R sways I would also do the mounts, LCA's, bushes, the works all at once rather than just half here, half there. I know what you mean by feeling the changes incrementally. That is true. I probably wouldn't appreciate the improvements enough if it was done all at once. But I dunno, I'm of the opinion, if you're gonna do it, do it in one hit and be done with it. It might sound stupid but does that make sense?

So hypothetically speaking, if I was to do the rear sway only, I would get the sway ($200), new rear mounts (be it Cusco or AVO for $140), and new J speed bushes (not sure on price)? Does any of the bushes need to be pressed in?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby alessandro132 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:23 am

shav wrote:Thanks Al. I should have made myself clearer. If I went the F&R sways I would also do the mounts, LCA's, bushes, the works all at once rather than just half here, half there. I know what you mean by feeling the changes incrementally. That is true. I probably wouldn't appreciate the improvements enough if it was done all at once. But I dunno, I'm of the opinion, if you're gonna do it, do it in one hit and be done with it. It might sound stupid but does that make sense?

So hypothetically speaking, if I was to do the rear sway only, I would get the sway ($200), new rear mounts (be it Cusco or AVO for $140), and new J speed bushes (not sure on price)? Does any of the bushes need to be pressed in?

Ahhh, gotcha, yeah that definitely makes more sense!

If you were to do the rear bar + HD mount + LCA bushes, the bushes are $240 from G88 plus should be around $30 labour to take out the control arm, remove the old bushes and then press in the new ones then bolt back up. Add a wheel alignment for another $30 and you'll be home and hosed (also can request more -ve camber and a bit more +ve toe :mrgreen: )
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

alessandro132
-stickered-

Postby shav » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 am

alessandro132 wrote:
shav wrote:Thanks Al. I should have made myself clearer. If I went the F&R sways I would also do the mounts, LCA's, bushes, the works all at once rather than just half here, half there. I know what you mean by feeling the changes incrementally. That is true. I probably wouldn't appreciate the improvements enough if it was done all at once. But I dunno, I'm of the opinion, if you're gonna do it, do it in one hit and be done with it. It might sound stupid but does that make sense?

Ahhh, gotcha, yeah that definitely makes more sense!

If you were to do the rear bar + HD mount + LCA bushes, the bushes are $240 from G88 plus should be around $30 labour to take out the control arm, remove the old bushes and then press in the new ones then bolt back up. Add a wheel alignment for another $30 and you'll be home and hosed (also can request more -ve camber and a bit more +ve toe :mrgreen: )

Thanks mate. That does sound good. Knowing the price of the LCA's thats just gonna push my immediate budget over. $200 + $140 + $240 + labour = too much for now. I have a $450 budget to spend at this point in time. To do the suspension justice, I'd like to do both F&R sways, all mounts and bushes done all at one time sometime in the middle of this year. I'd say I would need to budget a min of 1k for that. Bear in mind, I have no intention of lowering the car or changing the vehicle ride quality. If anything, waaaay down the track I'd upgrade the shocks to Koni Adjustables or something.

Can you see my dilemma at the moment? It sucks, but that is all I have to deal with at this point till mid year bonus. :cry:
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby alessandro132 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:48 am

There are a variety of LCA bushes as understandably $240 for the J Speeds will push you over budget :(

I've heard good things about the Fulcrum LCA bushes (aka SuperPro bushes) - looks like you can get 'em for $158 from Brakes Direct (link here)

This is the description from the website: SuperPro SPF2801K LCA rear bushings

Could be a game-changer!
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

alessandro132
-stickered-

Postby dawesy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 am

Can't help with the budiet but can offer my experience .had j speed bushes fitted at g88 was just over 300 buks then next day fitted whiteline sways and eibach springs and had a wheel alignment done and the difference is like day and night even with the front sway still is more rear happy but feels super confident in the front where it never did before.
Rides a bit firmer but not harsh ( I drive Sydney's shitest rd daily )
Deffs worth doing the mods when you have the cash
dawesy

Car: my05 3.0R-B sedan

Postby shav » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:25 am

alessandro132 wrote:There are a variety of LCA bushes as understandably $240 for the J Speeds will push you over budget :(

I've heard good things about the Fulcrum LCA bushes (aka SuperPro bushes) - looks like you can get 'em for $158 from Brakes Direct (link here)

This is the description from the website: SuperPro SPF2801K LCA rear bushings

Could be a game-changer!

Very true. Taylor also suggested the White line versions too as opposed to the J Speed ones, possibly at a cheaper rate. If I can get the price of the LCA bushes down, then I could push the budget a little with the mrs to get it done. It's been something I've wanted to do for ages (reduce the understeer). I love to drive this car, but in stock form it gets me nervous pushing it into a corner if I know it wont turn like I want it too. Coming from an AU falcon which had WL F&R sways, Eibach springs and BOGE shocks and a host of Superpro bushes, I am used to precise handling as it was setup really well for hills driving. Don't get me wrong, the stock Subaru suspension is good, just not that good if you know what I mean and I'd like to feel the handling I was once used to again.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods