Member Profile - Shav *07 Liberty GT Premium*

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Shav

Postby peadya100 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:42 pm

Don't bother changing tyres. It makes almost no difference to wall height. The 40 or 45 number is relative to the width. So the tyre that came with spec b's was a 215/45/18. The sti enkeis have a 225/40/18. But the rolling diameter is within a few mm of each other. Given that you have spec b wheels shav you should probably have had 215/45/18 all along anyway.
Try setting your Sway bars to the softest setting before getting rid of the springs.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby shav » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:02 pm

peadya100 wrote:Don't bother changing tyres. It makes almost no difference to wall height. The 40 or 45 number is relative to the width. So the tyre that came with spec b's was a 215/45/18. The sti enkeis have a 225/40/18. But the rolling diameter is within a few mm of each other. Given that you have spec b wheels shav you should probably have had 215/45/18 all along anyway.
Try setting your Sway bars to the softest setting before getting rid of the springs.

Thanks Adam, I currently have the sways set to soft now already. :(
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby BigBCalais » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:05 pm

Also keen to know how it goes with engineering because I would like to ultimately do that as well when I get coilovers, maybe we could go at the same time might get a better price for doing the same thing together :)
dr20t wrote:Simple rule. If you act like a dick then you deserved to get dicked

06 Blitzen 6mt
'Lightly' modified: Eyelids, HIDs, Outback bonnet, 2 1/4" Exhaust with HiTech mufflers, Lip spoiler, E̶n̶k̶e̶i̶ ̶T̶6̶s̶ ̶1̶8̶x̶8̶.̶5̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶e̶l̶s̶, Rays 57Valkyrie 18x8.5, Sti Pink Springs, Kido tune, Brembos
BigBCalais

Car: Black 06 Blitzen 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26522

Postby shav » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:52 pm

BigBCalais wrote:Also keen to know how it goes with engineering because I would like to ultimately do that as well when I get coilovers, maybe we could go at the same time might get a better price for doing the same thing together :)

I'm all for that. Sounds good. Won't be for quite a while though.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby tigger73 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:58 pm

shav wrote:Im in a bit of a quandary. It mainly has to do with the suspension setup of the car.

Ultimately, I want to still maintain as much handling as possible, but want to improve the comfort more. But at the same time, I don't want to fork out mega bikkies. Im in a catch 22.

Any constructive advice is appreciated.

I'd suggest getting some progressive rate springs like a set of Eibach/Rallitek or similar. They are soft to start which rides over the small bumps (to keep your wife happy) and firm up when you push it (for handling/cornering).

You would have to check what is available for your car. I know there's nothing out for mine yet :(
tigger73

Car: 2016 Scirocco R

Postby shav » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:27 pm

tigger73 wrote:
shav wrote:Im in a bit of a quandary. It mainly has to do with the suspension setup of the car.

Ultimately, I want to still maintain as much handling as possible, but want to improve the comfort more. But at the same time, I don't want to fork out mega bikkies. Im in a catch 22.

Any constructive advice is appreciated.

I'd suggest getting some progressive rate springs like a set of Eibach/Rallitek or similar. They are soft to start which rides over the small bumps (to keep your wife happy) and firm up when you push it (for handling/cornering).

You would have to check what is available for your car. I know there's nothing out for mine yet :(

I've tried to get Eibach's. Had them on my ford and it transformed the car. But they dont make them for Gen 4 anymore. It was my first port of call. Never heard of Rallitek. But yes Proper progressive rate spring is the key.

Im thinking of contacting Aurora Springs here in S.A. (formerly known as industrial springs) who make springs to suit any height you want. http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/aurora.htm Just got to see if they will do them for my year of make.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby tigger73 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:48 pm

I had Eibachs in my last car and would certainly recommend/use again.

Bummer that they are discontinued for the gen4.

I think they're the best compromise between around town comfort and performance with a nice drop in ride height.
tigger73

Car: 2016 Scirocco R

Postby shav » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:57 pm

tigger73 wrote:I had Eibachs in my last car and would certainly recommend/use again.

Bummer that they are discontinued for the gen4.

I think they're the best compromise between around town comfort and performance with a nice drop in ride height.

Agree. They were perfect for my Ford.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Sat May 09, 2015 7:51 pm

I hear good things about the Swift springs out of the US. $299 US plus shipping. Still a bit rich for my budget so just just getting the fronts on my stock springs compressed by 20mm to match the height of the saggy rears. Then going to get the Cusco rear sway bar plus matching links. Around $600 all up.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby shav » Sun May 10, 2015 11:16 am

McDoof wrote:I hear good things about the Swift springs out of the US. $299 US plus shipping. Still a bit rich for my budget so just just getting the fronts on my stock springs compressed by 20mm to match the height of the saggy rears. Then going to get the Cusco rear sway bar plus matching links. Around $600 all up.

That's good value Nikolai. Again, Im keen to see what you think of the compressed stock springs post fitment. If this works I am thinking of doing the same to regain some more comfort.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Sun May 10, 2015 7:09 pm

Hey Shav. Have you got the DBA rotors and intima pads front and rear? What are your thoughts. I'm currently running the same setup you had before. Stock rotors and Stoptech pads. So dusty. So dusty.
McDoof

Postby shav » Mon May 11, 2015 9:44 am

McDoof wrote:Hey Shav. Have you got the DBA rotors and intima pads front and rear? What are your thoughts. I'm currently running the same setup you had before. Stock rotors and Stoptech pads. So dusty. So dusty.

Yeah I wasnt a fan of the Stoptech's to be honest. I really like the T2/Intima combination. Perfect for the street. Lower dust than the stop techs, no squeal. Brakes very well. Although if you are into really spirited runs in the twisty roads, be aware, once they reach their heat threshold, brake fade sinks in quick and you have nothing left. Only rated to 400deg or there abouts. I took them to that limit a few months back so know what it feels like.

The SR pads are rated to 650deg I think and will be better suited to hard hard braking in the twisty roads at the sacrifice of dust though. But bite very well I have heard and will handle hills runs without issue. Horses for courses really. If predominantly you just want a real bitey very good street pad with zero intention of pushing super hard in the hills very often, then the SS pad is great. I still can push in the hills but not on the limit.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Mon May 11, 2015 9:59 am

Yeah I wasnt a fan of the Stoptech's to be honest. I really like the T2/Intima combination. Perfect for the street. Lower dust than the stop techs, no squeal. Brakes very well. Although if you are into really spirited runs in the twisty roads, be aware, once they reach their heat threshold, brake fade sinks in quick and you have nothing left. Only rated to 400deg or there abouts. I took them to that limit a few months back so know what it feels like.

The SR pads are rated to 650deg I think and will be better suited to hard hard braking in the twisty roads at the sacrifice of dust though. But bite very well I have heard and will handle hills runs without issue. Horses for courses really. If predominantly you just want a real bitey very good street pad with zero intention of pushing super hard in the hills very often, then the SS pad is great. I still can push in the hills but not on the limit.

Yea, I generally don't get my brakes that hot, but I have had the car on the track. That is one time when brake fade is not an option. The stoptech's performed brilliantly. Chewed up my rotors, but never let go. Got so hot that the rotors were actually smoking when I pitted.
I just find that they leave a residue on the rotors so it always feels like my rotors are not even. Takes a bit of hard braking to clean them up an smooth out the braking. I am guessing this would actually be better with slotted rotors to wipe the pad clean as you use it. Would love to find a pad with good bite and heat ratings, but without the massive amount of dust.
McDoof

Postby shav » Mon May 11, 2015 10:17 am

McDoof wrote:

Yea, I generally don't get my brakes that hot, but I have had the car on the track. That is one time when brake fade is not an option. The stoptech's performed brilliantly. Chewed up my rotors, but never let go. Got so hot that the rotors were actually smoking when I pitted.
I just find that they leave a residue on the rotors so it always feels like my rotors are not even. Takes a bit of hard braking to clean them up an smooth out the braking. I am guessing this would actually be better with slotted rotors to wipe the pad clean as you use it. Would love to find a pad with good bite and heat ratings, but without the massive amount of dust.

I don't think a pad exists what does what you want it and has no dust. I think the dust goes hand in hand with performance braking. It's more which is the lesser of the evils. I reckon the Intima SR pad is worth a shot. It will still have dust but I reckon it will better than the Stoptech's which I agree were shocking with the amount of dust it produced. Just read on the website that they rated to 700deg which should suit your needs perfectly. They also claim 'low dust' http://www.intima.net.au/sr_pads.php

I also totally recommend the T2 or T3 slotted rotors. By far the best rotor I have bought. Should help clean off pads as you mentioned.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Mon May 11, 2015 1:05 pm

I don't think a pad exists what does what you want it and has no dust. I think the dust goes hand in hand with performance braking. It's more which is the lesser of the evils. I reckon the Intima SR pad is worth a shot. It will still have dust but I reckon it will better than the Stoptech's which I agree were shocking with the amount of dust it produced. Just read on the website that they rated to 700deg which should suit your needs perfectly. They also claim 'low dust' http://www.intima.net.au/sr_pads.php

I also totally recommend the T2 or T3 slotted rotors. By far the best rotor I have bought. Should help clean off pads as you mentioned.

Funny thing is that stoptech also says Low dust on their website http://www.stoptech.com/products/brake-pads :lol: That's reaching a bit.
But I think you might be right. Intima SR with some T3s might be the go in my case.
McDoof

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods