Member Profile - Shav *07 Liberty GT Premium*

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Shav *new wheels pg33*

Postby shav » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:55 am

ferret89 wrote:
Riffnugget wrote:Hey Shav, I'm in love with your car... you've done everything perfect!

A few quick questions, I'm looking at the same dump pipe from Invidia for $799
What was the performance improvement like after installing it? I too have an auto.

Also, I'm looking at the same Dba t2 rotors and Intima ss pads... do they give off much brake dust? Any squealing at all?
My pads squeal and give off a ridiculous amount of brake dust hence my want to upgrade.

And would you recommend to a stock GT-B owner like me upgrading the intercooler while keeping the stock turbo like you did?

Very much appreciated, thanks!

Ethan

I'm not Shav, but I might be able to help with a few of your questions.

1) Invidia Dump Pipe is a great performance mod, keep in mind that it must be paired with a tune to be safe. You will see very noticeable improvements from these so highly recommended

2) I wouldn't recommend upgrading your intercooler with the stock turbo, I don't think it gives many gains or real benefits on such a small turbo for the price it costs. Stick with stock until it is no longer effective enough in my opinion

Hi Ethan and thanks Daniel.

Firstly I agree with Daniel in regards to the dump pipe. It's a definite improvement for more torque and power down low post tune. Just be prepared when you fit it. Space is limited between the cat and the gear box. I mean there is literally 2mm of space. So if you are not really handy with the tools or are limited in time, or do not have the patience like me, I strongly recommend getting someone to fit it for you. There is a method that will make it fit but you have to do it with some trial and error to make it fit nicely or it will foul the gearbox. Also there is added heat from the dump and without a heat shield it could prematurely make your CV boot fail or split. The stock unit has a heat shield all the way down and offers a fair bit of heat protection but the Invidia or should I say most other after market dumps do not provide a heat shield of any kind. I found my CV boot split after a week of having the dump fitted. It could have been purely coincidence I dont know. But the added heat would not have helped any. I ended up getting the dump pipe wrapped with header wrap to reduce the heat on the new CV boot I fiited. So far so good.

As for the intercooler, its a personal thing. They do not add power per sey. They just allow you to make consistent power with more timing and without the heat soak and less chance of knock. The stock IC is prone to heat soak after some hard squirts but it is very capable of handling reasonable power outputs, after heat soak sets in the car does feel sluggish as the ecu backs off the timing to compensate for the hotter air entering the engine. A bigger IC just reduces that and allows you add more timing due to the cooler air temps and tune more out of your current setup. So therefore you are still maintaining the same feeling of power after the few squirts as you would first thing in the morning for instance, but at any time of the day and with far less heat soak. I bought the bigger IC due to a great group buy. Did I need it? Not really. Did I want it? Of course because one day I plan to get a bigger turbo. Unless you get a good deal pop up you could just stick with the stock IC for now and make sure Matt tunes the car within it's capabilities. Another cost effective option is to fit a water spray kit to spray on the IC during certain temperature increases in the engine bay. Heard this can be done and is effective if you can get it to come on at selective temps.

The brake pads are very good IMO. I have found them to be low in dust. As long as you are using brand new rotors I have not heard any squealing. It also helps if they have been bedded in properly. But they have excellent bite and do not chew out rotors. Just don't test their limits out like I did once on a spirited hills run downhill. haha. Sphincter quenching moment there. :|
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Riffnugget » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:59 am

Cheers Shav... thanks for the insight
That makes me a bit worried to put on a dump pipe now.. Looks like ill really have to take my time and do more research for one with some sort of heat shield. Haha theres no way I'll be putting it on myself...
Interesting about the intercooler. I guess I won't need one for my circumstances, and its out of my budget too anyway =)
Those pads and rotors look like a real good choice. I'm really tired of cleaning my wheels all the time, and the squealing is annoying and kinda embarassing to say the least...
I guess its just more money to fork out...

Looking forward to more pics of your Liberty. Its up there with the best on this forum. Wish I could see it person :D

-Ethan
Riffnugget

Car: Subaru Liberty GT Spec B MY07
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30657

Postby shav » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Riffnugget wrote:Cheers Shav... thanks for the insight
That makes me a bit worried to put on a dump pipe now.. Looks like ill really have to take my time and do more research for one with some sort of heat shield. Haha theres no way I'll be putting it on myself...
Interesting about the intercooler. I guess I won't need one for my circumstances, and its out of my budget too anyway =)
Those pads and rotors look like a real good choice. I'm really tired of cleaning my wheels all the time, and the squealing is annoying and kinda embarassing to say the least...
I guess its just more money to fork out...

Looking forward to more pics of your Liberty. Its up there with the best on this forum. Wish I could see it person :D

-Ethan

You could get the DP HPC coated which will reduce the temps quite a bit and will look crap loads better than header wrap. Add $150-200 on top of the DP price though for the privilege.

With the IC, it's not that IC's aren't beneficial, they are. But you need to ask yourself what you are planning to do with your car? Are you racing? Is it for daily duties? Is it fr the occasional sprint in the hills? These kind of questions will lend itself to helping focus your money on the areas which will get you there, rather than buying stuff you dont necessarily need. For the longest time, I went without a DP and just a cat back and tune. It was perfectly fine for what I needed it for. I didnt have to go all out with the bolt ons for my needs but hey, I had the money and wanted to tinker with the car. So my circumstances were different. It's gotten to the point now that I dont need to spend any more on the car. Im just enjoying it for what it is now.

Really appreciate the kind words also. I don't know about it being up there with the best. Once I spend the coin on getting the body and paint to where I want it to be, it will be a lot better.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby shav » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:23 am

My lease for the car runs out end of June next year. Im unsure if I should keep it and buy the car out or sell it and get something else. The business can cope either way with or without a lease car as a tax benefit. My biggest issue is finding something that will be better than what I have now in terms of power, refinement, looks and price. Not really interested in spending more than 35k though total and I would like to get something that I wouldnt be afraid to go off road with too.

My options so far:

Forester XT Premium
Outback 3.6R
Audi Q3
Merc?

Any other suggestions?

Year cannot be older than 2012.

If I cant find something that will inspire me to give my beloved Gen 4 LGT then I will just pay out my residual on the LGT and do more stuff to it.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby BigBCalais » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:40 am

Sounds like a right dilemma shav, a golf r just fits into that budget if that suits? All though it doesn't meet off road requirements really :lol:

The levorg is meant to be out mid next year, another option?
dr20t wrote:Simple rule. If you act like a dick then you deserved to get dicked

06 Blitzen 6mt
'Lightly' modified: Eyelids, HIDs, Outback bonnet, 2 1/4" Exhaust with HiTech mufflers, Lip spoiler, E̶n̶k̶e̶i̶ ̶T̶6̶s̶ ̶1̶8̶x̶8̶.̶5̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶e̶l̶s̶, Rays 57Valkyrie 18x8.5, Sti Pink Springs, Kido tune, Brembos
BigBCalais

Car: Black 06 Blitzen 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26522

Postby shav » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:24 am

BigBCalais wrote:Sounds like a right dilemma shav, a golf r just fits into that budget if that suits? All though it doesn't meet off road requirements really :lol:

The Levorg is definitely something to consider Bryce. I have thought about that. I guess I will have to think about how many times I actually go off road nor not.

The Golf R is a weapon of a car that I would genuinely go for if it had a bit more space in the back. Even the Alltrack looks the goods if I stretched the purse strings.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby imania » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:59 am

shav wrote:
BigBCalais wrote:Sounds like a right dilemma shav, a golf r just fits into that budget if that suits? All though it doesn't meet off road requirements really :lol:

The Levorg is definitely something to consider Bryce. I have thought about that. I guess I will have to think about how many times I actually go off road nor not.

The Golf R is a weapon of a car that I would genuinely go for if it had a bit more space in the back. Even the Alltrack looks the goods if I stretched the purse strings.

Golf R Wagon is available if you can keep stretching....
imania

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Tuned by STi

Postby shav » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Thats pimp. Oh man, my wallet is gonna hate me
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Hotwire » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:16 pm

oops double post
Last edited by Hotwire on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Postby Hotwire » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:18 pm

Was going to say VW R36 Wagon:

But last one was made 2010...
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
Hotwire

Postby shav » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:00 pm

If they came out in 2012 I'd be on it Lee. I got decisions to make. I reckon I'll pay out the residual and sit on the car for another year or so, then look for a 1-2yo Golf R wagon or Levorg.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Hotwire » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:12 pm

The subsequent shape had same 220kW engine; 0-100 in 5.5 seconds:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 7053/?Cr=1

Just didnt get big brakes... and lets face it you're gonna do suspension on any car you buy ;)
Hotwire

Postby Hotwire » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:15 pm

sorry 5.7

still quicker than a lot of "performance" cars:

http://www.autosnout.com/0-100kph-Times ... econds.php

:twisted:
Hotwire

Postby shav » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:12 pm

That's decent. Just wished it had the uniqueness of the R36 in terms of style. But I guess that's a personal thing at the end of the day.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Hotwire » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:27 pm

Yeah, I'd rather the R36 any day for the styling - but i'm not looking for a lease ;)
Hotwire

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods