Member Profile - Static09

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Static09

Postby shav » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 am

Hey Static, nice car mate.

How do the brakes feel after Taylor fitted them?

Also what else is planned for your ride?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby static09 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:02 pm

HyRax wrote:So how do the new WRX brakes feel compared to your old ones?

Yeah they feel 100% over the stock, i think the old ones had stock pads in them and the pedal was very soft, So much confidence in the pedal but yet to do any big stops only really done for 60

And regarding your previous post re Brembo's:

static09 wrote:lol little bit excessive on the 2.5 i think

HyRax wrote: No it's not. I upgraded my 2.5i to Brembo's and they feel great. If you're a hard driver, and as I noted in another post, you're an admitted late-braker (which is good if you frequent the track a lot), then a good brake setup is never excessive.

Yeah I had seen that you had upgraded to them but for me the cost including wheels to fit them was more than I was willing to fork out at this time. An upgrade was needed but I do agree in a way brakes can never be too excessive but for my use I hope this set up with cope
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.
static09

Car: 06 Liberty Safety Pack
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18125&p=253412#p253412

Postby static09 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:08 pm

shav wrote:Hey Static, nice car mate.

How do the brakes feel after Taylor fitted them?

Also what else is planned for your ride?

Brakes feel 100% on the old ones

ATM not a lot, need to start saving towards a house but any spare will go towards suspention and wheels
static09

Postby cooki_monsta » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:30 pm

Dropz wrote:I think braided lines are wank factor unless you're tracking a car. If the stock lines are leaking, then yes I would upgrade to braided whilst I was at it but until then the stock ones are fine. A brake stopper will give alot better performance than braided lines.

Especially if you were getting brake fade as much as me! I boiled mine a few times on the cruise. Oopsi?

+1
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/
cooki_monsta

Car: MY05 BL9 > MY08 Z33
Profile URL: http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/

Postby cruisn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 pm

cooki_monsta wrote:
Dropz wrote:I think braided lines are wank factor unless you're tracking a car. If the stock lines are leaking, then yes I would upgrade to braided whilst I was at it but until then the stock ones are fine. A brake stopper will give alot better performance than braided lines.

Especially if you were getting brake fade as much as me! I boiled mine a few times on the cruise. Oopsi?

+1

So now there are 2 people who dont know what theyre on about and need to do some research........ :roll:
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby bosc0 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:16 am

cruisn wrote:So now there are 2 people who dont know what theyre on about and need to do some research........ :roll:

Truth. I had some Sti lines installed last service, resulting in a much improved brake pedal feel. Great seller, would buy again.
bosc0

Car: GT SpecB wagon

Postby static09 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Yesterday we had the Track day down here in SA out at mallala raceway. Was a hell of a lot of fun and the little 2.5i handled it reasonably well dispite the lack of power.

The new project mu spec b pads held up well with a little bit of smoke at the end of one of the longer sessions on the track. Being my first time on the track was fairly careful at the start of the day and got faster as the day went on. At one point my CV boot split, spewing oil all over the exhaust with some lovely smoke coming off it. Karl (dropz) taped it up to get me through to when i can get it fixed.

Great day and cant wait for the next one, hopefully i can find some spare cash for some more upgrades prior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSHszDGp ... e=youtu.be - Video of one of my runs on the day, excuse the rookie driving style.
static09

Postby HyRax » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Just watched the video. Good run. You missed a lot of apexes and need to take those corners a little more aggressively but that's all part of the learning process.

Also you are too relaxed - get out of the habit of resting your left hand on the gear knob. Keep both hands on the wheel until you actually need to change gear, and brake harder and later before each turn.

Finally, before you set off, pull your seat all the way back away from the steering wheel, put the belt on and while keeping it as close to your body as possible, jerk it tight so that it locks. Now while holding the belt so that it stays locked, get someone else to push your seat forward again so the belt remains locked tight against your body when you let go of it. Hey presto - you have a poor man's racing harness! You will stay in your seat much more solidly and spend less time and energy using your legs to brace yourself around turns. The end result will be a few seconds shaved off your lap time just like that.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby static09 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:11 pm

HyRax wrote:Just watched the video. Good run. You missed a lot of apexes and need to take those corners a little more aggressively but that's all part of the learning process.

Also you are too relaxed - get out of the habit of resting your left hand on the gear knob. Keep both hands on the wheel until you actually need to change gear, and brake harder and later before each turn.

Finally, before you set off, pull your seat all the way back away from the steering wheel, put the belt on and while keeping it as close to your body as possible, jerk it tight so that it locks. Now while holding the belt so that it stays locked, get someone else to push your seat forward again so the belt remains locked tight against your body when you let go of it. Hey presto - you have a poor man's racing harness! You will stay in your seat much more solidly and spend less time and energy using your legs to brace yourself around turns. The end result will be a few seconds shaved off your lap time just like that.

Thanks for the tips, My style was rather slopy and aim to try and improve next time i get out onto the track, bit of a baseline day.
So used to driving fairly relaxed on the road, not used to using full throtle and brake late and hard. That seatbelt tip is a good one I never even thought of, one issue, i sit with the seat on the backmost position but still can try and pull tight.
static09

Postby Dropz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 pm

If you have the seat back you can get similar effect by leaning the backrest down, locking it and brining the back rest up again.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby static09 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Dropz wrote:If you have the seat back you can get similar effect by leaning the backrest down, locking it and brining the back rest up again.

will try that next time, didnt even think to pull it tight. just used my leg on the centre console to prop myself up, only left hander that needed to be held in was turn 2(i think, onto pit stright)
static09

Postby HyRax » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:44 am

static09 wrote:Thanks for the tips, My style was rather slopy and aim to try and improve next time i get out onto the track, bit of a baseline day.

Believe me, the more track days you do, the better driver you become on the roads in general. You know how your car behaves and you quickly learn how much it takes for your car to pull up or swerve away in an emergency situation at a certain speed etc.

static09 wrote:So used to driving fairly relaxed on the road, not used to using full throtle and brake late and hard. That seatbelt tip is a good one I never even thought of, one issue, i sit with the seat on the backmost position but still can try and pull tight.

On the track this seatbelt technique will generally have you sitting a little closer to the wheel than you usually do, but after you try it, you'll discover doing a track day feels so much easier and you can more comfortably take those turns with more speed. It's very weird the first time you do it but afterwards you'll wonder how you never drove that way in the first place. Simply put, the less body movement you have, the less the brain will overcompensate for the g-forces acting on you.

I take it you are bit of a tall person to have the seat so far back in general. Normally the ideal daily driving position from the wheel is where you can sit in the seat in a comfortable position with your wrist on top of the steering wheel and a slight bend in your elbow, but everyone's different.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Previous

Return to Post your mods