V12 Twin Turbo Liberty

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

V12 Twin Turbo Liberty

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:28 am

Pics of the build can be found here as well
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 362&type=3
And pics of the Mercedes 190E V12 and GT4088R
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 362&type=3

Shameless plug to a mate right there. Mention me when you drop in for a slap in the chops :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok so 90% of this will be a cut and paste off PF thread. Al, is Al from AM Auto of http://www.amauto.com.au fame, of which anyone who has been involved in liberties, or conversions or sticking turbos on shit should know him. I dont have anything to do with AM Auto, except for being a customer and beer drinker. But Ill happily put their name forward to anyone requiring anything from a service to a complete transplant.

The history of the thing is:
Ive owned the gen3 for 8 years now, and its been in the family for 11 or so. Its been through a few 2.0's and 2.5 blocks from being thrashed but has always impressed everyone with build quality. Its 350,000km old and is as tight as a nuns nasty with not a single squeak or rattle. The paint is tired, the body has dings, but mechanically its always been a pearler of a thing. Some freshen ups in the last few years include some new bushes, gen4 bilstein wagon rear struts, sti gen 4 sedan front struts, sti gen 3 pinks, whiteline catalogue, and fozza GT brakes. Just enough to be a competent fun thing to thrash around.

Anyway blew another head gasket a few months back. Usual story is rip block out, replace with $100 item, drive again for a few more years. Somehow this turned into getting the car up to Al's place and gutting it. For a good part of this I was nowhere to be seen, out west working. A lot of the 'plan' changes as it happens, the whole thing went from:
VQ30DETT nissan engine, 300zx 5 sp, R200 silvia diff
1GZFE with T56 6 speed and R200
1GZFE with twin TD0620G and fully manualised TH400 and nissan R230.

So the story from Al begins. Ive done very little posting about the car, Al has plastered it over the internet as its all advertising for him. I dont give a hoot if people know it or not as long as it does a stout skid.

This is one of my two liberties. The other is a gen4 3.0 wagon in black on ohlins, rays, work and sti rims depending on duty, prodrive and stock control arms, and has a full catalogue of whiteline goodies to use as development stuff along with plenty of custom fabrication. Have been waiting patiently to throw on a turbo, have the old manifolds from Az's forged EZ30R 400kw atw weapon sitting about.Image

But for now we'll focus on the white banger, when the black car becomes officially fast (somewhere mid high 50sec QR sprint fact) I'll be posting a thread for it.

I sold all my TT Vq shit to Cracka when he was drunk and cashed up with fitment to his Gen 3 liberty sedan as part of the deal. I needed cash for the Crown's billion $ body resto and Cracka has lots so I swindled it out of him.

Finally rolled it into the home shed on thursday and started pulling the melted subaru engine out. Dropped it completely out on saturday and dropped the Vq in but it wouldn't fit because it is the tallest engine ever built. I cut the fuck out of the sump and it still wouldn't fit. I cut the eyeballs out of the Xmember and it still wouldn't fit under the bonnet, like by about 100mm. I put it down to the gay way subaru have built there Xmember. It seems they buill it to fit subaru engines rather than nissan V6's.

I thought I'd throw the V12 in there for laughs and it fitted better than the stupid V6. So then I rang Cracka and told him he needed a V12 instead and he said whatever, as long as it skids.

So Face came down today and we figured out a Xmember/rack mounting modification that would have the least impact on steering geometry and allow the engine to fit.

To note: Face is a mate of Al's, who is a handy motherfucker who can find anything automotive.

Proof that the bonnet shuts.

Proof that it opens.

Acres of space in there, the std headers will even fit with a bit of fettling.

Need a bellhousing and T56 now.[/QUOTE]
Last edited by kiks on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kiks

Car: 1UZTurbo HQ ute, Gen3 1GZ 5L V12 lib

Re: V12 Twin Turbo Liberty

Postby cruisn » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:31 am

It already sounds good from Al's vid. :good:

Any asthetics planned for the exterior or keeping it relative sleeper?

Im assuming you'll at least need wheels to clear some decent brakes that can stop it. :D
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby kiahatsiu » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 am

Yeah, he is going the sleep look. Full cream pleather interior, big chrome wheels, polished FMIC and slammed. No bonnet scoop, so it will be a sleeper.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:38 pm

Trying to figure out how many monster tachos I can fit.
kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:05 pm

It's a practical conversion in my view. It fits without much hassle, it's legal, it's torquey and sounds good.

This is the kind of guy Al is.....
kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:08 pm

Did some work on the car this weekend. A boilermaker mate cut and folded a 3mm plate to fill in the gap in the X member that we cut out to clear the engine and I trimmed and welded it in yesterday and mounted the rack.

Std and modified crossmembers.

LH engine mount. Rubber mounts are diesel patrol.

RH engine mount.

Engine sitting on it's mounts. I haven't welded the mount brackets yet as I want to move the engine over to the right a bit more, this will require a smaller diameter booster off a different model subaru.

kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Around here also the brake booster was changed to a smaller item off a wrx, to make room for some sort of clutch master. At this point it was all going to be T56 still, we had an adaptor sorted out and I was just looking out for cheap box. Then...

Collected some more parts this weekend in between getting drunk and watching Phil do shed skids in Wagoner's new E30.

Turbo 400 with adaptor plate for A340, That's a 2JZ bellhousing, haven't got the 1GZ yet. Just been rebuilt with a new drum, extra clutches and larger sprag. Needs a custom converter once I get the bellhousing and some dimensions.

Cracka did some work cutting off the plenums in preparation for some tapered custom jobs.

He also delivered the TDO6SL2 20G's and tial 38's via Phil's hitlerwagen.

Here's a shot showing the current effect of engine weight on the car. With the subaru drivetrain it sat level. Still the T400 and turbos etc to go but it gives a bit of perspective on engine weight.

kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Cracka isn't a customer, he's a muppet that smokes too much. I am doing this at home, he's not paying much for it.

I quit smoking 3 days ago...Im still a muppet though...
kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:20 pm

This disgusting first thought at manifolds made me vomit. I booked flight home and went to make some myself I was so disgusted.

Collected some more shit.

Plenums. Still deciding on these. The oil filler is coming off anyway as it is too close to the bonnet.

Cooler.

Exhaust manifolds. Still in kit form.

kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Mmmmmm Vipec V88. Because motec costs $6.5k to do this, and Haltech say its too hard to run 2x 3cyl 2 stroke engines...

More stuff.

TH400 adaptor.

1GZ vs 2JZ Bellhousing.

Bellhousing clearance in tunnel.

Vipec V88.

kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Mmmmmm Vipec V88. Because motec costs $6.5k to do this, and Haltech say its too hard to run 2x 3cyl 2 stroke engines...

More stuff.

TH400 adaptor.

1GZ vs 2JZ Bellhousing.

Bellhousing clearance in tunnel.

Vipec V88.

kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Did a bit today to work off Xmas dinner.

Fitted the T400. Had to trim the original gearbox xmember mount to clear the box but fits fine otherwise.

Made a crossmember that clamps to the chassis rails.

Crush tubes welded into the chassis rail.

Finished the engine Xmember.

kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Cracka, Az and Dave didn't come today so we got something done. Thanks to Face for doing all the bitch work die grinding shit for hours. Fuck that.

Wastegates go here.

Log manifolds, won't somebody think of the children!!

kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:27 pm

So log manifolds are a bit of a laugh, a LOT of people across the internet are all experts it turns out when it comes to low revving torquey small cam V12s with small turbos made for extreme torque.

A bit more work done between Xmas activities.

Wastegates mounted. Passenger side turbo is all mounted and plumbed ready to go. Drivers side is a bit trickier due to the oil filter housing.

Rear underside.

Front underside.

Overhead view.

kiks

Postby kiks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:29 pm

This is why Al, and Miles at AM are amazing. This sort of work is just average for them, and they do it every single day on a different car. So quick and easy and functional with no bullshit kits, JDM bullshit, rice or coloured unobtanium shit. Just pipes, coolers and win.

Intercooler and piping.

kiks

Next

Return to Post your mods