Member Profile - Corsair

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Corsair

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:20 am

Nice 1 :D
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Corsair » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:46 pm

HyRax wrote:Just remember that after driving a day or two in heavy rain, you'll need to get under there and re-grease the swaybar bushes or it will bind on the bar. Doesn't damage anything if you don't, but the effect of binding will be obvious enough - car will not feel quite right around corners as you feel the body fighting against the bar, causing the turn to feel difficult instead of flat and easy. Speed bumps and potholes will feel extra sharp and steep too.

Thanks for your comment HyRax. Being mechanically 'challenged', I was both unaware that I had to do this and am also a little fearful of messing it up.

Is it as easy as you say? And, if I buy a greasegun, do I have to undo the mounts or can I just spray it into the bushes? Also, how tightly do you re-torque the mounts/brackets?

Sorry for all the noob questions. :oops:
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Postby HyRax » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Corsair wrote:Thanks for your comment HyRax. Being mechanically 'challenged', I was both unaware that I had to do this and am also a little fearful of messing it up.

You can't mess it up. Believe me, it's so simple that you'll wonder how you never thought about doing it yourself before. Remember how hard it was to build your first Lego model without instructions as a kid? Easier than that. You will quite literally go "Is that it??".

Corsair wrote:Is it as easy as you say? And, if I buy a greasegun, do I have to undo the mounts or can I just spray it into the bushes? Also, how tightly do you re-torque the mounts/brackets?

Yep, it's that easy. All you need is a tub of grease, a set of kitchen food gloves if you don't want to get your hands physically dirty, and your finger. You literally undo four bolts (two a side), pull the metal bracket off the bush (noting the orientation of the little arrow on it for when you put it back on) on both sides, pull the bar a little to move it away from the mount to make some space, then pull the bush apart (there's a split on one side of it), slide it off the bar, clean it with a cloth, then grab a blob of grease from the container and spread it evenly on the inside of the bush where the swaybar normally sits. Wipe your finger clean and reverse the process to reinstall.

Click for full size image!

The pic above is a stock rear swaybar and bush looking from the right side of the car. In the case of a Whiteline kit, the bush is replaced with a bright yellow one and the bar itself is replaced with a thicker grey painted one. The part where the swaybar itself goes through the bush is what needs to be greased - just the inside, not the outside. You can see that the bush is held to the mount with a metal plate secured by two bolts only. That's it. It's extremely simple. Note that you don't need to remove the wheels - I used this pic to better illustrate to you where everything is.

The bushes are tight to the swaybar - you cannot get away with spraying the outside of it - the grease won't get in to where you need it to. The mounts and the outside of the bush do not need grease.

The swaybar mount bolts actually aren't that tight at all. You could go get the actual torque figures from the workshop manual if you want, but tightened until you feel that some effort is now required to go further is more than sufficient. You don't even have to strain yourself. After it's bolted back on, just grab the bar, give it a shake to make sure it's solidly in place and that's it. When you go to take them off for the first time, you might be surprised how not tight they are.

Corsair wrote:Sorry for all the noob questions. :oops:

The only dumb question is the one not asked. Besides that, it's your thread - ask away! 8)
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby SH30RB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 pm

this is becoming very interesting HyRax :D

thank you also :) just a quick questiong (sorry for the hijack corsair) i cant afford new sway bars just yet, but would new sway bar bush's make any difference at all? or would it be pointless?
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby HyRax » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:04 pm

No, it's the swaybar itself that makes the difference. The better bush simply prevents the swaybar from moving around so much compared to the rubber bush - the bar just needs to rotate, nothing more.
HyRax

Postby SH30RB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:09 pm

ahh okay, thanks for that :D looks like ill be saving for a while :wink:
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby Corsair » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:10 pm

HyRax wrote:The only dumb question is the one not asked. Besides that, it's your thread - ask away! 8)

You're a king amongst kings. Every question answered and a walk through to boot! Thank you very much! :hi:
If I can get away with asking more questions, then I will ask some more...

HyRax wrote:If your car is lowered, then you'll also need ramps or a jack and stands if you can't squeeze under.

So, I don't need to jack the car if it's standard height?
And - out of curiosity - why don't the stock bushes require greasing?

Thanks again for all your help and advice!
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby HyRax » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 pm

SH30RB wrote:ahh okay, thanks for that :D looks like ill be saving for a while :wink:

Swaybars can be cheap if you shop around. I got my Whitelines from QuickSales (Online Performance Auto's listings).

Corsair wrote:Thank you very much! :hi:
If I can get away with asking more questions, then I will ask some more...

No worries. That's what forums like this are for - a collective knowledge base. I'm just contributing my 2.2c (inc GST). Even an opinion based on experience is a valuable insight for people, even if there is no technical information in it.

Corsair wrote:So, I don't need to jack the car if it's standard height?

If you're small enough to fit under, there's no need to jack up the car. In my case, I choose to jack up the car anyway to give me more elbow room so I can roll over on my side and reach with two hands rather than have to shuffle over so much.

Corsair wrote:And - out of curiosity - why don't the stock bushes require greasing?

They don't hug the stock swaybar so tightly and they flex a lot in all directions under load, so there's a bit of play which doesn't need grease to help it along.
HyRax

Postby Corsair » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Again, all questions answered! Thanks HyRax. I feel much more confident about it now. :D
Fingers crossed, they're going in on Friday and I can test them out on the Victorian 'alternative' cruise on Saturday.
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby Corsair » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:15 pm

<Quick Update>:

Just back from Pedders in South Melbourne who were not only kind enough to fit me in late on a Friday before a long weekend, but also gave me a food/drink voucher for a local cafe' while I waited, and left a bottle of wine on the front seat for my return. They even gave me a packet of grease to use on the bushes. Exceptional service! :D

The car turns in much quicker now and the steering feels much tighter. Will post pics and updates after a full day's driving tomorrow.
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:19 pm

You got all that for a swaybar and mounts install?

Bruce you owe me all that thanks.

Anyways, good to hear you are happy with it.
I think the reason they left the grease is probably because it comes with it...assuming you bought Whiteline.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby HyRax » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Corsair wrote:Exceptional service! :D

I'll say!

Corsair wrote:The car turns in much quicker now and the steering feels much tighter. Will post pics and updates after a full day's driving tomorrow.

Great, isn't it? What size did you get in the end?
HyRax

Postby Corsair » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:You got all that for a swaybar and mounts install?

Yep. I was in such a hurry however, that I forgot to get back my stock sway bar and mounts which I had hoped to keep. Hopefully, I can re-claim them on Tuesday, if they haven't been thrown out.

chaotic2050 wrote: I think the reason they left the grease is probably because it comes with it...assuming you bought Whiteline.

Actually, I asked what grease they recommended and was told that they just used the packets that came with the bars. I was then offered a packet as they had heaps laying about. I was also told that you should only use carbon grease in order to not damage the plastics.

HyRax wrote:Great, isn't it? What size did you get in the end?

I believe it was 22 and they have been set to 'hard'. Looking forward to testing them in about six hours time...
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby HyRax » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:04 am

Corsair wrote:Yep. I was in such a hurry however, that I forgot to get back my stock sway bar and mounts which I had hoped to keep. Hopefully, I can re-claim them on Tuesday, if they haven't been thrown out.

You'll never use it again, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Corsair wrote:Actually, I asked what grease they recommended and was told that they just used the packets that came with the bars. I was then offered a packet as they had heaps laying about. I was also told that you should only use carbon grease in order to not damage the plastics.

The bush is polyurethane rubber. The bushes are the only things that could get stained by a different grease, but they'd never get damaged. If they did they are easily and cheaply replaced. I used to have a WRX for four years with Whiteline swaybars front and rear and the bushes never split or cracked despite the yellow bushes being stained dark green from using an all-purpose grease instead of the Whiteline-supplied grease.

Not having a stab at Pedders, but telling you to use only the supplied grease is an easy way to potentially guarantee more business from you everytime you bring the car back to have the swaybar regreased.

Corsair wrote:I believe it was 22 and they have been set to 'hard'. Looking forward to testing them in about six hours time...

Good stuff. Keep us posted with your experience!
HyRax

Postby rooby » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:39 pm

As far as I know, for polyurethane it is best to use a lithium grease with molybdenum disulphide.

I'd say most lubricant brands would have them.

Something like Castrol LMM or Penrite Molygrease.
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods