Member Profile: HyRax

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile: HyRax

Postby Boostaddict » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:20 pm

Super tidy as per usual
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby dr20t » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:11 am

Awesomeupdate

Really like the way you post your reviews of mods

Very tastefully done too

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby HyRax » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:35 am

Thanks guys!
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby McDoof » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:56 am

What are your thoughts on the Rota wheels as far as quality goes?
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby shav » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:21 am

Just read your last major post Jeff. Love your review of the coil overs. Nice work. Makes me want to get some now. haha
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby HyRax » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:11 am

McDoof wrote:What are your thoughts on the Rota wheels as far as quality goes?

Aside from the centre caps not liking a lot of heat on the track, I find they work very well - no issues day to day and no issues on the track. I've had my wheels for a few years now.

shav wrote:Just read your last major post Jeff. Love your review of the coil overs. Nice work. Makes me want to get some now. haha

Cheers. They do feel pretty good. If you like to corner hard and stay flat, they are a boon, but if you want to do a lot of trackwork, you'll need something better than BC Racing long term - the spring rates on my BC BR's are too soft for everyday trackwork.

I wouldn't recommend them for those who want to keep the "luxury" ride of the factory setup, though. Probably look at normal lowered/STi springs instead if you want to be lower but not too firm.
HyRax

Postby shav » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:45 am

HyRax wrote:Cheers. They do feel pretty good. If you like to corner hard and stay flat, they are a boon, but if you want to do a lot of trackwork, you'll need something better than BC Racing long term - the spring rates on my BC BR's are too soft for everyday trackwork.

I wouldn't recommend them for those who want to keep the "luxury" ride of the factory setup, though. Probably look at normal lowered/STi springs instead if you want to be lower but not too firm.

Good point. I am one for flat handling and comfort levels. I just reverted back to OEM springs recently from the Teins and since doing that I have come to love the comfort all over again. Plus I dont feel as if I have lost much in the way of handling to be honest. Not sure why or if its the fact that my previous shockers were rooted, I have wider wheels or what. The car just seems to handle quite nicely. Much nicer than before the Teins.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby McDoof » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:13 pm

shav wrote:
HyRax wrote:Cheers. They do feel pretty good. If you like to corner hard and stay flat, they are a boon, but if you want to do a lot of trackwork, you'll need something better than BC Racing long term - the spring rates on my BC BR's are too soft for everyday trackwork.

Good point. I am one for flat handling and comfort levels. I just reverted back to OEM springs recently from the Teins and since doing that I have come to love the comfort all over again. Plus I dont feel as if I have lost much in the way of handling to be honest. Not sure why or if its the fact that my previous shockers were rooted, I have wider wheels or what. The car just seems to handle quite nicely. Much nicer than before the Teins.

Sway bars. probably the best bang for your buck handling improvement. Now if I could just get time to fit mine.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby shav » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:14 pm

McDoof wrote:
Sway bars. probably the best bang for your buck handling improvement. Now if I could just get time to fit mine.

Yep, done those to front and rear. I reckon that has definitely helped for sure. Set to full hard.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby HyRax » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:07 pm

McDoof wrote:Sway bars. probably the best bang for your buck handling improvement.

Absolutely.

shav wrote:Yep, done those to front and rear. I reckon that has definitely helped for sure. Set to full hard.

Same here - they made a huge difference by themselves.

This weekend I'll be trying out Whiteline's "grease-free" bushings. I want to see if they perform as well as they claim, because regreasing after rain or dirt is the only bane of aftermarket swaybars.
HyRax

Postby shav » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:17 pm

HyRax wrote:
McDoof wrote:Sway bars. probably the best bang for your buck handling improvement.

Absolutely.

shav wrote:Yep, done those to front and rear. I reckon that has definitely helped for sure. Set to full hard.

Same here - they made a huge difference by themselves.

This weekend I'll be trying out Whiteline's "grease-free" bushings. I want to see if they perform as well as they claim, because regreasing after rain or dirt is the only bane of aftermarket swaybars.

Yeah let us know Jeff. Not that Im having any issues but it would good to know the options should I come across any problems.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Jiyujin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Hey Jeff,

I really like what you have done to your Lib .... also thank you for the tutorial vids. They have been very helpful! :)

Cheers,
Al
Jiyujin

Car: MY08 Wagon 2.5SC

Postby HyRax » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Jiyujin wrote:I really like what you have done to your Lib .... also thank you for the tutorial vids. They have been very helpful! :)

Thanks! Having fun and sharing the knowledge and experience makes it all worthwhile. :)
HyRax

Postby HyRax » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:28 pm

Last night the Whiteline Grease-Free Technology bushes went in, replacing the traditional yellow Whiteline bushes that need to be re-greased periodically particularly after heavy rain or driving on dirt. If you don't do this, the swaybar fails to rotate within the bush and binds, ruining the handling of the vehicle and causing it to cock a leg when turning into and up certain driveways.

Re-greasing, whilst not difficult, is still a relatively annoying task to perform - it can take as little as 15 minutes per end to do front and rear, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's annoying, so Whiteline's claim to have "grease-free" bushes is an attractive one and one I was keen to test.

The bushes are the cheapest part of any swaybar, so the $15 per pair it cost me to get a pair of replacement front 22mm and rear 20mm bushes was small enough that if it didn't work as claimed, I would hardly be out of pocket to care.

The install process was simple enough:

1. Remove the existing bushes.
  2. Clean everything as much as possible with degreaser.
  3. Install the new bushes, this time without grease.

So here's the two packages I bought - a 22mm and 20mm kit. The "grease-free" aspect is a new coating inside the bush made up of hundreds of "hairs" that reduce the friction coefficient by a huge margin. Sticking your finger in there and wiggling it around is... pleasantly slippery... :oops:

Image Image

Anyway, I started with the rear. I pulled out one of the original bushes and compared it to the new one and found I made an error on ordering, failing to indicate which model of Subaru the bush was intended, so the new one is about 5mm wider than the original. The extra width does not interfere with the curve of the swaybar so I decided to press on with the install. If it causes problems, I'll just order some of the correct width later (but given the swaybar doesn't really move sideways that much anyway, I can't see it being an issue).

Image Image

I've already posted before shots when I did the AVO re-enforced mounts, so here's the post-install of the new bushes. Everything nice and clean after spending a few minutes degreasing and wiping:

Image Image

Looks good.

Now for the front.

While the front was not binding like the back was, it was still pretty grainy and grubby down there.

Image Image

Like the rears, the new bushes were 5mm wider than the old ones:

And after cleaning everything and installing the new bushes:

Image Image

So now the big question: "How does it feel to drive?"

Not putting on grease had already psychologically prepared me to hear it squeak like buggery which you expect a lack of grease on bushes to do, but it didn't feel that way at all - they felt exactly like they were freshly greased. The binding was gone, the car was flat, there was no squeaking and no cocking of a rear leg entering certain sharp driveways. It felt completely normal.

Going for an extended drive, the car felt great. The imperfections in the road were being absorbed again (binding bushes usually amplify the minor imperfections in the road somewhat) and turning into a corner once again felt easy and assured.

So now the big test will be when it rains again, which will have to wait. Will it bind again? How much dirt will the new bushes gather with no grease for it to stick on? Will dirt get inside the bushes and upset the smoothness? Will the hairs on the inside of the bush wear out over time turning it into a normal bush? The latter is my biggest question - all other benefits aside, even if these bushes lasted only 12 months and needed to be replaced with new ones every year, that is much more preferable than having to re-grease the bushes on average once a month.
HyRax

Postby shav » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:35 am

This is a great write up Jeff. Im keen to hear your reviews in the wet. I have a sharp driveway as you describe and almost every time I enter it, the inside wheel cocks up. SO no doubt I am in need of some new bushes at some point.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods