Member Profile: HyRax

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile: HyRax

Postby HyRax » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 pm

MY08 Subaru Liberty 2.5i 5-speed manual sedan, Australian Domestic Market

Colour: Obsidian Black

Current setup:
  • Front 22mm Whiteline swaybar
  • Rear 20mm Whiteline swaybar
  • Jaycar 35w 6,000K HID headlight upgrade kit (really prefer 5,000K but they don't sell that)
  • Jaycar White LED parkers and number plate lights
  • Max Vision Australia 15w 6,000K HID reverse lights upgrade kit from eBay (makes it very easy to reverse park in absolute darkness)
  • Mr. Cool tint (25%)
  • Tuned by Edward from Xtreme Racing Performance - 10% increase in maximum power and torque with no other engine mods
  • BC BR Type RA Racing Coilovers from Just Jap.
  • Rota Gravel wheels in 18"x8.5" +44 offset in Hyper Black colour from Pro Speed Racing
  • 235/40/18 Kumho KU36 Ecsta XS tyres from International Tyre Traders in Sydney
  • Rear guards rolled by Sydney Guard Rolling
  • 65mm STi centre wheel caps courtesy of eBay (item is now closed, but here's the seller's eBay store).
  • Exedy HD clutch (225mm including new spigot bearing, model FJK-7374SMF)
  • Android Nexus 7 2013 Tablet installation with Torque Pro monitoring and recording car telemetry as well as providing navigation and entertainment functions
  • Subaru boot liner
  • MY06 Liberty GT front leather seats with airbags and electric driver's adjustment
  • MY08 Liberty rear leather seat
  • AVO reinforced rear swaybar mounts from Car Mods Australia.
  • Whiteline KCA334 replacement rear bushes for the front control arms.
  • Whiteline W0506 replacement front bushes for the front control arms.
  • Whiteline Grease-free Technology 20mm and 22mm swaybar bushes (replaces the original polyurethane bushes) from Car Mods Australia.
  • Short-shifter drop-in replacement from Cairns Customs.
  • Replaced the OEM brakes with 2002 STi Brembo's front and rear along with larger discs and Kartboy adapters for the rear calipers.
  • Had cruisn repaint the Brembo calipers as the original gold was scratched and stone-chipped.
  • DBA 4000 slotted Brembo/STi brake rotors at the front and DBA "HD Direct" (basically the non-slotted version of DBA4000) Brembo/STi brake rotors on the rear.
  • Replaced all OEM rubber brake hoses with Goodrich braided brake lines.
  • Have modified a pair of Kartboy rear WRX caliper adapters to suit the Brembo's.
  • Have had a set of MY08 handbrake shoes modified with a 10mm slab of meat to replace the factory pad to suit the larger rear STi brake rotor for the Brembo project, courtesy of Marion Brake and Clutch in Belmore.
  • Replaced the stock brake booster and master brake cylinder with an MY05 STi brake booster and master brake cylinder for a 13% improvement in pedal firmness. Also allows me to stomp harder on the brakes in general.
  • Cusco Master Brake Cylinder brace from JDM Concept (SKU 692 561 A) - eliminates firewall flex under heavy braking by supporting the Master Brake Cylinder from moving
  • Blackvue DR400GHD-II in-car camera to record any incidents
  • Rhino Lip flexible silicone front bumper lip from Rhino Lip Australia
  • JDM Spec B front grille with chrome section painted black to look like the S402 part from Sydney City Subaru (Parts Department)
  • Whiteline KCA334 lower control arm inner rear bushing replacement kit from Car Mods Australia
  • Whiteline W0506 lower control arm inner front bushing replacement kit from Car Mods Australia
  • Replacement Spec B interior dashboard from On Boost Auto Parts (Wrecker)
  • Subaru double-DIN radio fascia kit from AVOJDM
  • Sony MEX- N4050BT single-DIN CD/MP3 headunit with Bluetooth
  • Removed those crappy headlight protectors
  • Removed front and rear bumper protection strips

Changes in progress:
  • None - no longer have the Liberty anymore

Proposed future changes:
  • None - no longer have the Liberty anymore

Cleaned with:

Fuel Consumption:
  • Fuel preference: BP Ultimate (98 octane)
  • Best estimated-distance-to-empty reported by the car: 860 kilometres
  • Best distance achieved on one tank before refuelling: 758.4 kilometres (100 kilos of extra load in the boot, 60.5 litres consumed, 100-110kph speed, 12-19 degrees celcius from dawn to dusk on Easter long weekend, long distance highway travel with minimal stops, no air-con, windows closed, 6K interval Castrol Magnatec 10w40 oil change and full bottle of Subaru Fuel Additive added before trip started)

Obligatory current pics (click on each image for full size):
Image Image

Older pics (click each image for full size):
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Unfortunately due to an inattentive Land Rover driver in September 2019, my Liberty was rear-ended, pushed into the back of a truck, and written-off. I purchased a 2019 Outback 3.6R in October 2019 to replace it.
Last edited by HyRax on Mon May 02, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 50 times in total.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Re: Member Profile: HyRax

Postby hamish_023 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Any pictures of the car? or print out from Xtreme Racing?

PS. Please for your paint's sake stop using FW1 waterless spray foam.
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby HyRax » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:50 pm

hamish_023 wrote:Any pictures of the car?

Added!

hamish_023 wrote:or print out from Xtreme Racing?

XRT thread with graphs here.
Local thread with most of the graphs here.

hamish_023 wrote:PS. Please for your paint's sake stop using FW1 waterless spray foam.

Why? It seems to work well for me - doesn't scratch or anything like that as long as you use a clean cloth each time. That said, I don't use it if the car is blatantly dirty with mud, bugs or tar - traditional water & soap wash and rinse in that case.
HyRax

Postby west_minist » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 am

Nice!
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby Corsair » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Looking good Hyrax. How's the Linux car PC coming?
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Postby HyRax » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:11 pm

Corsair wrote:Looking good Hyrax. How's the Linux car PC coming?

The project's only just started. I'm currently waiting on delivery of the touchscreen so I can start putting together a suitable interface for a small display. At the moment I've setup a development environment using a regular monitor on a spare Atom-based system so I can start putting together other software I'll want such as media/music player, GPS, Bluetooth, etc and work out the best ways to interface with them with a minimum amount of screen tapping. At this stage I plan to make use of multiple workspaces (one major app per workspace rather than "flip" between app windows on one workspace) and motion gestures to flick between them, or perhaps just jump between apps using a sidebar panel which in turn will animate the workspaces accordingly (via Compiz).

I'll be putting this together using Ubuntu 11.10 initially, but plan to have the final system on 12.04 before it goes in the car (I'd rather employ an LTS release so it stays as rock solid as possible). Once I'm happy with the general software, then I'll get the remaining hardware ordered such as Double-DIN box for the PC, PSU, amp, replacement radio fascia, etc.
HyRax

Postby Corsair » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:05 am

Should be one hell of system if you are going to make it so customised. I read they're going to release Ubuntu 12.04 around April this year, so am guessing that's your timeframe for completion... If you can get good Bluetooth working in a Gen IV, you could probably start a small business selling them too!
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby HyRax » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:25 am

Corsair wrote:Should be one hell of system if you are going to make it so customised. I read they're going to release Ubuntu 12.04 around April this year, so am guessing that's your timeframe for completion... If you can get good Bluetooth working in a Gen IV, you could probably start a small business selling them too!

It's intended to be a long-term project. :) There'll be the initial setup and then subsequent improvements based on usage, needs, etc.

Every release of Ubuntu is accompanied by at least one month's flurry of launch bug fixes, so I don't actually expect to have anything installed in the car before May or even June, because I suspect many of the Unity plugins or other things I elect to use may need updates or tweaks to work properly in 12.04. We'll see what happens.

My personal challenge on this project is to make the Car PC as "all-in-one" as possible, including amp, PSU, and using nothing but a simple ISO adapter to have it connect to the factory harness. Sadly, I may be forced to still use an external amp because some of the pocket-sized 4-channel 4x50w amps out there that could fit into a DIN casing like a typical aftermarket headunit's amp, apparently distort at high volume easily (really won't know for sure until I've tried one for myself).
HyRax

Postby HyRax » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:59 pm

Finally got some rubber today for my Rota Gravel wheels which will allow me to fit my Brembo calipers as soon as they are ready.

To save some cash, I settled for Kumho KU31 Ecsta SPT rubber in 225/45/18. This is a bit larger than the 18" rubber you'd normally get for this car (usually 225/40/18), but I chose this so that the wheel fills the wheel arch a bit more and also to make the speedo more accurate. What used to be 5-6kph out is now only 2kph out (according to the GPS), so when my speedo reads 100kph, I'm now doing 98kph instead of 95kph.

So far there doesn't seem to be any compromise in grip quality compared to my old Bridgestone RE050A's, but I'm so far already finding that the feedback from the wheels is different such that cornering seems to be a little more "floaty" than before which is odd considering that the profile of the rubber is the same as the 17's I had before. The tyres still need some scrubbing in, so perhaps this sensation will change.

Despite the same profile, the ride is a little firmer than before and you can certainly feel some of the bumps in the road more harshly.

Click for full size!

Doing some normal driving tests, there was no rubbing evident, but there IS a tiny amount of rub on the rear when hitting a yump (dip) at speed and if exiting a driveway with passengers in the back. May consider rolling the guards if it becomes a problem, and this is stock height too.

There's a small amount of stretch in the tyres to fit the rims, so next set will likely be 235's to square it up a bit, but I'll definitely have to roll the guards to fit those. If 8" wheels were available in the Gravel's in Hyper Black at the time I bought them, I'd have grabbed those.

I didn't like the Rota centre caps, so I grabbed some STi bling from eBay. I removed the clear layer from the Rota cap and then placed the 65mm vinyl two-layer STi sticker on the clean surface directly over the Rota logo. Fits 99% perfectly! The seller didn't have any red STi logos, so I settled for old-school pink. The fake carbon fibre print works surprisingly well too.

Click for full size!

Click for full size!
Last edited by HyRax on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HyRax

Postby Corsair » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Charcoal definitely looks good on a black car. :good: Excellent job on the caps too...Did you have to cover the STI vinyl's with anything?
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby HyRax » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Technically the wheels are black - they just have this shiny finish which makes them look grey/charcoal. The actual Gunmetal colour these wheels are also available in, which is normally a nice metallic dark grey and what I almost originally went for, is actually darker and browner than the black! :lol:

Case in point, here's a comparison between the Gunmetal, Hyper Black and Hyper Silver colours. The middle one is the Hyper Black I got. The far left one is Gunmetal. Too dark for a black car IMO.

The STi stickers are two layer vinyl - same stuff as you see on rally cars and the like. Most vinyl is weather and fade resistant for about 5-7 years (except fluro colours) so in this case there is no need for a protective clear layer on top. If they ever do somehow fall apart, they're only $15 to replace all four of them with something new. :)
HyRax

Postby HyRax » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Just had the rear guards rolled today by Sydney Guard Rolling by Nelson - great bloke who is mobile and comes to you anywhere in Sydney. Amazing results with no paint cracking anywhere to be seen, and it's a VERY smooth finish.

I decided to get the guards rolled because I was lightly rubbing the rear wheels over certain bumps on corners every so often that it was getting annoying and I didn't want to prematurely wear the shoulders of the tyres either.

Great results and no more rubbing. Very happy. :D
HyRax

Postby Nipple06 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Remove the bumper strips makes the car look 100x better :) thats my 2 cents
GB:Subaru Android, iPod, iPhone, USB & Bluetooth Car Kit | GROM
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=21136
Nipple06

Car: Subaru liberty 2.5i wagon 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15410

Postby HyRax » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:03 pm

I agree - they look hideous. It's on my "future changes" list. I'll get them off once I get around to getting some time to go buy some fishing line and sit down with the heat gun. :)
HyRax

Postby Nipple06 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:21 pm

HyRax wrote:I agree - they look hideous. It's on my "future changes" list. I'll get them off once I get around to getting some time to go buy some fishing line and sit down with the heat gun. :)

just a hair dryer :)
GB:Subaru Android, iPod, iPhone, USB & Bluetooth Car Kit | GROM
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=21136
Nipple06

Car: Subaru liberty 2.5i wagon 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15410

Next

Return to Post your mods