My new liberty with mods :)

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: My new liberty with mods :)

Postby Gambit » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:22 am

<GB> wrote:good news the he emailed me then i rang him, he pulled off the exhaust and its started making power again its not the car but the rear section of the exhuast which are mrt ones from when the car was first built, with the rear section off it made 10kw more than when the had it at the same boost and the boost also came back up, fantasic result so far, once its boosted with a new system it should be good just hope its not too loud lol

Yeah thats not surprising, the MRT ones are 1&3/4inch after the Y split. They are a great street exhaust for mild power where noise is a concern but if your wanting to make big power then you have to go larger diameter.
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Postby coyote » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 am

Gambit wrote:
<GB> wrote:good news the he emailed me then i rang him, he pulled off the exhaust and its started making power again its not the car but the rear section of the exhuast which are mrt ones from when the car was first built, with the rear section off it made 10kw more than when the had it at the same boost and the boost also came back up, fantasic result so far, once its boosted with a new system it should be good just hope its not too loud lol

Yeah thats not surprising, the MRT ones are 1&3/4inch after the Y split. They are a great street exhaust for mild power where noise is a concern but if your wanting to make big power then you have to go larger diameter.

If it's always had the same exhaust, how is pipe size the cause of the power loss?

Did they shrink?

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby senator » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:49 am

coyote wrote:
Gambit wrote:

If it's always had the same exhaust, how is pipe size the cause of the power loss?

Did they shrink?

+1

An exhaust would limit the performance from day one, unless the cat and muffler packing have come loose and formed a blockage…… but you would have lost more than just power in this case.

Have they checked for vacuum/boost leaks, you mentioned before the fmic piping had a history of coming loose.

How is the boost controlled and what are the specs of your waste gate??
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

My new liberty with mods :)

Postby Gambit » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:58 am

coyote wrote:
Gambit wrote:

Did they shrink?

don't ask me just setting the obvious, there would be other issues as well
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Postby <GB> » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Exhaust systems can block up seen it before and it makes sense too cause sometimes when i started it the car wouldnt go, will be pissing off the back section and going from there

the car has a turbo that i dont know the specs of its custom atp ball bearing all he would say is its a 22g
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:11 pm

I'll weigh in on this, but can't back anything up with details.

When ringing around speaking with different tuners and workshops I mentioned <GB>'s Liberty to George and what had been done and history etc.

I was told the car was coming back with issues as when sold, via an auction house on trade in, the car had some parts possibly replaced to quieten it down, and detuned, by the buyer to help with roadworthiness or reselling it.

Again this is just what I gleaned from a phone conversation and by no means gospel.

Happy to stand corrected if <GB> has a different reason.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby <GB> » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:11 pm

bass_straitener wrote:I'll weigh in on this, but can't back anything up with details.

When ringing around speaking with different tuners and workshops I mentioned <GB>'s Liberty to George and what had been done and history etc.

I was told the car was coming back with issues as when sold, via an auction house on trade in, the car had some parts possibly replaced to quieten it down, and detuned, by the buyer to help with roadworthiness or reselling it.

Again this is just what I gleaned from a phone conversation and by no means gospel.

Happy to stand corrected if <GB> has a different reason.

im not sure if the guy did try and sell it privately, or if he put other parts back on, george told me the car is the way it was when they had it last bar some slight adjustments in the ecu on the fuel side, the owner traded the car in on a brand new audi rs8 and then my work purchaced the trade in from audi, the car was then sold to subaru docklands and they sent it back as nobody was aware of engine mods. At this stage a few guys were interested in it at work and the engine light kept coming on with the cruise light flashing which i cleared with a scan tool multiple times the car went to vinny and he had a look at it then we had it at our work for a few weeks before i purchaced it. once i purchaced the car i rang vinny who is mates with one of the dudes here and he said to send it to revzone
<GB>

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks for the update <GB> (Giant Brandon) :wink:

Yeah as I said I only asked George about your car when I was interviewing various workshops trying to source a tuner.

Perhaps give ATP a call if you'd like more info on your turbo.

ATP for all TURBO NEEDS - 1198 Dandenong Rd MURRUMBEENA Melbourne Victoria 3163 Australia (61-3) 9569 4764

Sounds pretty amazing what can happen to a car before it finds a new home once traded in.

Either way I'm keen to see how your car goes as I'm hoping you're over the moon with George and RevZone's work and I'm filled with confidence when i drop mine off to them on Wednesday.

Will off course keep you posted. At this stage I'm still waiting for my AVO dump pipe which is somewhere in transit.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby <GB> » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 pm

bass_straitener wrote:Thanks for the update <GB> (Giant Brandon) :wink:

Yeah as I said I only asked George about your car when I was interviewing various workshops trying to source a tuner.

Perhaps give ATP a call if you'd like more info on your turbo.

ATP for all TURBO NEEDS - 1198 Dandenong Rd MURRUMBEENA Melbourne Victoria 3163 Australia (61-3) 9569 4764

Sounds pretty amazing what can happen to a car before it finds a new home once traded in.

Either way I'm keen to see how your car goes as I'm hoping you're over the moon with George and RevZone's work and I'm filled with confidence when i drop mine off to them on Wednesday.

Will off course keep you posted. At this stage I'm still waiting for my AVO dump pipe which is somewhere in transit.

which forum did u see me on?

well my car will be getting done monday should be picking it up tue or wed

it is funny what can happen to cars once there traded, i see it all the time
<GB>

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Worked out who you were from Calaisturbo.

My car will be in on Wednesday and out Thursday. The dump pipe is on the way to TuSpeed so I'll have all the bits ready to go for Wednesday morning.

Any further update on your car from this arvo. Did they work on it? Any charts? And what are you planning on doing exhaust wise?

I'm pretty confident with Revzone especially if Vin has recommended them.

Will see what happens. Hopefully the car will be ready for Saturday's BBQ. Are you coming down?
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby <GB> » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Who are u over there?

My car will be ready next tue wed not this week :(

The dynoed it with the back section of the exhaust off and it made 10rwkm more than the original owners last dyno Plus they said the boost is up to where it was and the power curve was better, so that rear exhaust section cost 50kw and a few psi in boost
<GB>

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm not anyone on there. I just know how to search the internet very effectively. I work in IT.

I'll let you know how I go.

I'm planning on slowly getting my STI up to speed whilst trying to maintain the original look and the engine cover. Let's see how it goes.
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby <GB> » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Are u keeping the top mount cooler?
<GB>

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:44 pm

For the moment yes. I don't think I'll ever go for a front mount but may consider the AVO TMIC at a later stage.

I've spoken to George and he won't charge me the full retune price after each mod. Just an hourly rate for everything else I do.

I'll get the dump pipe, 3 port boost solenoid, panel filter and fuel pump fitted and tuned as the first stage. Then look at the TMIC, up pipe and see where that goes. This way it might be easier to get past the mrs.
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:05 pm

You would be better off looking at the centre section of the exhaust, that cat is pretty restrictive not to mention the Y-pipe which Barney @ HPE refers to as the pea shooters.
Unless you are changing the turbo you shouldn't need to change the up pipe, as I can't imagine that would be of much benefit at all.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods