MY04 Liberty GT - FrankenStien - EOI welcome / FS

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby legacydan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:19 pm

Why not just get a set of stock twin scroll headers from vf36 setup. I don't think the kando ones will be any better than them. I would go for the GT spec/ tomei headers and up pipe combo. Best you can get in terms of quality and flow.

Can you let me know where your getting your turbo from as I'm always on the look for upgrade options for my vf36 :)
User avatar
legacydan
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 9:48 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Car: Legacy b4 jdm import
Real name: Dan

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby dr20t » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks dan.

What makes you believe the oem ones will flow better? To be honest I doubt that would be the case unless you know something about the kando ones ??

In terms of upgrade, bbk twin scroll though Troy (prospeed racing on here) or gtpumps twin scroll will replace vf36.

On a side note what did your ap calipers and disc setup set u back?
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
User avatar
dr20t
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: South West Sydney NSW
Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Real name: Mick
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby teflon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Let me know if you end up going FMIC Mick :wink:
User avatar
teflon
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:17 pm
Location: SA
Car: 2004 MY05 Pearl White Liberty GT
Real name: Phan

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby dr20t » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:26 pm

teflon wrote:Let me know if you end up going FMIC Mick :wink:


No worries Phan. Trying to figure out my timing issue first then gonna make a decision on the top or front mount option.

Anyone running water spray for tmic here?
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
User avatar
dr20t
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: South West Sydney NSW
Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Real name: Mick
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby Rome_BRZ » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:19 pm

dr20t wrote:
teflon wrote:Let me know if you end up going FMIC Mick :wink:


No worries Phan. Trying to figure out my timing issue first then gonna make a decision on the top or front mount option.

Anyone running water spray for tmic here?


I'm considering running the cusco one but may end up with a FMIC so not sure.
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI
 
Posts: 4305
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Real name: Jerome
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby legacydan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:31 am

dr20t wrote:Thanks dan.

What makes you believe the oem ones will flow better? To be honest I doubt that would be the case unless you know something about the kando ones ??

In terms of upgrade, bbk twin scroll though Troy (prospeed racing on here) or gtpumps twin scroll will replace vf36.

On a side note what did your ap calipers and disc setup set u back?


When i was researching what headers and uppipe combo to use with my vf36, everyone recommended the stock ones as they are designed very well. The only ones that im aware of that are an actual improvement over the OEM ones are the Tomei/GT spec ones they have been proven to be better and results are available on their website. How much are the Kando ones setting you back? If i was to buy mine again, i would go for Tomei ones without a doubt. IF there is actual proven gains from the kando ones over the stock ones and they are cheaper i would go for them if not, stick with stock or go Tomei :)


AP calipers/discs cost me appox 2200 aud with Ferrodo pads and HEL lines all round

Must research these gtpumps/bbk turbos and see what would be a good upgrade for the vf36, great thing about the vf36 is the quick spool so a turbo that spools like that with more top end power would be perfect!
User avatar
legacydan
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 9:48 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Car: Legacy b4 jdm import
Real name: Dan

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby seanmau5 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 am

dr20t wrote:
teflon wrote:Let me know if you end up going FMIC Mick :wink:


No worries Phan. Trying to figure out my timing issue first then gonna make a decision on the top or front mount option.

Anyone running water spray for tmic here?


viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13584
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
User avatar
seanmau5
-stickered-
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:34 am
Location: Sydney, NSW
Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Real name: Sean
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby dr20t » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:30 pm

legacydan wrote:
dr20t wrote:Thanks dan.

What makes you believe the oem ones will flow better? To be honest I doubt that would be the case unless you know something about the kando ones ??

In terms of upgrade, bbk twin scroll though Troy (prospeed racing on here) or gtpumps twin scroll will replace vf36.

On a side note what did your ap calipers and disc setup set u back?


When i was researching what headers and uppipe combo to use with my vf36, everyone recommended the stock ones as they are designed very well. The only ones that im aware of that are an actual improvement over the OEM ones are the Tomei/GT spec ones they have been proven to be better and results are available on their website. How much are the Kando ones setting you back? If i was to buy mine again, i would go for Tomei ones without a doubt. IF there is actual proven gains from the kando ones over the stock ones and they are cheaper i would go for them if not, stick with stock or go Tomei :)


AP calipers/discs cost me appox 2200 aud with Ferrodo pads and HEL lines all round

Must research these gtpumps/bbk turbos and see what would be a good upgrade for the vf36, great thing about the vf36 is the quick spool so a turbo that spools like that with more top end power would be perfect!


Thanks dan - yeah the kando ones are 500 aud delivered so not too bad - but looks like ill be sticking to the oem ones for now with some modifications thanks to someone's influence !!

thats great for the ap setup - is that all around or just front calipers \ rotors?

can you poiint us in the right direction for these?

cheers
Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
User avatar
dr20t
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: South West Sydney NSW
Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Real name: Mick
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby hamish_023 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Also interested in the AP Racing brake upgrade :D
User avatar
hamish_023
 
Posts: 3608
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Adelaide
Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby hks180 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:06 am

It was nice to meet you last night !and look forward to the Liberty getting some work done !

And next time you taking your Gemini to the drag let me know i'll pop by have a look and hope you dip into 9s !!

Leo
[TEAM FUNERAL]
HID & LED >> CLICK HERE
User avatar
hks180
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Sydney

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby dr20t » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:28 am

THanks Leo - likewise mate great to meet you appreciate your time

Will definitely keep you in the loop although the gem looks like its 6 months away from being revived - just not enough time :(

Updated front page with mods list and plans

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
User avatar
dr20t
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: South West Sydney NSW
Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Real name: Mick
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby dr20t » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:10 am

Ok guys - spent a lot of time looking into the correct turbo for my setup

Now im looking to run 20psi of boost (maximum safe level from what i have read \ heard on stock internals), using e85 (which gives me a little more buffer but best to play it safe).

So working backward from the maximum boost threshold and where i want it to be at (ie full boost by no later than 3100rpm), the following is my methodology:

Essentially at 20psi, this equates to pressure ratio of 2.4 (boost of 20psi + ambient pressure of 14.7 = 34.7. You then divide this by ambient air press of 14.7)
= 2.36 (2.4 rounded)

EJ20 motor with peak rpm of 7000 would flow a maximum of 500cfm (boosted)

500cfm is approx equal to 38lbs \ min using metric conversion

Therefore by cross-referencing compressor maps, I have derived the following (please note these are purely my workings and not recommendations - just out of interest sake and also based only on garrett turbos which i am considering):

- appears the gt2860 (disco potato) with a 47mm inducer and 60mm exducer (60 trim) would be too small at the boost \ airflow levels required. That is it would be great for lower to mid range but not really hold boost right to redline. This turbo will be at 85% efficiency at 20psi at that flow rate - a little too inneficient for my liking.

- the gt2871r with 48 trim compressor will be in its 75% efficiency zone at the same boost levels, albeit will provide a bit more lag. The larger exducer (71mm) will however help with this lag, albeit the small trim of 48 will limit top end flow a little at 38lbs\min (nearing 6500-7000rpm)

- the gt2871r with 52 trim compressor would be PERFECT - the downside is this compressor is only available in two bolt inlet (ala Nissan style) and two bolt outlet. This has efficiency at about 70% albeit same size exducer with smaller inducer will allow it to come on boost ever so slightly earlier and pull almost all the way to redline.

So it looks like ill be going the gt2871 48 trim route guys, with 0.63 rear and external gate

Wish me luck

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
User avatar
dr20t
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: South West Sydney NSW
Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Real name: Mick
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby dr20t » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Met the phatman today for the first time - what a guy !

Now i know what all the hype was.

Met a few more guys from here too - great to have met you all- very nice bunch of blokes

Look forward to updating this thread in three weeks' time :twisted:

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
User avatar
dr20t
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: South West Sydney NSW
Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Real name: Mick
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby Penga » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:33 pm

oooo! im very interested in seeing how this will turn out! sounds like its going to be a beast !! do you have any photos
User avatar
Penga
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:02 am
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY07 Liberty GT-B Tuned By STi
Real name: Andrew
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14458

Re: MY04 Liberty GT - light mods

Postby dr20t » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:36 am

Not really a beast but just a little more powerful hopefully

No pics as yet (I'm lazy) but once everything is done will post some pics up.
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
User avatar
dr20t
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: South West Sydney NSW
Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Real name: Mick
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests