Member Profile - Rome - Final Update (pg 62)

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Rome - Final Update (pg 62)

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Man.. the S3 isnt the bees knees, just my opinion. Very nice on the inside! (pop up screen gets a touch annoying) Outside: Nice, although S3 is more aggressive than the a3, still fairly understated. Doesnt turn heads at all.
But as a drivers car its just alright. Its something like 195kw at the crank? very very tame kw.. typical germans do it through proper means and only slap on a turbo the size of a walnut. clutch is stupidly light. steering wheel and ride is quite good though. Nice car but 70k is alot of money! well for me :lol:

So while they have a bit of power there also quite heavy and wouldnt be upto spec with the feeling of a lib gt. I have a feeling you might be putting a bit of money into go fast if you buy it!
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Rome_BRZ » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:56 am

blacktop™ wrote:Have you sold the brz already?

How did the test drive go? Have you decided if you'll get one?

Have not sold the BRZ, but have put a deposit on the Audi and it arrives in April-May next year :)

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:Man.. the S3 isnt the bees knees, just my opinion. Very nice on the inside! (pop up screen gets a touch annoying) Outside: Nice, although S3 is more aggressive than the a3, still fairly understated. Doesnt turn heads at all.
But as a drivers car its just alright. Its something like 195kw at the crank? very very tame kw.. typical germans do it through proper means and only slap on a turbo the size of a walnut. clutch is stupidly light. steering wheel and ride is quite good though. Nice car but 70k is alot of money! well for me :lol:

So while they have a bit of power there also quite heavy and wouldnt be upto spec with the feeling of a lib gt. I have a feeling you might be putting a bit of money into go fast if you buy it!

Haha you're welcome to your opinion of course, everyone has one, but considering the Liberty STi was $65-70k back in the day (and I use to own one) I think I can make a pretty relevant comparison.

I like the fact that it's understated, hence why I originally owned a Liberty instead of a WRX, and why I decided against modifying the BRZ.

The S3 is actually 210kw at the crank, and is hardly tame. It's 0-100 in 5 seconds flat (albeit with launch control) and I'm getting the S-tronic not the manual as manual wasn't available when I ordered mine, so clutch isn't an issue. As for handling and weight, I actually think it feels lighter on the road than the Liberty and definitely outperforms it, google some videos the S3 holds it's own performance wise in a straight line and around the track.

All in all after 2 test drives (one of them was about an hour of driving) I am happy with my pending purchase and think it's definitely worth the $70k I'm paying for it especially considering it is completely optioned.
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby dr20t » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Engineering on the Audi is miles ahead of the Subaru of any kind

Whilst power is down in factory form, a few tweaks will remedy that very easily. There are several 2.0's in the vw/ Audi world making over 500whp on stock internals reliably. Show me a Subaru that can do that for more than 10,000kms (if that).

And I'm yet to see another engine (save for the Saturn mistubishi motor) that rivals the weak design of the ej255 that is in the post facelift Gtb.

Give me the direct injection, high tech, sturdy and overengineered donk of the VAG group anyday of the week.

The ride, steering feel and all else driver comfort related can also not be compared between the two

To clarify - I have been very vocally against European cars in the past in favour of jap cars. The recent offerings from VAG and Merc (last few years) has dramatically changed this view. And its evident when you look into the design and engineering brilliance that is applied to the drivetrain and chassis componentry of these two makes as compared with Subaru or others
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:08 pm

then if you happy, youre good to go :)

Sorry knew the aussie spec go detuned but i stand corrected 220kw down to 206kw (close enough to 210kw)
When i say tame i dont mean slow, its bloody quick bit of kit, but theres alot of electronics buzzing around and it feels ridiculously safe haha. Probably not much different to the liberty in that regard.
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:14 pm

And I'm yet to see another engine (save for the Saturn mistubishi motor) that rivals the weak design of the ej255 that is in the post facelift Gtb.

What about the 1.3 out of a 1998 festiva?

No doubt you made the transition for the same reason as my parent did (MY11 wrx).

keep in mind i have the mind of a 21yo hooligan so i think we may see differently :lol:
Last edited by GONEWALKABOUT on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Rome_BRZ » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:15 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:then if you happy, youre good to go :)

Sorry knew the aussie spec go detuned but i stand corrected 220kw down to 206kw (close enough to 210kw)
When i say tame i dont mean slow, its bloody quick bit of kit, but theres alot of electronics buzzing around and it feels ridiculously safe haha. Probably not much different to the liberty in that regard.

The 2014 is detuned to 206kw...the 2015 which is the one I'm taking delivery of, is actually 210kws :)
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:20 pm

The 2014 is detuned to 206kw...the 2015 which is the one I'm taking delivery of, is actually 210kws

Ahh my bad, didnt realise they changed it
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:29 pm

A good running healthy GTB post face will walk all over the above

Mick they are far from weak ...

All cars have their factory faults

My opinion
Newbie GT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:32 pm

Newbie GT wrote:A good running healthy GTB post face will walk all over the above

My opinion

Your opinion, but unfortunatley fact is they do suck. Old RBs and jzs will easily outperform stock vs stock (6cyl vs 4cyl yes, but look at the time difference)

I bought a subaru because i love them, i think like many here i live of the rally nostalgia, as well as the looks
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:36 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:
Newbie GT wrote:A good running healthy GTB post face will walk all over the above

My opinion

Your opinion, but unfortunatley fact is they do suck. Old RBs and jzs will easily outperform stock vs stock (6cyl vs 4cyl yes, but look at the time difference)

I bought a subaru because i love them, i think like many here i live of the rally nostalgia, as well as the looks

Clarify
Newbie GT

Postby dr20t » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:38 pm

My opinion

Far from weak compared to what? A straw?
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:43 pm

Newbie GT wrote:
GONEWALKABOUT wrote:

My opinion

Clarify

No sure quite what you need to be clarified?

try changing the spark plugs :lol:

I bought a Subaru because i have wanted one since i got my first job 5 years ago.
If i had wanted a car with the best fuel economy i would have gone else where.
If i wanted unbelievable power i would have gone else where.
If i wanted immortal durability i would have gone else where.
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:48 pm

Or gone walk about :)

Mick you are right on certain aspects of the engines but if the owners are getting a smile on their dial who cares each to their own :)

The Subaru drive train 6mt is rock solid
Newbie GT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:56 pm

This is good! probably the best thing about the spec b
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:57 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:

This is good! probably the best thing about the spec b

Maintain and tune right and you have a winner
Newbie GT

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods