Member Profile - NA84WA MY08 GT B Spec

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - NA84WA MY08 GT B Spec

Postby NA84WA » Fri May 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey Guys,

Ive been a member of the forum since October last year when i brought my car. I have enjoyed reading everyones journey of modding there Libertys and have found out so much information and used much of that information in doing a few minor mods on my lib, thought it was about time i posted up my experiences so far.

I brought this car due to its luxury and comfort and have kept this in mind when deciding on the mods i would undertake. I didnt want a noisey exhaust and a bone jarring ride as i believe this takes away from the type of car the liberty is, just my take on things. Anyway below is a bit of a list and explaination on what I've done so far. I will add a few photos and will post a few more when i get a chance to take some more. As i do a few more bits and piece i will update this post as i go.

Comments and criticism would be appricated, love to know what all you guys think :D

Hope you guys get as much enjoyment and insight reading about my car as i have with all of yours, so here it goes.......

Current 2.jpg
Current 2.jpg (123.58 KiB) Viewed 8177 times

Model: Subaru Liberty GT B spec
Year: 2008
Trans: Auto

Engine:
- AVO TMIC
- Grimmspeed 3 Port Boost Solenoid
- JDM Battery and ABS covers
- STI Oil Cap

AVO top mount in my opinion is a great piece of gear for the power application im running. Of course there are other options such as the Perrin or Hyperflow for a bigger core but fitting can be a bit of a pain according to what i have read on various forums. The AVO fits up extremely well and hides nicely under the engine cover with only minimal trimming of the engine cover required. The boost solenoid is also great piece of gear and the price is only $130. Some might say why not go for a fully controllable boost management but this unit its more about holding the boost steady all the way through the rev range and tuning it allows for boost to come on earlier. Ill explain more in the tune part of my post further down the page. The rest of the stuff is just engine bay bling and tidys everything up a little bit from the OEM standard the liberty comes with in Australia.

Intake:
- HKS Panel Filter
- HKS Bell Mouth Intake Pipe (Goes where resonator was)
- Prova Air Guide

I looked into a pod type filter set up but read more people were getting better results out of the factory airbox. I started out with the HKS Panel Filter as the factory Subaru one was a rip off and the HKS one could be reused!! I found it made a nice whistle while on boost. I then read the resonectomy thread here and decided to remover my resonator and install the HKS Bell Mouth intake. This gives the airbox two points for air to enter and made that nice turbo whistle even more pronounced which i love. I then added the Prova air guide really just for good measure, not sure if it does much but was something that came on the Japanese model so i thought why not!!

Exhaust:
- PHAT GT Ceramic Coated Dump Pipe

Excellent piece of engineering in this dump pipe. Quality is top notch. If you buy any other dump pipe on the market your not getting the same quality as this. Definately recommended mod.

Suspension/Tyres/Rims:
- Swift Sports Springs
- Hankook Ventus V12 K110 225/40/18

These springs took me ages to decide on as i looked at many other options but was concerned about ride comfort so i had to choose very carefully. I wasnt interested in going with a super low ride height as i knew with that i would be getting a rough ride. My goal was to lower the car a tad just to toughen the stance and look of the car and i think these have worked a treat. These springs ride better than the factory springs on the bilsteins and after installing was an even drop of 20mm on front and rear. Id say now after a couple of months that its dropped another 5mm on front and rear. Can be purchased from Nick at Entra Imports otherwise if he doesnt have any stock you can get them on ebay out of the US for about $520 shipped. I know tyres aren't really a modification but i just wanted to provide some info on them because i think they are great. Although these tyres aren't designed for cars that are track weapons they perform extremely well on the road. Ride is definately way more comfortable than the OEM Bridgestones and they are extremely quiet. I paid through the nose for these tyres compared to what i could of had them shipped from the US but i was in desperate need of a new set and had a big trip coming up that weekend and needed them ASAP!! They can be had for $129 a corner out of the US from tirerack.com or i paid $325 locally in Perth which was the best price i could find

Exterior:
- STI Honeycomb Style Grill
- 5000K HID Globes
- LED Parking Lights
- LED Number Plate Lights

Grille sourced from PHAT GT. His price was about 70 bucks cheaper including shipping than the quote from Japan Parts without shipping. Thanks Michael!! Globes for sourced from Leo. Top bloke he is and his sales service is the best, thanks Leo!! 5000K globes provide a pure white light compared to the OEM globes which give of a yellowish colour.

Interior:
- ECU Datascan
- Subaru Aux input cable
- 35% tint on driver and passenger doors
- Coin holder (Where fuse box cover was)
- Side Cargo Nets (Group buy from Arith)
- Interior LED lights from Leo (Map, dome and doors)
- Clear door light lens covers (Didn't think much of the red ones!!)

ECU datascan is a great piece of gear. Keeps an eye on all the parameters that the factory ECU is reading and also can be used as a GPS. Other things are just added for a bit of convience, comfort and looks, although the difference in the shades of the front tint and the rear privacy glass is starting to annoy me more and more each day!!

Tune:
- Verso by All Star Garage

The tune sheet im showing below is from the inital tune with only HKS panel filter and PHAT dump pipe. After i had fitted the AVO TMIC and Grimmspeed 3 Port Boost Solenoid i had the car retuned by Sean at ASG (top bloke by the way!!). On the day the HP figure was down 20hp but that figure is not really a true indication of the power the car is actually making because it was raining and humid on that day. But the car made 50nm more torque with full boost reached by 2700rpm at the full 15-16 psi and holds pretty much until 5500rpm before tapering off. Upon driving the car after the retune it was a massive difference in power in my opinion with the TMIC and the solenoid. Boost comes on so hard and really low down where i can use it. Money definately well spent and would recommend the solenoid to anyone who wants a steady, predicatable and controllable boost.

Dyno readout below
Dyno Readout.jpg
Dyno Readout.jpg (103.31 KiB) Viewed 8314 times

Future Mod Planning (MAYBE!!!)
- Zero Sports Cool Action Hood Scoop Insert
- Zero Sports or STI Radiator Cap
- STI Flexible Strut Bar
- PHAT GT Lower Control Arm Bushes
- Rota Gravel 18x8 Rims
- Tint redone to match privacy glass

Cant fit all my photos on one post guys so as i have done the mods i've added them throughout the thread, Thanks.

Pictures:
Stock.JPG
Stock.JPG (102.11 KiB) Viewed 8247 times

Before Springs.JPG
Before Springs.JPG (90.51 KiB) Viewed 8247 times

Battery ABS Covers.JPG
Battery ABS Covers.JPG (117.51 KiB) Viewed 8247 times

Prova Air Guide.JPG
Prova Air Guide.JPG (106.69 KiB) Viewed 8177 times
Last edited by NA84WA on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NA84WA

Car: Subaru Liberty MY08 GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12211

Re: Member Profile - NA84WA MY08 GT B Spec

Postby Arith » Fri May 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Looks great, Nick! Nice work on the car! Excellent work providing feedback on your mods as well, as it gives others insight and opinions on what's available out there.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby Devour » Fri May 06, 2011 10:10 pm

Hey Mate,

Just read everything you wrote on your page. Looks good, very informative and very helpful. Very well laid out modifications as well as the write up, keep up the good work!
Devour

Car: R34 GTR V-Spec / MY07 2.5i

Postby Gambit » Fri May 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Very nice ride !
where did you get the prova airguide from and how much ?
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Postby Kekotic » Fri May 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Gambit wrote:Very nice ride !

Judging by him getting the grille from PHAT, I'm guessing he also got this from PHAT too.
I have one, and I noticed the difference, but barely. Good supporting mod though I guess.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby NA84WA » Sat May 07, 2011 2:29 am

Arith wrote:Looks great, Nick! Nice work on the car! Excellent work providing feedback on your mods as well, as it gives others insight and opinions on what's available out there.

Thanks Jim. Cheers for organising that group buy on the cargo nets, boot is a lot neater and stuff isnt flying around making banging noises when i give it a bit of gas!!
NA84WA

Postby NA84WA » Sat May 07, 2011 2:36 am

Gambit wrote:Very nice ride !

I got it off Phat mate. Check out the link below. I believe this was an OEM option on the Liberty in Japan but never was included here. When i recieved it from Phat it came with instructions and it said it was made by Prova, so who knows!! Ive also seen them somewhere else made by Prova on a website just cant remember which one but i do remember they were cheaper from Phat.

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5483
NA84WA

Postby Gambit » Sat May 07, 2011 10:26 am

thanks, might try and fab one myself.
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Postby Dropz » Sun May 08, 2011 1:58 am

Very nice mod list! That's the way I'd one day like mine done, thought out and to my taste but to still have a very stock look/feel.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby Lib 3.0LR » Sun May 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Nice car Nick well done,can I ask you where did you get the HKS Bell Mouth intake from and does this just slip under the existing hole where the resonator is.
Another Nob question what does the... HKS Bell Mouth intake... look like :oops: and will it work on a 3.0L
Cheers George
Silver wagon MY06 3.0LR/18' STI Enkei rims/STI front lip/STI pedels/STI mufflers/STI flexible bar/HKS panel air filter/Clarion CeNET iPod interface EA1251 /HID lights-fogs 6000k/Led parkers/Bilstien- Eibach springs / Corazon Grill /Brembo's-Dixel pads/goodride-brakelines./Cusco: BRAKE CYLINDER STOPPER /.Valenti Japan LED Tail Light/In Car PC,JDM Front Bar /KiDo Tune more TBA ?[size=85]
Lib 3.0LR

Car: MY06 LIBERTY 3.0LR WAGON.

Postby Ben » Sun May 08, 2011 1:36 pm

Lib 3.0LR wrote:Nice car Nick well done,can I ask you where did you get the HKS Bell Mouth intake from and does this just slip under the existing hole where the resonator is.

x2 very interested in this mod as I have no garage or area to DIY
Visit Sex Shop & Support My Mods.
Ben

Car: 2.0 STi

Postby NA84WA » Sun May 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Lib 3.0LR wrote:Nice car Nick well done,can I ask you where did you get the HKS Bell Mouth intake from and does this just slip under the existing hole where the resonator is.
Another Nob question what does the... HKS Bell Mouth intake... look like :oops: and will it work on a 3.0L
Cheers George

I brought its off the website i will mention below. Came in a week but looking at it now they dont have any in stock. Maybe email PHAT GT and he may be able to source you one. Even thought it says for WRX STI this can fit pretty much any subaru airbox. Just clips straight in where the resonator was and takes cold air from the wheel arch. It looks very OEM aswell not that you can see it anyway!!

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/HKS-Air-Intake-Funnel-for-Factory-Airbox-Subaru-STI-2008-2011
NA84WA

Postby teK-- » Sun May 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Could make the same thing out of PVC pipe for a few dollars?
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Sun May 08, 2011 2:08 pm

For that sort of price though you would be better off getting something fabricated which funnels the air all the way from the fog light surround
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby NA84WA » Sun May 08, 2011 3:08 pm

teK-- wrote:Could make the same thing out of PVC pipe for a few dollars?

chaotic2050 wrote:For that sort of price though you would be better off getting something fabricated which funnels the air all the way from the fog light surround

Fair call, but i rather something that looks OEM instead of having a big piece of white PVC pipe in my front gaurd!! But it would definately be easy to manufacture something there with a few cheap materials from bunnings and a few hours spare, just depends on what your after i guess :D
NA84WA

Next

Return to Post your mods