Member Profile - Ferret

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Ferret

Postby THE SpecB » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:37 pm

Well Alexi ? No comment ?
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:14 pm

THE SpecB wrote:Well Alexi ? No comment ?

Hey, sorry mate - are you asking about XForce? I honestly don't know? You could measure it :)

Don't think it would make a big difference either way, as long as the y pipe is nicer flowing/larger than stock, because stock y pipe is terrible.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby ferret89 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:52 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:
ferret89 wrote:Very interesting thanks Alexei.

So what is your opinion on running a 3" DP and Mid to a 2.5" Y to the small inlet STI quads (1.75" I think) on a car doing under 200atw?

Hey Daniel, it's quite a common setup, for whatever reason the Sti quads are a popular choice, and it's worked quite well for most people

If the car is tuned accordingly by a careful tuner, there wouldn't be any problems. Overall maybe you're not optimising the 5kw you might get with bigger mufflers, but I'd say the noise isn't worth 5kw.

Once you go to a bigger turbo and/or E85 - you'd want to open up some more flow, but on stock or even vf52 on 98, should be adequate. We're lucky to have dual exhaust on the lib (we don't have to run a giant cannon muff) :D

Cheers Alexei, thanks for all your help.

I know I probably seem to be overthinking a simple exhaust a bit but it's just how I work :lol: I like getting as much feedback and advice as I can

I've booked it in to have this fitted, I'm confident it will benefit overall flow and not increase noise/drone too much. Not expecting much of a power hike, maybe only a few kw but some extra torque down low and mid range is always welcome
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:42 pm

So your going to accept the blunt edge transition? You realise it will be a ~12.7mm step down - imagine the disruption to airflow. I spoke with Chris from Best Mufflers about this a year or so back and he agreed with me and recommended against it.

Either way I will be interested to see how you get on. There is some good information in one of my old threads from a tonne of forum members 'Weak Links in Gen4 Exhaust' which may be of use.

THE SpecB I am convinced you are NewbieGT. Call it a conspiracy :shock:.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby THE SpecB » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:27 am

Shaheenis wrote:So your going to accept the blunt edge transition? You realise it will be a ~12.7mm step down - imagine the disruption to airflow. I spoke with Chris from Best Mufflers about this a year or so back and he agreed with me and recommended against it.

Either way I will be interested to see how you get on. There is some good information in one of my old threads from a tonne of forum members 'Weak Links in Gen4 Exhaust' which may be of use.

Tim I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself. Don't assume or speculate. I am not another forum member so stop stating I am.
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:23 pm

It is the first time I have mentioned it so you may also have me confused with someone else :P. No offence intended just an observation.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby ferret89 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:32 pm

Shaheenis wrote:So your going to accept the blunt edge transition? You realise it will be a ~12.7mm step down - imagine the disruption to airflow. I spoke with Chris from Best Mufflers about this a year or so back and he agreed with me and recommended against it.

I haven't heard back from Trevor yet but it's not booked in till end of next week so there's no hurry.

I'm confident that the transition from free flowing Y-pipe to restricting STI quads won't be too much of a big deal. Worst case I won't gain any benefits other than noise and best case is that I will see small gains in performance and sound. Ideally for power I'd be swapping the mufflers for better ones but I'm going to see how it sounds and goes after this before I think about that.
ferret89

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Did you manage to get just the centre and Y pipe? If you get a chance, take some verniers and measure the ID on the Y-pipe - inside the pipe, not the flange. I have an idea :idea:.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Hey Budd just had a read through your thread. Some bad luck with the paint hopefully ended up with results you were happy with. Sounds like you think things through mate, some good stuff and a good read
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby ferret89 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Did you manage to get just the centre and Y pipe? If you get a chance, take some verniers and measure the ID on the Y-pipe - inside the pipe, not the flange. I have an idea :idea:.

Negative, Trevor ordered the cat-back for me for the same price that Best mufflers could do it for minus the postage costs though so I took that.

I'll measure the ID when I get the chance and let you know. I would assume that the Y-pipe wouldn't be 3" all the way though..

Thanks Daniel I've definitely had a few dramas with it but it's going great now :D
ferret89

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:01 pm

ferret89 wrote:
Thanks Daniel I've definitely had a few dramas with it but it's going great now :D

I dont think itd be as well deserved if we didnt have set backs along the way. Im finding it more of a rarity to have smooth sailing in the modification game
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby ferret89 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:29 pm

XForce Cat-back installed today to my STI quads. Sounds nice and deep, volume increased for sure but I didn't find it too loud or intrusive on the drive home. Trevor welded on new flanges to the Y-pipe that reduced ID smoothly to the quad muffler flanges, he thought that was the best solution rather than to cut up the mufflers. I didn't measure the pipes but it looked like it was 3" all the way to the Y and then decreased to at least 2.5" possibly even 2.25" so should definitely flow a fair bit better through there. Not too impressed by the weld quality on the XForce pipes though, I suppose the old saying you get what you pay for holds true here...

Warning: A lot of photos

IMG_1686.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG (99.56 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1687.JPG (100.01 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

Stock cat-back section: Looking a bit thin and rusty, notice the crushed area near the Y

IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG (98.41 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG (95.59 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1685.JPG (87.19 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG (96.83 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

XForce cat-back: Aluminised mild steel or some kind of coating? Check those welds though :o

IMG_1680.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG (91.16 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

IMG_1699.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG (87.53 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

Shot from the rear of the Stock vs XForce Y-pipe
ferret89

Postby ferret89 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Also took a few quick shots of the CES dump and cat while the car was on the hoist :D

IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG (124.57 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

IMG_1690.JPG
IMG_1690.JPG (119.75 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
ferret89

Postby Shaheenis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:49 pm

Dan, stock Y-pipes are 1.5". It is good to see you made some effort to tapper the connection as it will help but based on the pictures of the transition there would still be a decent step down. Looking at your photos (thanks for posting all of these) it doesn't look like there would be any easy way of improving it with stock mufflers.

How different is the sound? Is it what you were hoping for?
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby ferret89 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:48 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Dan, stock Y-pipes are 1.5". It is good to see you made some effort to tapper the connection as it will help but based on the pictures of the transition there would still be a decent step down. Looking at your photos (thanks for posting all of these) it doesn't look like there would be any easy way of improving it with stock mufflers.

How different is the sound? Is it what you were hoping for?

Unless you were to replace the whole inlet pipe + flange on both mufflers and taper it from say 1.75" to 2.25" by the time it connects to the Y pipe or something?

It sounds great, much more noticeable boxer rumble and much deeper. I'll post up a video tomorrow or on Sunday the same way I did the other video to directly compare. The journey home is about 20km on the highway and I didn't notice any annoying drone or anything and it should only quieten down from here once it carbons up.
ferret89

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods