Member profile - Chook

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member profile - Chook

Postby chook » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Oh yes this excites me a lot :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
chook

Car: MY04 liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19501

Postby frank_ster » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:47 am

just throw the head gasket on scribe where the bore is and then grind untill you get there ! .

but that little lip can be a quench area that promotes turbulance in the chamber for better burn and more low end torque! so there are a million different reasons to do it and not to do it!
frank_ster

Car: liberty with buick 3.8 v6 turbo

Postby dr20t » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:38 am

frank_ster wrote:just throw the head gasket on scribe where the bore is and then grind untill you get there ! .

but that little lip can be a quench area that promotes turbulance in the chamber for better burn and more low end torque! so there are a million different reasons to do it and not to do it!

I see your point but i disagree, frank - a sharp edge like that does not promote the right type of turbulence

It's a sharp edge that will act like a wick in a high pressure high temp situation. At peak cylinder pressure (which is at the point of engine mean torque - the highest potential detonation point), the mixture is quite heated from the natural compression and forces at play. Add the dynamic of a rough edge to work around, and you can pretty much bet that edge will be a flashpoint and incite preignition. At the very least, it will reduce your potential total timing.

In my other car, when we did the head work first time around, we ported the intake and exhaust, larger valves etc but didn't remove casting marks in combustion chamber as the machinist said these will promote better burn

On dyno the max timing we could run was 32 degrees

When I change the rods and headgasket, I sent the head off again to have combustion chamber machined to remove all casting marks, smoothened, refinished and polished.

Next time on dyno we ran 38 degrees of timing with a higher compression ratio (we changed from copper headgasket to mls and went from 7.8:1 static compression to 8.1:1)
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby frank_ster » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:24 am

well its very debate able indeed.
frank_ster

Car: liberty with buick 3.8 v6 turbo

Postby kiahatsiu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:39 am

FWIW I intend on getting my combustion chambers machined to match the shape of the heads used on the STI ej257s, which should get around all of these issues. So, i guess I agree with what the Dr is saying here.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby chook » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Maybe machine one side only and do a half/half comparison haha
chook

Postby dr20t » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:32 pm

chook wrote:Maybe machine one side only and do a half/half comparison haha

:shock:

Just take one off altogether
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby kiahatsiu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Simultaneous back to back testing.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby chook » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Well finally got my bronze alloy bushes done today thanks to Frankster, my mechanic said they should be a welcome addition and fitment was perfect, hopefully my trans won't need any more attention.

Also fitted my new Apexi air filter and MAF pipe courtesy of Garage 88, another great product with now fitting issues at all.

in desperate need of some new tyre's, I'm thinking Ku31 225 40 18 the cheapest place I've found being St George tyre's off eBay at $600 for 4 + $70 shipping, manufactured in 2012.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (119.61 KiB) Viewed 3560 times
chook

Postby Rome_BRZ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:13 pm

chook wrote:Well finally got my bronze alloy bushes done today thanks to Frankster, my mechanic said they should be a welcome addition and fitment was perfect, hopefully my trans won't need any more attention.

Also fitted my new Apexi air filter and MAF pipe courtesy of Garage 88, another great product with now fitting issues at all.

in desperate need of some new tyre's, I'm thinking Ku31 225 40 18 the cheapest place I've found being St George tyre's off eBay at $600 for 4 + $70 shipping, manufactured in 2012.

Hey chook do you mind me asking how much the install on the bushes cost you and who did it? Also how long it took?
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby chook » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Rome_STI wrote:
chook wrote:Well finally got my bronze alloy bushes done today thanks to Frankster, my mechanic said they should be a welcome addition and fitment was perfect, hopefully my trans won't need any more attention.

Hey chook do you mind me asking how much the install on the bushes cost you and who did it? Also how long it took?

Will do buddy once he's emailed me the invoice ill let you know. John from Capital Mechanical is the one, he does all my servicing and mild modifications here in Canberra, he did his trade at a transmission place so he knows his shit, he's previously re-built my planetary set, increased the line pressure via the valve body and obviously fitted the bushes, top bloke.
chook

Postby chook » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Painted the good old stockies today whilst my enkies are getting a refurb but I'm really digging the look so I might leave these on for a little longer.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (141.41 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
chook

Postby cruisn » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:14 pm

I like it. :D

IF you paint the centre caps also......
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby chook » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 pm

cruisn wrote:I like it. :D

IF you paint the centre caps also......

Haha tried that, looked a bit too much black to me, but when I cleaned the paint off it kept the black in the Subaru emblem which I like.
chook

Postby chook » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Well and truly time to update I think, took the lib upto Garage 88 for a major service and was supposed to get across to insight for a re-tune post header install.......but I may have been talked into getting a new turbo!
So new mod list includes:

Twist mounted GTX3071R
Tial external wastegate
3" custom inlet
And all the other bits and bobs that go with it.

Haven't had the car for a couple weeks now and I can honestly say, the thing I miss the most is the Auto. Such a pleasure to drive at 5:30am with a scalding hot coffee dribbling down your fingers as you change gears cause the old work crappa doesn't have cup holders!

Just thought I'd share my exciting news.
Will let you guys know dyno results in a couple more weeks.
Yeew!!
chook

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods