Member Profile - Manaz

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Manaz

Postby Manaz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:49 pm

shav wrote:no, I was never under the impression of wrapping the box entirely either. Just to the hot side of the box. But going by the other thread, senator mentioned it could cause an issue and be a detriment to the auto box. Protection of the box and cv boots are of the main concern here. Doing it well and inexpensive are also the issue.

I would be surprised if a strip of heat-reflective material that ran down the side of the auto box adjacent to the dump pipe would cause issues (as the rest of the auto box's surface area can still radiate heat just fine - and if you were really worried about reducing the surface radiation of heat from the gearbox, you could add a heatsink to improve it and counter the loss. But that's getting pretty extreme, and probably going past the point where you're getting good return on investment. :)

I've seen figures of ~30% reduction in surface temperature quoted for ceramic coated turbos/exhaust components. That's a pretty substantial reduction,and given the cost, I think worth chasing.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby shav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:54 pm

it certainly is. Especially if you are chasing big numbers. I would definitely go down that path if I was pushing over 200kwatw AND doing track days.

Seeing as I am not and the car is mainly for street use, I reckon some self adhesive heat shield to the hot side of the trans might be worthwhile, and perhaps some to the cat to help reduce the heat radiating towards the cv boots.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Newbie GT » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:36 pm

shav wrote:it certainly is. Especially if you are chasing big numbers. I would definitely go down that path if I was pushing over 200kwatw AND doing track days.

Seeing as I am not and the car is mainly for street use, I reckon some self adhesive heat shield to the hot side of the trans might be worthwhile, and perhaps some to the cat to help reduce the heat radiating towards the cv boots.

What wrap Shav ?
Newbie GT

Postby shav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:51 pm

Newbie GT wrote:
shav wrote:it certainly is. Especially if you are chasing big numbers. I would definitely go down that path if I was pushing over 200kwatw AND doing track days.

What wrap Shav ?

This one
http://www.zircotec.com.au/ordering.htm
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks for linking the pics. I wrote a loooong reply aimed at saving people $$ and time, but then I decided this was the wrong thread for that.

I'll just say that IMO (judging by the pics and customer feedback on the new invidia dump) - it's a very disappointing "new and specific to 5eat" design. If you seriously want to reduce heat on the auto box, buy a different dump or rework this one to move it further away. That pretty much makes it cheaper to just buy an x force.

That thing doesn't look safe, and there's no room for wrap and even ceramic coating - it's already so close to touching. I seriously hope shav posts some better looking install pics, otherwise people should stop promoting this thing as the best dump for the auto. :banned:
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Newbie GT » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:20 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Thanks for linking the pics. I wrote a loooong reply aimed at saving people $$ and time, but then I decided this was the wrong thread for that.

I'll just say that IMO (judging by the pics and customer feedback on the new invidia dump) - it's a very disappointing "new and specific to 5eat" design. If you seriously want to reduce heat on the auto box, buy a different dump or rework this one to move it further away. That pretty much makes it cheaper to just buy an x force.

That thing doesn't look safe, and there's no room for wrap and even ceramic coating - it's already so close to touching. I seriously hope shav posts some better looking install pics, otherwise people should stop promoting this thing as the best dump for the auto. :banned:

It is a serious rubbish solution and agree the closeness is well to close ...asking for trouble
Newbie GT

Postby Manaz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Thanks for linking the pics. I wrote a loooong reply aimed at saving people $$ and time, but then I decided this was the wrong thread for that.

Talking to Michael South, XForce don't make a dump to suit the AUDM 5EAT model (that doesn't require additional mods). XForce themselves won't confirm that their dumps suit.
Manaz

Postby Manaz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Newbie GT wrote:It is a serious rubbish solution and agree the closeness is well to close ...asking for trouble

On what do you base this opinion? I'm not trying to be facetious here - if you have expertise in this area, or even second-hand knowledge, I'd be keen to hear it.
Manaz

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Manaz wrote:

Talking to Michael South, XForce don't make a dump to suit the AUDM 5EAT model (that doesn't require additional mods). XForce themselves won't confirm that their dumps suit.

I was assuming as much when I wrote that :) I mean - if you're going to cut and weld the pipe - it would be easier/cheaper to lengthen an x force or tcp, than having to twist/shift the invidia to the side. And judging by those Invidia pics - you should seriously consider moving that pipe over.

I had a manual TCP dump re-worked - it only needed the second oxygen sensor hole moved and the dump securing bracket moved. Since we only use the secondary sensor for the cat effciency - you could just skip the pipe mod, leave it unplugged, and disable the CEL. The bracket modification should be minimal = cheap. The clearance on the auto should be much better, I might be able to take some pics this week (car is away, engine out). You can ask MSR about what the x force needs, should be similar.

In terms of performance, TCP normally do a 200cel cat in the dump, you'd be better of with 100cel and having it lower in the dump or after the dump. Hence my suggestion for x force.
alexeiwoody

Postby dr20t » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:00 pm

I wouldn't worry about the heat affecting the 5eat. If you're concerned about trans oil temp then run a trans cooler that would be better than wrapping / heat adhesiving (sic) the box

Or as others have said if the pipe is that close to the trans, grab another dump pipe - one can be made up quite simply by any competent exhaust place once you buy the turbo back Hotside flange. You can even buy the flange with about 6 inches of 3" tube cast into it from kando / kinugawa last time I checked. That would be say $100, and another $300-$400 for an exhaust place to fab up the rest of the dump pipe with a cat in mild steel. Add $150 or so for ceramic coating - bam done

That's my advice but kudos to you for thinking of other ways to make this work

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Newbie GT » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Manaz wrote:
Newbie GT wrote:It is a serious rubbish solution and agree the closeness is well to close ...asking for trouble

On what do you base this opinion? I'm not trying to be facetious here - if you have expertise in this area, or even second-hand knowledge, I'd be keen to hear it.

The closeness of the dump to trans is ridiculous rob..

There must me an alternative or can the cat be relocated on say a flex joint..
Newbie GT

Postby Manaz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Newbie GT wrote:The closeness of the dump to trans is ridiculous rob..

I'm not saying I disagree. :)

I'm trying to find out if the pics linked earlier are for the "old" design, or the "new" design. If they're the new design, that is a bit of a worry, as there's enough room in there that you'd think they'd move the whole thing.

That said, if you take a look at PSR's post here (made December 2013), they link to pics of a design which has the catalytic converter at the rear-end of the pipe. Added to that, when I first contacted PSR about their dump pipe (based on this page (I was asking if the wastegate splitter was included), I was told that the photo was of the wrong dump pipe.

What I'm going to do is ask PSR directly which pic is accurate, and if it's the one with the cat mounted high (next to the gearbox), ask how that got past testing.

I'll keep people informed of the response I get (PSR have been excellent in responding to queries thus far).
Manaz

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:31 am

Manaz wrote:
Newbie GT wrote:The closeness of the dump to trans is ridiculous rob..

I'm not saying I disagree. :)

I'm trying to find out if the pics linked earlier are for the "old" design, or the "new" design. If they're the new design, that is a bit of a worry, as there's enough room in there that you'd think they'd move the whole thing.

That said, if you take a look at PSR's post here (made December 2013), they link to pics of a design which has the catalytic converter at the rear-end of the pipe. Added to that, when I first contacted PSR about their dump pipe (based on this page (I was asking if the wastegate splitter was included), I was told that the photo was of the wrong dump pipe.

What I'm going to do is ask PSR directly which pic is accurate, and if it's the one with the cat mounted high (next to the gearbox), ask how that got past testing.

I'll keep people informed of the response I get (PSR have been excellent in responding to queries thus far).

This just gets more interesting by the minute...both dumps are different to the install pics you linked before. If it is indeed the one with the cat later in the dump - :good:. That thing will flow very well, compared to that dump cat catastrophe they like to make for the lib.

Troy is pretty good with communication, but omg so slow to ship....3 weeks for turbo parts....then arrived by express??...now 7 days after he said he sent the tmic....still nothing...and no tracking numbers :alcoholic:

I wish Mark "cruisn" would open his own automotive store....I'd buy everything through him. Or myself. :mrgreen:

Newbie - a flex joint won't remedy that pipe....it's about the bend of the bellmouth to the side, as you can see from their CAD model. They were so up in arms about getting their very 1st pipe design to fit the steering knuckle, that it looks like they didn't even consider that their whole design may be flawed for the lib. Kind of wondering if they've even tested it on our cars.... :twisted:
alexeiwoody

Postby shav » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:48 am

I spoke to the OP of that thread in the link I posted up and he says he hasnt had any issues thus far with his gearbox with the cat being so close. It's definitely a concern, but one would think only if you looking to track the car to the point where the cat heats up and remains severely hot for a prolonged period of time.

That said, would a trans cooler be a better option as Alexei suggested over heat wrapping if preserving the gearbox is the concern?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Manaz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:12 pm

shav wrote:I spoke to the OP of that thread in the link I posted up and he says he hasnt had any issues thus far with his gearbox with the cat being so close. It's definitely a concern, but one would think only if you looking to track the car to the point where the cat heats up and remains severely hot for a prolonged period of time.

That said, would a trans cooler be a better option as Alexei suggested over heat wrapping if preserving the gearbox is the concern?

A transmission cooler is never a bad idea IMHO. If your car has a genuine Subaru tow bar (as part of the dealer-fitted tow pack), you may already have one.
Manaz

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods