'08 BL9 2.5i. '91 BC6 awd and turbo conversion.

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: '08 BL9 2.5i. '91 BC6 awd and turbo conversion.

Postby rexhunta » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:19 pm

So just a small update.

All the fmic piping is done, and got the intake side sussed out, just waiting on a pod to afm adaptor and I can finish off that section, also need to add 2 bungs for the catch cans, once I work out where I am going to mount them. Fitted the Tomei FPR.

Pulled the interior out and gave it a decent vacuum before starting to rip the TCM.

And then pulling it out.

I have also made all the dump pipe to the crossover under the gearbox in 3", waiting on a new bung for my AEM wideband to arrive and I can get that in.

Pulled the rear subframe, dropped the tank slightly and got all the lines sorted, got the filler neck back in and subframe back in the car as well.

and my favourite. I pulled the deck out so I can get a couple of the lights repaired by Dad, he has repaired these before. Decks fine for me, has AUX input, works well and have some limited controls but radio works.

Pete.
rexhunta

Car: 2008 Gen 4 BL9, 1991 Gen 1 BC

Postby rexhunta » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:27 am

So last couple days have been a flog-a-thon, but It starts, it runs, it spins all 4, and most importantly, it has no extra neutrals in the box !

https://youtube.com/shorts/Vm2U-saEdKg?feature=share

I sorted out the last of the wiring, the neutral position switch, reverse lights and the starter bypass from the auto. ATM it's only got the front pipe on, i will try and get to the exhaust shop today and grab some more gear if i have time.

Also need to make another subharness for the factory o2 sensor, where it sits now is too short, and finish wiring in the aem wideband, I do have great vacuum on idle though, sits about -21mmhg, pretty happy with that.

Getting closer.
rexhunta

Postby Yowie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:14 pm

Great work. Must be a big relief to see it run.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby rexhunta » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:21 am

Yowie wrote:Great work. Must be a big relief to see it run.

Definitely a big relief knowing I had the motor in a few bits !

Few bits and pieces done now.

Wiring is now all complete and done, ran through the CEL codes and pretty much the 2 that came up were all to do with just earthing on the engine itself. Clutch wiring all sorted for the cruise control, and sorted out the fuel gauge for the bugeye fuel tank which now works with my stock gauge.

Idle has settled, fuel has settled now, aem wideband now completely installed, just having trouble where i want to put the boost gauge. I modified my aem when I had it in the gen 4 so now has rs232 serial output, so also trying to work out where to hide that so it's easily accessible.

3" exhaust is all made, has a Hooker muffler on the back and sounds a lot better, has a deep dak dak dak on idle.

Made the subharness for the o2 sensor from 2 sensors cables, i had both female and male plugged sensors from other car sitting on the racks, so was lucky there.

Still trying to chase the unicorn, a manual tailshaft for the gen 1, but having quite a bit of trouble, i'm trying to steer clear of just getting the bugeye tailshaft extended at this point, I am sure i'll find one at some point.

Swapped the rear calipers over to the bugeye calipers and rotors as well, as they had brand new pads and and decent looking rotors, brakes bled and handbrakes cables are now installed and tightened up.

Went to get the electric speed sensor out of the box so i can fit in the mechanical speedo cable, but ended up snapping in half, so will have to wait until box is back out to get the rest of the sensor out.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:47 pm

RS Tailshaft is now in, had to swap the rear yoke over to the 2.5RS yoke as it had different patterns.

Yesterday morning drove the car around the block again and kept coming up with CEL 24 which is to do with speed/rev/engine load, so last night at 8pm decided to drop the lot out.

I tapped the starter motor so it now has 2 bolts, fixed the dump pipe, managed to get the rest of the broken speedo sensor out of the box.
The thread was a bit fucked afterwards so managed to repair it enough that the speedo cable from the gen 1 threaded up nicely. Modified the cam that goes into the actual speedo pickup in the box and got it all working.

Completed all the taping and conduiting of the harness I cut open in the bay, and put the catch cans back in a really inconspicuous spot.

This morning got it all back in, plumbed and wired the motor back up, exhaust back in, and now speedo all works fine.

Took it for a test drive and it was so much better, not flicking in and out of errors, driving perfect, 4 psi, flutters nicely and has the UEL header. Makes me happy.

Next block i'll try and get the other parts of interior back in, and get some kays on it. Then month or 2 time for it all to come back out and get it ready for body work.

Also when the motors out i'll send the piping off to get sandblasted and powdercoated, and either mount the washer bottle inside the car somewhere or find something from another car that i can get inside the guard or in the front bumper.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby Yowie » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:55 pm

Nice work. I can see one catch can near the passenger side strut tower. Where is the other?
Yowie

Postby rexhunta » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:23 am

Yowie wrote:Nice work. I can see one catch can near the passenger side strut tower. Where is the other?

They're both tucked together on the fire wall on the passenger side, pretty much same height as the starter motor.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:27 pm

Got a little bit on the front end done today. LCAs, hubs and swaybar links from the GD now in the car. Hoping this matches the rear track of the GD subframe. As usual, everything went in with no hassles at all.

Now basically apart from the actual swaybars themselves, the steering rack and the engine crossmember, everything under the car is now GD. This should confuse the smartass bloke at repco... hah.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:22 pm

Body work started. Car is stripped inside, just the main carpet and roofliner in.

First rough sand, filled few high spots.

Block sanded 80/120/240 after 3 coats of primer, brought as far down as I could, rest of the high fill done that I could see.

Reprimered 3 coats, ready for 240-400 wet and dry sand.

I only got these coats on today, so leaving until next shift break, and i'll get into sanding it all down again, and then leaving it for a week or 2 after that to let the primer cure more and settle.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby Yowie » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:38 pm

Impressive skills. If you don't mind me asking, how much of this sort of thing have you done before versus learning on this job?
Yowie

Postby rexhunta » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:37 am

Yowie wrote:Impressive skills. If you don't mind me asking, how much of this sort of thing have you done before versus learning on this job?

I painted my S13 Silvia back in ~2005. Had my uncle come and give pointers who used to be a panelbeater by trade back in the 80s. This time doing it all by memory and bit of youtube here and there, hence why I went and done the first prime pretty rough to block it, but the 2nd prime was as nice as i could get it so i can just 240/400 wet and dry then ready.

I had been prepping tools though, new 240lph free flow compressor and water seperators etc, new lines. Replaced all the internals of my spray gun so everything was new inside, and went through and made sure I had a heap of new mixing cups, paddles, wax and grease remover with spray bottles, and just general throw out stuff. Did make sure to get most of the sandpapers off ebay, 1/4 of the price then going to bunnings or a paint shop here.

( up at Collie Motorplex ~2005. Friends R34 4 door with a built SR and TD06. ) I loved my old S13 and probably one of the cars I most regret selling. CA18DET, 3 piece Watanabes, full JIC catalogue of suspension parts, greddy emanage, and heaps of other goodies, and had the cleanest interior and a non leaking sunroof !.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:20 pm

some actual Gen 4 news.

Been dicking around with a silly P0303 Cyl 3 Misfire for a long time, to the point I bought a spare scanner to reset it so I could leave my laptop at home, if it wasn't for the cruise control being disabled I really would've just left it.

When the air-con was kicking in, revs would drop to 650ish and it would throw 8-20 missfire codes on Romraider view. This was on idle alone, without driving. It would be fine driving, if you stopped and idled for 5 mins it would throw it. My IAM was sitting on .500. Idle would hunt around 650-660 with aircon on.

I worked through, replaced the coilpacks, the leads. I replaced the Spark plugs twice, originally had Bosch in, then changed to the NGK. I even tried 3 gaps on each plug, started at 1.1, went to 1.0 and then 0.9. I added a couple of extra ground across the head in case too. I was running constant 95 in the car as it is just a stock 2.5i. Tried Nulon upper engine cleaned, and then done the genuine Subaru upper cleaner twice as well as a trial as well.

The missfire was getting so bad it was happening each trip to work, so got a toolpro scanner to leave in the car. I ended up taking out injector 1 and 3 and flipping them about too, and also checked the fuel pressure in case.

Today was getting fed up after a couple of months of dealing of this ( I only work every 2nd week) so was messing around with it every block off. I got on the old googles, and found a shitload of threads on NASIOC, so started scanning through, and found out a decent thread on the problem, and the obvious checks, went through it, and found something I hadn't read before, to swap out the AFM.

Went through all my spares, and I had the exact AFM to suit the car. So went down to the servo, put in 1/2 a tank of 98, and changed out the AFM.

Reset the ECU, and my IAM finally came back upto 1.0, idle with aircon on now it sits around 750. Went for a fang to the servo, replicated what I generally do in the carpark ( open cap, wait ~5 mins to simulate filling ) and then head hom. Generally this will throw the code, not this time.

SO have I fixed ? I don't know, I'll continue filling it with 98 and keeping an eye on it.

rexhunta

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:22 am

Interesting, low idle plus idle misfires can originate from an inlet tract leak before the throttle plate.

If you still have the old maf, is the oring stretched or pinched?

Are the maf sensor wires clean inside the tube?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby rexhunta » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:30 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Interesting, low idle plus idle misfires can originate from an inlet tract leak before the throttle plate.

If you still have the old maf, is the oring stretched or pinched?

Are the maf sensor wires clean inside the tube?

O Ring looked fine, maf looked ok, slightly dirty but would not put it past being horrible in other places I couldn't see.

Could it also be caused by the throttle body gasket ?
rexhunta

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:59 am

Literally any inlet tract leak… try a diy smoke machine at a regulated 1-2psi with a bung in the inlet pipe after the airbox?
The throttlebody gasket has never given me grief though, on a GT it’s a whopper orange (nitrile?) oring.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods