Member Profile - Marcus' GT Spec B 6MT Wagon

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Marcus' GT Spec B 6MT Wagon

Postby marcus.bspec » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:43 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Just wrapping the fenders: that really demonstrates the utility of wrap. Bam, and done.

Yeah I have to agree with this one, is great not having to wait to get things painted, and the fenders came finished in a simple gloss white, which gave the vinyl a great surface to tack onto.

Is the car on a more or less stock alignment?
I ask because even with the wide guards the rims still appear to poke a tiny bit.
Interested to see the new alignment specs once it’s done.

They do poke a little more in the front due to the toe-out currently, when I adjusted caster the LCA got pulled in at the back and so I gave it a little less toe, all good now

If I'm honest though the most recent photos on the thread were taken before the tweaks were done, it doesn't poke as much now :)

Additionally, how do you set your ride height?
Are the tyre tops just below guard level?
I’ll be resetting mine asap as the rear springs have settled lower again, and I like some rake...

It's fairly even front and rear, and yes that's correct, top of the tyre just underneath the fender from a profile view.
The tyre has heaaappss of room to tuck with suspension travel and doesnt experience any rubbing or scrubbing :)

What’s the advantage of fibreglass vs FRP?
Is it strength? I’ve seen video of VG smashing splash moulds with a mash hammer and they don’t even dent!

Fibreglass is FRP (Fibre Reinforced Polymer) :)
I’ve been tracking progress of the Russian widebody kits.
At first it was all Pandem style, which imho really doesn’t fit the slab side BP/BL body.

Then the S209 came out and it was like a lightbulb went off: Fenderist revealed their kit that looked like it belonged on the car, at last, with the various tricky areas like rear quarters dealt with by the use of cutouts.

Then next minute, VG brings out a very similar looling kit: choices are great!

I love that there are now kits available, not entirely sure I would move away from stock body but it's nice to see manufacturers catering to our cars! :D
Last edited by marcus.bspec on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B | 6MT Wagon | instagram.com/marcus.bspec

2019.06.20 - 146 kw @wheels

2021.02.26 - 228 kw @wheels
marcus.bspec

Car: Subaru Liberty GT Spec B Wagon 6MT

Postby gtbsti » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:49 am

Love the look of those new fenders mate!
gtbsti

Car: MY08 GT Spec.B Tuned By STi Wagon
Profile URL: JDM Wagonist

Postby marcus.bspec » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:53 am

gtbsti wrote:Love the look of those new fenders mate!

Thanks legend!!! I appreciate it :D

marcus.bspec

Postby Turbo Lag » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:57 pm

Man your car is coming together very nicely. The wrap is working wonders when adding new parts clearly (the fenders :air_kiss:).

About your coilovers, how do you find the ride quality of them? Looks to be a pretty high spring rate for a Lib at 12/10. Always wondered what the Shockworks would feel like with similar springs.
'04 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Safety Pack Sedan 5MT & '08 Subaru Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI Wagon 6MT & '00 Toyota Altezza RS200-Z 6MT & '96 Honda CBR250RR MC22
Turbo Lag

Car: 04 2.5i & 08 TBSTI & Altezza
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36287

Postby marcus.bspec » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Turbo Lag wrote:Man your car is coming together very nicely. The wrap is working wonders when adding new parts clearly (the fenders :air_kiss:).

About your coilovers, how do you find the ride quality of them? Looks to be a pretty high spring rate for a Lib at 12/10. Always wondered what the Shockworks would feel like with similar springs.

Thankyou my friend, much appreciated!

With regards to the coilovers, the 12/10kg springs are not installed just yet, so I am yet to find out how they will ride :) Will update in future

marcus.bspec

Coating and Wrapping PSR Equal Length Header

Postby marcus.bspec » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Decided on an equal length header as the general consensus seems to be that they're more efficient overall, whilst aiding response and top-end performance.

I started by coating the header and up pipe in VHT Flameproof ceramic coat. It was then left to dry for a week, and then baked in an oven at stages of heat and cool-down.

headers coated.JPG
headers coated.JPG (39.54 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

They came out beautifully. The coat of VHT was purely intended to act as a heat-resistant surface protectant, I followed behind the coating with titanium exhaust wrap for insulative purposes, keeping the heat inside the header.

headers wrapped.JPG
headers wrapped.JPG (45.09 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Last edited by marcus.bspec on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcus.bspec

Hardrace rear upper arms - Camber correction

Postby marcus.bspec » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:53 pm

After months of work on fitment I was still having issues in the rear. The inside of the 9.5" wheel on either side was rubbing up against the chassis ever so slightly, and this became very annoying.

I had maxed out the positive adjustment available via the Whiteline upper outer camber adjustable bushings, but it was still rubbing the liner, which could be heard whilst driving.

control arms.JPG
control arms.JPG (49.28 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

I finally bit the bullet and installed some Hardrace rear upper arms, which solved my issues. Both front and rear fitment is perfect now, all that is left are the 10k and 12k springs front and rear respectively, that need installing.

marcus.bspec

Tuning Time... we can only hope...

Postby marcus.bspec » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:06 pm

The car is due in for a tune and servicing within the next few weeks, however with restrictions in Melbourne the way they are, this may not happen for a little while.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (44.63 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

It's all set to go, I wont have time to swap the headers and turbo around myself as work has been fairly stressful lately, I've just not had a chance to get around to it.

We are all set to go. A recap of what needs installing and a goal both present and future (power wise) below;

. Garret GTX2867R
. PSR Equal Length Exhaust manifold and Up pipe
. ID 1000cc Injectors
. Exedy HD Clutch

Goal for current setup - between 200-220kw atw // I am more concerned with overall driveability and response than peak power at this stage.

Here's to hoping all goes well, will have an update after its back home from the dyno.
Last edited by marcus.bspec on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marcus.bspec

Postby jdmsubielover » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:27 pm

One mint looking wagon mate. Love the wrap too!
07 Gen 4-BL 2.5i -5 spd man
jdmsubielover

Car: 2.5i Gen 4 BL - 5 Speed Manual

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Very interested to see how you go.
I have almost the exact same mods stashed for 5 years awaiting time and funds to install it all, but the stars never quite align for me :P
Eg now I have the time but the budget for little sundries just isn’t there.
Plus I want to attempt 1300’ heat shields tigged on the headers, I’m way too paranoid about oil leaks to wrap and ceramic might cost the same as the diy shielding. Aaaargh ocd!!! :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Hardrace rear upper arms - Camber correction

Postby Turbo Lag » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:12 pm

marcus.bspec wrote:After months of work on fitment I was still having issues in the rear. The inside of the 9.5" wheel on either side was rubbing up against the chassis ever so slightly, and this became very annoying.

I had maxed out the positive adjustment available via the Whiteline upper outer camber adjustable bushings, but it was still rubbing the liner, which could be heard whilst driving.

control arms.JPG

I finally bit the bullet and installed some Hardrace rear upper arms, which solved my issues. Both front and rear fitment is perfect now, all that is left are the 10k and 12k springs front and rear respectively, that need installing.

Have you installed these yet? I noticed on my set that one arm can be adjusted a lot further than the other - bit annoying when trying to max out rear camber. Not sure if I got a bad batch or something, but thankfully they work fine for a reasonable amount of camber that I'm happy with.
'04 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Safety Pack Sedan 5MT & '08 Subaru Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI Wagon 6MT & '00 Toyota Altezza RS200-Z 6MT & '96 Honda CBR250RR MC22
Turbo Lag

Car: 04 2.5i & 08 TBSTI & Altezza
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36287

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:08 am

Did you inspect the internal threads? They probably need chasing with a tap :)
bigBADbenny

Postby marcus.bspec » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:15 am

jdmsubielover wrote:One mint looking wagon mate. Love the wrap too!

Thanks mate much appreciated!!

bigBADbenny wrote:Very interested to see how you go.
I have almost the exact same mods stashed for 5 years awaiting time and funds to install it all, but the stars never quite align for me :P
Plus I want to attempt 1300’ heat shields tigged on the headers, I’m way too paranoid about oil leaks to wrap and ceramic might cost the same as the diy shielding. Aaaargh ocd!!! :P

Yeah that's more than fair, to be honest I might even invest in some form of heat shielding and ditch the wrap in future, depends on how it goes. I'm unsure if the whole 'oil catching fire' thing is much to worry about,
I cant say I've seen it happen before with titanium wrap, although there is now an extinguisher in the car with me if I am proven wrong :lol:

Plus the only thing majorly leaking right now is my PS Rack :lol:

Turbo Lag wrote:Have you installed these yet? I noticed on my set that one arm can be adjusted a lot further than the other - bit annoying when trying to max out rear camber. Not sure if I got a bad batch or something, but thankfully they work fine for a reasonable amount of camber that I'm happy with.

No issues for me, I installed them last week. I wasn't adding any camber though, I was taking some out.

They were equally adjustable for me :D

marcus.bspec

Postby marcus.bspec » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:15 am

jdmsubielover wrote:One mint looking wagon mate. Love the wrap too!

Thanks mate much appreciated!!

bigBADbenny wrote:Very interested to see how you go.

Yeah that's more than fair, to be honest I might even invest in some form of heat shielding and ditch the wrap in future, depends on how it goes. I'm unsure if the whole 'oil catching fire' thing is much to worry about,
I cant say I've seen it happen before with titanium wrap, although there is now an extinguisher in the car with me if I am proven wrong :lol:

Plus the only thing majorly leaking right now is my PS Rack :lol:

Turbo Lag wrote:Have you installed these yet? I noticed on my set that one arm can be adjusted a lot further than the other - bit annoying when trying to max out rear camber. Not sure if I got a bad batch or something, but thankfully they work fine for a reasonable amount of camber that I'm happy with.

No issues for me, I installed them last week. I wasn't adding any camber though, I was taking some out.

They were equally adjustable for me :D

marcus.bspec

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:36 am

It’s rare for them to catch on fire, eg you need a decent oil leak to make it happen.
I’d be investing in some of those stick-on extinguisher panels for the chassis rails & firewall for complete peace of mind. :P
bigBADbenny

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods